Running Away and Out of Sight When off Leash

Old July 17th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Running Away and Out of Sight When off Leash

My neighbour and I walk our 3 border collies most mornings in a very
large urban park.
One of these dogs is a five year-old dog that is not neutered. His name

is Fyles. They bought him when he was about eight weeks old and to
their knowledge, he did not have any traumatic experiences at any time.

Fyles has always been skittish around bicycles, young children and
skateboards. When he is walked on his leash after school is out, he
usually pulls on his leash and wants to return home. There are no young

children in his household.
The real problems occur when we walk the dogs off-leash in the large
park mentioned above. Fyles' ears go back and his tail goes down when
he sees a bicycle. Prior to a couple of weeks ago he usually ran just
off the path into the tall grass or a few yards up the ravine. A
couple of times he ran up the ravine and out of sight. Sometimes he
found us after about 15 minutes and once we called him and searched for

about an hour. However, we also saw what he was running from.
In the last couple of weeks he is running away and out of sight several

times a day. Sometimes we see a bicycle. Other times there is another
person walking a dog about 30 yards away. On some occasions we cannot
see anything. He runs up the ravine and out of sight and he disappears
for anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Old July 17th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Obedience training, and a reliable recall. You can't expect the dog to
stay around without training. It could be many things that make it
bolt on you. But with training, hopefully you can get the dog's
obedience training to be it's natural reaction when it wants to run.