Second dog

Old July 13th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tal Amir

Default Second dog

we have a 9 months old vizsla\pitbill. he has a lot of energy
(obviously) and since we work long hours he spends a lot of time on his
own. we keep him seperated from the rest of the house (in the kitchen)
when we're out because he chews on EVERYTHING. will bringing a new
friend make things better ? will they play, and therefor he will NOT
want to trash the house since he's board, or will they just party
together and make an even bigger mess ?

Old July 13th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tal Amir

so our best bet is to keep him by himself ? i kinda feel bad for him
having to spend 8-10 hours a day (and then all night) by himself....
i'm really on the fence on this one... HELP !

diddy wrote:
in thread ups.com: "Tal
Amir" whittled the following words:

we have a 9 months old vizsla\pitbill. he has a lot of energy
(obviously) and since we work long hours he spends a lot of time on his
own. we keep him seperated from the rest of the house (in the kitchen)
when we're out because he chews on EVERYTHING. will bringing a new
friend make things better ? will they play, and therefor he will NOT
want to trash the house since he's board, or will they just party
together and make an even bigger mess ?

Definitely the PARTY is ON!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 13th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

so our best bet is to keep him by himself ? i kinda feel bad for him
having to spend 8-10 hours a day (and then all night) by himself....
i'm really on the fence on this one... HELP !

I think that is too much time to be alone. try to find a way to get him
some people company, like a dog walker or you coming home to check on him.
maybe you can give him lots of exercise before he is left alone and some
good toys for when you're gone (like food in a kong or something). not sure
if this is enough but hoepfully you can find a way to improve this dog's
situation

Old July 13th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tal Amir

he gets a good walk in the morning, one in the evening and one at night
before bed time. he has some toys with him in the kitchen for when we
are gone, and twice a week my wife is able to stop by on her lunch
brake, play with him a little and take him for a 10-15 min walk.
we love him so much, and just cant be mad at him for trashing things,
since we understand he's doing it cause he's board out of his mind...
we're really on the fence about a second dog, we know it will make his
life better for sure, but ours will either be a double hell or
paradise, according to how they get along.
did anyone here go through something similar ?

Old July 13th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 13 Jul 2006 07:53:28 -0700, "Tal Amir" ,
clicked their heels and said:

i kinda feel bad for him
having to spend 8-10 hours a day (and then all night) by himself....

why all night? Why isn't he sleeping with you?

Both breeds are incredibly high energy. What training and exercise
does this dog get? Without both, you're doomed for a long time.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 13th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 13 Jul 2006 09:45:19 -0700, "Tal Amir" ,
clicked their heels and said:

he doesnt get any professional training since we're suffering from lack
of time.

Can I ask why you decided to get a dog? Dogs take a lot of time and
energy, especially at the beginning and end of their lives. Different
dogs have different level of need, but your particular mix is in great
need of daily aerobic activity and consistent training.

I hate to say this, but if you don't think you can provide what your
dog needs, you may want to consider rehoming. Dogs deserve a home who
can provide for their needs.

Like so many other things in life, it usually boils down to time or
money. If you're short on both, it's not responsible to be the
caregiver to another living being.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 13th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 13 Jul 2006 09:45:19 -0700, "Tal Amir" wrote:

he doesnt get any professional training since we're suffering from lack
of time. we try to train him as best as we can our selfs. he gets a 20
min walk in the morning before we leave, a 20-30 min walk in the
evening when we get home, and another 15 min before bed time. we also
try to play with him and give him lots of love and attention when we
get home, but sometimes it doesnt work... (we get home after a hard
day, hoping for a rest, when HIS day is just begining..)
so we do our best, but we also realize that its not enough for him.
maybe a day care is a good solution but we dont (and cant) give an arm
and a leg for it... those places are not very cheap.
any readers from jersey here ? can anyone recommand anything in the
tri-stae area ?

Enroll yourself in a good OBEDIENCE TRAINING class. They usually meet
once or twice per week. You'll pick up the basics of OBEDIENCE
TRAINING there, and get to discuss "problems" with a qualified
(hopefully) trainer.

Then use those 3 walks a day as TRAINING opportunities. Run your dog
through the basics while you're out on walks. Say use one walk for a
really good physical workout, especially if you're into jogging. Use
the other two "walk" sessions for OBEDIENCE TRAINING, too. Mental
exercise is as important as physical exercise to the well-being of a
dog.

Look, you've got a "problem," Tal. It's not going to go away by
itself. It's only going to go away if *you* do something about it.

This wouldn't take much more (if any) individual time than you're
currently giving him, but it will be PRODUCTIVE time.

And you'll see the results pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Janet B wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006 07:53:28 -0700, "Tal Amir" ,
clicked their heels and said:

i kinda feel bad for him
having to spend 8-10 hours a day (and then all night) by himself....

why all night? Why isn't he sleeping with you?

Both breeds are incredibly high energy. What training and exercise
does this dog get? Without both, you're doomed for a long time.

--
Janet Boss

Handsome Jack Morrison

Scientists Question Nature's Fundamental Laws...oh noooooo!
"If this principle is broken, then two objects dropped in a gravitational field
should fall at slightly different rates. Moreover, Einstein's gravitational theory
'general relativity' would no longer be completely correct, Martins says."
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...e_tuesday.html
Old July 13th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tal Amir

things changed in our lives sice we took him, one of them was me taking
a job with a long commute that keeps me out of the house for longer
hours. i have no doubt that we give him better life that he could ever
get in that shelter we rescued him from, so i have no regrets for
taking him. we'll continue doing our best for him, he truly deserves
it.

Old July 13th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Tal Amir" wrote in message:

he doesnt get any professional training since we're suffering from lack
of time. we try to train him as best as we can our selfs.

Training is best done in small amounts of time, anyway. Take the time
between commercials on TV, or while you're waiting for the water to boil for
your tea to get in some quick work. Do this multiple times a day, but it
doesn't have to be longer than 5-10 minutes at a time.

he gets a 20
min walk in the morning before we leave, a 20-30 min walk in the
evening when we get home, and another 15 min before bed time.

Just for perspective, my two older dogs ( one is 7 or 8, the other 5) get an
hour long walk in the morning, and either an hour at the dog park, or
another hour long walk in the evening. Sometimes, this has meant walking at
5:00 in the morning in -10 degree weather, but you have to do what is good
for the dog. Over the weekends, we try to do something more, and tend to go
on longer hikes.

maybe a day care is a good solution but we dont (and cant) give an arm
and a leg for it... those places are not very cheap.

You don't have to send him to daycare everyday. Once or twice a week might
make a big difference. However, this is no substitute for time you spend in
exercising him, mentally and physically.

Suja

Old July 13th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tal Amir

we also take him to the dog park on the weekends, somtimes on both
saturday and sunday, for 1-2 hours each time.. he runs around, gets
tired and wants to rest on his sofa for the rest of the day when we get
home.. i wish we could give him that more often but we cant...

we'll look for some traiing classes we can take with him on the
weekends and will consider the day care once or twice a week. thanks
for the advise everyone ! i'll be happy to get any recommendations that
you may have for trainers \ day care facilities.