Good Food For Dog With Allergies

Old July 11th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Good Food For Dog With Allergies

Can anyone here recommend a good food for dogs with food allergies?

My dog was itching like crazy and we went to the vet this weekend for
the second time regarding this problem. The vet is pretty sure he has
food allergies and said to swich to Hill's Sciend Diet z/d (which they
just happen to sell). He doesn't seem to mind the dry stuff, but the
cans he won't even look at. I don't blame him- it doesn't even look
like food, more like meat flavored Jello.

Can anyone recommend an alternative brand of hypoallergenic canned food
to give him that can be purchased at the pet store? I was told that if
he doesn't like this one that there is another brand that the vet could
sell me, but it would have to be on special order, which of course
meens more money for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old July 12th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On 11 Jul 2006 09:21:49 -0700, wrote:

Can anyone here recommend a good food for dogs with food allergies?

My dog was itching like crazy and we went to the vet this weekend for
the second time regarding this problem. The vet is pretty sure he has
food allergies and said to swich to Hill's Sciend Diet z/d (which they
just happen to sell). He doesn't seem to mind the dry stuff, but the
cans he won't even look at. I don't blame him- it doesn't even look
like food, more like meat flavored Jello.

Can anyone recommend an alternative brand of hypoallergenic canned food
to give him that can be purchased at the pet store? I was told that if
he doesn't like this one that there is another brand that the vet could
sell me, but it would have to be on special order, which of course
meens more money for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If he's doing fine on the dry food, you shouldn't need to give him any
canned food. I don't give any of my dogs canned food, even the one
who has allergies. The dry is better for them anyway, from what I
understand. So if your dog likes the Science Diet kibble, don't worry
about finding a canned food he likes. Feed him kibble.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old July 12th 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

I agree that if your dog will the kibble then give him the kibble. z/d
really is your best choice and if that doesn't work I have alot of
clients that love the IVD food also. It can be costly but it is well
worth the price when you start seeing results.

Good luck!!

Old July 12th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon

If he's doing fine on the dry food, you shouldn't need to give him any
canned food. I don't give any of my dogs canned food, even the one
who has allergies.

Ditto that. And if you feel you want to treat your dog while he's on Z/D
(remember, it has to be exclusive), try baby carrots. Or take some of the
alotted dry kibble for the day and put it in a zipper baggie and pop it in
the freezer. The dogs love the cold crunchiness of this treat and you never
stray from the diet!

Old July 13th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Sharon" wrote in message
If he's doing fine on the dry food, you shouldn't need to give him any
canned food. I don't give any of my dogs canned food, even the one
who has allergies.

Ditto that.

.............I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Canned food is
more digestible, IMHO.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 13th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon

............I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Canned food is
more digestible, IMHO.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the canned Z/D is a new product
and the palatability is in the basement. If the dog is eating the Z/D
kibble, he is getting everything he needs.

Old July 13th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Sharon" wrote in message
I think it has more to do with the fact that the canned Z/D is a new

product
and the palatability is in the basement. If the dog is eating the Z/D
kibble, he is getting everything he needs.

.........Oh, OK, didn't realize you were talking specifically about Z/D.
Dogs won't eat the canned stuff huh! Never found a dog yet that was at all
interested in I/D.

Old July 13th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon

........Oh, OK, didn't realize you were talking specifically about Z/D.
Dogs won't eat the canned stuff huh! Never found a dog yet that was at
all
interested in I/D.

I don't know why Hills jumped to get a canned version out. We've never had a
dog turn his nose up at the dry Z/D and for those with allergies it has been
a god send. We actually use I/D at the office all the time for dogs who have
stress related diarrhea or sensitive stomach due to other reasons. They eat
it right up.

But canned Z/D and K/D are real losers!