Doggie Door Fear or Obedience?

Old July 13th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Doggie Door Fear or Obedience?

I've an older dog, she's 10, who is one of the BEST dogs I've ever
owned ...She is almost telepathic in her obedience! I just have to
THINK about something and she does it! Great Dog!

I recently got my daughter a young dog, and since it's pretty
convenient to have a doggie door, we put one in.

Older Dog is fine to open the door up and hop on out. Younger Dog is
reluctant to open the door, but will follow Older Dog out (sometimes on
top of her!) when she opens it.

My "problem" is that the Older Dog is so well-trained, that she thinks
that I have to be here for her to go outside. When I tell her to go
out, she will do it instantly; but she does not take it upon herself to
go out (or in) unless I specifically command it.

How do I remedy this? (She gladly can "hold it" for over twelve hours.
Pup cannot. And I've left them out until almost midnight, thinking
they'd get bored and come in to join the family.)

Hints? Suggestions? What worked for you??

Thanks in advance,
SunnySouthTexas

Old July 18th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 17 Jul 2006 19:37:56 -0700, "SunnySouthTexas"
, clicked their heels and said:

Well, I think it was a combination of ...
Hold the Door
Entice with Treats
Call, in a very sweet & happy voice
and REPEAT (ad nauseum) about a million times!

OK ... Problem solved!
Thanks so much for the help, I guess things eventually work themselves
out ... if given enough time!

Maybe. She may be reluctant to push the panel. I would
tack/tape/clip the panel up and out of the way right now (sorry if
bugs are a problem, but hanging a piece of screen may help and still
be ok). Let her come and go freely without the flap. Then arrange it
so the flap is partially open, and she has to push it the rest of the
way herself. A little peanut butter on the flap may help encourage
that.

I remember taking care of a little mixed terrier, many years ago. She
would fly out the dog door with my dog, but when it came time to come
in, she would stand on the frame, half in and half out, and whine. If
you called her through, she came. She wasn't with me long enough for
us to wait her out enough to make her do it on her own, so I
understand the million times. Just keep plugging. A lot of dogs
don't like pushing to open something they can't see through.
--
Janet Boss