a little excitement

Old July 11th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

Default a little excitement

Today Cali decided to eat a neon rubber fish worm. It was 4 inches long
and she got it before I could grab it. I had my finger in her mouth to try
and get it back but she was too fast for me. I called the vet asap and
luckily they were still in for the day. I wasn't sure if the item would
pass or if I should try to induce vomiting somehow. Anyway, since I called
the vet right away, she said it would be better to induce vomiting than to
wait for it to pass. She ordered a dose of hydrogen perioxide (1 teaspoon)
and within 2 minutes Cali had thrown up several times, including the intact
neon worm! Anyway, just thought I share this story because I found it
interesting that hydrogen perioxide could be used in this situation. I was
amazed at how fast it worked and very glad to have Cali ok without too much
worrying.

Old July 11th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:10:43 -0400, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Anyway, just thought I share this story because I found it
interesting that hydrogen perioxide could be used in this situation. I was
amazed at how fast it worked and very glad to have Cali ok without too much
worrying.

We're very familiar with "Mr Brown Bottle". I keep a bottle in the
car - you never know........

--
Janet Boss
Old July 11th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:40:17 -0700, Debbie the Dogged
, clicked their heels and said:

Also discovered that canned pumpkin is another good medical supply.

yup. some things need to be helped through. I gave the dogs some
femure bones one time last year. It was the night before a flyball
tournament, and I wanted them to chill and not exercise, figured it
would be a good stress reliever. I had given the same brand (cooked)
before and had the bones around forever. Only this time, the company
had goofed and before I knew it, the dogs had CONSUMED these things. I
picked up all of the pieces I could, immediately, but they had already
swallowed a lot. I hadn't supervised, since this had always been a
safe product.

The next day, we had severely constipated dogs, who needed to race as
well. Franklin was straining and passing blood and really
uncomfortable. I gave him a LOT of pumpkin with his meal that
evening, and by Sunday morning, all was well.

I always have some on hand and will never give ANYTHING potentially
problematic the night before a tournament, ever again!

--
Janet Boss
Old July 11th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Janet B wrote:

[...]

My dogs are prone to tournament-induced diarrhea. In addition to
bringing our own water supply from home, when we go racing they get
pumpkin for their evening veggies on Friday and Saturday night. It seems
to prevent the runs and promote a hearty early morning dump without
endless walking.

Another first aid remedy I've heard of for dogs that have ingested sharp
foreign objects is feeding them cotton balls dipped in heavy cream.
Supposedly the cotton fibers help to trap the fragments and shards and
carry them safely through the digestive tract.

As to the use of peroxide to induce vomiting, make sure what you're
using is the first aid type of peroxide and not hair bleach. You would
think this would go without saying but I was at a friend's house when
her dog snatched up and ate a pill that had dropped to the floor. I
told her we needed to give the dog some peroxide to induce vomiting and
she emerged from the bathroom carrying a bottle of 30 volume hair
bleach. Yikes!

Kathleen

Old July 11th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Kathleen said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

told her we needed to give the dog some peroxide to induce
vomiting and she emerged from the bathroom carrying a
bottle of 30 volume hair bleach. Yikes!

Was your friend blonde?

I always keep 3% hydrogen peroxide on hand. There are better
vomit inducers, but they don't have the shelf life of H202.
Plus, it can be used as an antiseptic or rocket propellant.

Old July 11th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Rocky wrote:

Kathleen said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

told her we needed to give the dog some peroxide to induce
vomiting and she emerged from the bathroom carrying a
bottle of 30 volume hair bleach. Yikes!

Was your friend blonde?

You betcha. By disposition, if not natural pigmentation.

Kathleen

Old July 11th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

In regards to cotton balls, I recommend shredding the cotton balls
before giving them to the dogs that have swallowed sharp objects. I've
also heard that instead of heavy cream you can soak them in milk of
magnesia to help get things moving.

Although most of the time I have found hydrogen peroxide to work, it
doesn't work with every dog. I know a beagle who you can give as much
of it as you want and he will not vomit. Although it is convenient in
that it is readily available and cheap, so I always recommend it first.

Old July 12th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Thanks Debbie for the Pumpkin Post It is good to know.....I had never
heard of such a thing.

Be Free,
Judy

Old July 12th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:10:43 -0400, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Anyway, just thought I share this story because I found it
interesting that hydrogen perioxide could be used in this situation. I
was
amazed at how fast it worked and very glad to have Cali ok without too
much
worrying.

We're very familiar with "Mr Brown Bottle". I keep a bottle in the
car - you never know........

I hadn't heard of using it like that before but it is certainly on the list
to remember for the future. It was very helpful!

Last Night's Excitement shelly Dog behavior 35 June 10th 05 04:10 PM
A bit of excitement ceb Dog behavior 9 May 17th 05 08:56 PM
A little excitement [email protected] Dog behavior 26 November 10th 04 01:42 AM
Morning excitement D.Currie Dog behavior 53 July 1st 04 07:54 AM
Morning excitement D.Currie Dog behavior 0 June 28th 04 02:13 AM