Pit-boxer stubborness

Old July 18th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
The Anachronistic Anarchist

Default Pit-boxer stubborness

I just got a six month old pit-boxer mix who is rather bull-headed. He
is super nice and super friendly, but he jumps on people, pulls on the
leash, and pretty much ignores my commands! I'm pretty consistent with
him, but he is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions?

Old July 18th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 18 Jul 2006 08:58:27 -0700, "The Anachronistic Anarchist"
, clicked their heels and said:

I just got a six month old pit-boxer mix who is rather bull-headed. He
is super nice and super friendly, but he jumps on people, pulls on the
leash, and pretty much ignores my commands! I'm pretty consistent with
him, but he is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions?

training.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 18th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

The Anachronistic Anarchist wrote:
I just got a six month old pit-boxer mix who is rather bull-headed. He
is super nice and super friendly, but he jumps on people, pulls on the
leash, and pretty much ignores my commands! I'm pretty consistent with
him, but he is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions?

You need to teach him how to greet people, how to walk on lead, and
what those commands mean. There's no such thing as a stubborn dog.
All that really means is that the dog doesn't understand what's wanted,
or hasn't been given sufficient motivation to do it.

Lynn K.

Old July 18th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
The Anachronistic Anarchist

I understand the concepts, but he doesn't seem to pay attention to me:
He avoids eye contact and wont respond if I call his name. The only
time he acknowledges me is when he is tethered, or when he wants
something. He loves flirting with everyone else though. He will stop
and stare at people, and other animals, from across the street. Also,
I have to nudge him to sit. This is rather disconcerting considering I
he knows the sit command. I wonder if he is misses his former guardian
and is experiencing some type of seperation anxiety. Could it possibly
be a dominance issue?

Old July 18th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 18 Jul 2006 11:44:08 -0700, "The Anachronistic Anarchist"
wrote:

I understand the concepts, but he doesn't seem to pay attention to me:

Then apparently you don't understand the concepts as well as you need
to -- or he'd be paying attention to you.

time he acknowledges me is when he is tethered, or when he wants
something. He loves flirting with everyone else though. He will stop
and stare at people, and other animals, from across the street. Also,
I have to nudge him to sit. This is rather disconcerting considering I
he knows the sit command. I wonder if he is misses his former guardian
and is experiencing some type of seperation anxiety. Could it possibly
be a dominance issue?

No.

It's an OWNER issue.

It's almost always an OWNER issue.

Your dog sounds like any other dog who hasn't been properly OBEDIENCE
TRAINED.

So my advice to you is to enroll your dog and yourself in a good
OBEDIENCE TRAINING class, or find a good professional trainer who will
show you the ropes, etc.

Your vet can usually help you find one and/or both.

Good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

I stand with Israel.
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/005547.htm

Two books that every American (and Canadian) should read:

1) The Rage and The Pride, by Orianna Fallaci
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J13521A6D

2) The Force of Reason, by Orianna Fallaci
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T42552A6D

While they still can.

A little history lesson about Israel:
http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/200...ry-lesson.html
Old July 18th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

on 2006-07-18 at 11:44 wrote:

I understand the concepts,

Do you? And, does the dog? It sounds to me like the two of
you would benefit from a training class. If nothing else, it
will improve your bond to each other and will help him learn
to look to you for guidance.

He avoids eye contact

Not having seen it in person, I can't really diagnose what's
happening. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that
he's unsure of himself, and you trying to force eye contact
could make the problem worse. This is one of those areas
where dominance and leadership can get hopelessly confused. If
you try to forcibly assert yourself over him, you could do
more harm than good. If he's feeling unsure of himself, then
providing non-confrontational leadership will teach him to
trust you as an authority figure. Honestly, this is really
something you should go to a trainer for, so that *you* can
develop the skills you need.

--
Shelly
Old July 18th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
The Anachronistic Anarchist

Wasn't trying to force eye contact; I agree that coercion is a bad
idea. He might be frustrating, but he is still a sentient being. I
think a trainer is probably a good idea. I just wanted some feedback
first. He is super smart and I think he will get it. He is already
doing better on the lead.

Thank you.

Old July 19th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 18 Jul 2006 11:44:08 -0700, "The Anachronistic Anarchist"
, clicked their heels and said:

I understand the concepts, but he doesn't seem to pay attention to me:

You really could use some in person help here. I've found that
understanding the concepts and putting them into practice, isn't
something so simple for a lot of people and their dogs. A group class
should suit your needs just fine.

--
Janet Boss
Old July 19th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 18 Jul 2006 18:54:20 -0700, "The Anachronistic Anarchist"
wrote:

I need a Valium now.

[...]

You've *reposted* over *4000* freakin' lines of Jerry Howe's drivel,
just so you could add 2 freakin' sentences of your own to the
conversation???

boggle

What a freakin' maroon.

Bub-bye.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Understanding Hezbollah’s rockets:Katyushas and the failed Westphalian system.
http://austinbay.net/blog/?p=1307

I stand with Israel.
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/005547.htm

Two books that every American (and Canadian) *must* read:

Old July 19th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

The Anachronistic Anarchist wrote:
Wasn't trying to force eye contact; I agree that coercion is a bad
idea. He might be frustrating, but he is still a sentient being. I
think a trainer is probably a good idea. I just wanted some feedback
first.

The best thing you can do, I think, is get enrolled in a class with
him. Aside from obedience issues, it will do a world of good in
terms of building a relationship between the two of you.

He is super smart and I think he will get it.

Of course he is, he's a bully! I'm a *huge* fan of both Pit Bulls
and Boxers, so I'm a little biased, but they're damnfine dogs.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)