What a bloody mystery.

Old July 23rd 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
John

Default What a bloody mystery.

We left the house for a few hours and when we came home, the dogs ran
downstairs to greet us.

That is rather unusual since they tend to prefer the downstairs. They're all
excited and panting but otherwise look rather happy. Normally, there's
someone always home but they're been left alone for a few hours quite a few
times before.

We go upstairs and I'm astonished. There's blood everywhere. It almost
resembles a crime scene.

Blood all over the walls, doors, floors. Droplets 4 feet up the walls,
streams of blood on the walls as if squirted from a ketchup bottle. But no
blood on the stairs.

One of the dogs has blood on his muzzle. Did they get into a fight? They
sleep and play together. We carefully check each dog over for any wounds. We
use our eyes and hands over all their bodies and can't find the smallest cut.
Not a drop a blood on the skin. We open their mouths looking for an interior
bite mark. None. No cuts on the ears. Aside from being very thirsty and
heavily panting (the house is air conditioned and reasonably cool), they're
in extremely good spirits.

If the dogs didn't get into a fight, did someone get into the house?

We check out all the rooms behind the closed doors and no blood or unusual
activity can be found.

Did the dogs find a small animal? No fur or body parts are found.

We're still perplexed. I'm thinking of getting a nanny-cam and see what's
going on when we leave the house.
Old July 23rd 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

John wrote:
[...]

Holy cow. I guess you can't rule out the possibility that they may have
killed and eaten some sort of invading critter. But when my dogs have
caught bunnies they are dispatched and consumed pretty much whole. A
couple of quick crunches and it's all over. No squirting blood, and
certainly no leftovers. I guess it's possible that pair of them may
have engaged in a tug-o-war over the victim that led to the mess...
Still, it sounds like an awful lot of blood to have come from something
that could be entirely consumed.

Actually, I think if I encountered a similar scenario I might have
called the police and at least alerted them to the fact that there may
be a chewed-up burgler visiting a local ER. And maybe they'd have some
sort of quick test to see if the blood was human or animal.

Too weird...

Kathleen

Old July 23rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:
Holy cow. I guess you can't rule out the possibility that they may have
killed and eaten some sort of invading critter.

That's my guess.

But when my dogs have
caught bunnies they are dispatched and consumed pretty much whole.

That's what my Siberians do, but when my Newf/Collie cross
caught a mouse she was less interested in devouring it than
a typical Siberian would be and she managed to somehow
spatter mouse blood all over the kitchen. It was a shocking
amount of blood for such a tiny critter.

Bad policies lead to bad results.
Old July 23rd 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:52:37 GMT, John wrote:

We're still perplexed. I'm thinking of getting a nanny-cam and see what's
going on when we leave the house.

Puncture wounds can be very difficult to locate. They don't normally
bleed much, but if a major blood vessel was punctured, it could produce
enough pressure to squirt blood like you've described, then it may have
closed back up.

If it were me, I would *not* be leaving these two dogs loose together
unsupervised again. I would also be making a vet appointment, just to
be on the safe side. They may seem fine now, but something may crop up
later (BTDT and it was no fun for poor Miss Brown). If one of them does
have a puncture wound, it could go septic without treatment.

--
Shelly

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
-- Albert Einstein

Old July 23rd 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 23 Jul 2006 14:29:51 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

That's what my Siberians do,

Harriet, too, fur and all. The only evidence is that she usually has
blood smeared on her face and feet. With two dogs, they would tug the
critter in half, then each would repair to their own side of the yard to
dine.

--
Shelly

When a Cabbage Patch baby dies, I think we all feel the pain.
-- Melora Creager
Old July 23rd 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

I was first thinking that maybe one of the dogs had blood coming from its
nose, one of my dogs had that once, but after re-reading your post it almost
sounds like the dogs chased something like a mouse upstairs, caught it and
flung it around after it was wounded. You said they seemed all excited and
thirsty when you got home. I just don't understand how a dog could catch a
mouse in the house, or why would there be a mouse in the house in the summer
time; they usually come in in the fall and winter months. Maybe it was some
other type of small animal, but how would it get into the house? Obviously,
it is gone now; they must have eaten it. Maybe you will spot something
strange in their poops.

Old July 23rd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Kathleen wrote:

Holy cow. I guess you can't rule out the possibility that they may have
killed and eaten some sort of invading critter.

That's my guess.

But when my dogs have
caught bunnies they are dispatched and consumed pretty much whole.

That's what my Siberians do, but when my Newf/Collie cross
caught a mouse she was less interested in devouring it than
a typical Siberian would be and she managed to somehow
spatter mouse blood all over the kitchen. It was a shocking
amount of blood for such a tiny critter.

My jack taught the two BCs to hunt. He caught and killed a bunny right
in front of them. They were impressed. Then he was startled into
dropping it only half consumed. The male BC darted in and grabbed the
remainder and gobbled it whole. Since then all three of them are
obsessed with bunnies. Anything caught is consumed whole and on the run
to avoid sharing. Fast food really is addictive.

Kathleen

Kathleen

Old July 23rd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:04:16 GMT, "pfoley" wrote:

I just don't understand how a dog could catch a
mouse in the house,

The same way a cat would.

http://cat-sidh.net/blog/?p=466

--
Shelly

I imagine that yes is the only living thing.
-- e.e. cummings
Old July 23rd 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Toni

"John" wrote in message

Blood all over the walls, doors, floors. Droplets 4 feet up the walls,
streams of blood on the walls as if squirted from a ketchup bottle. But
no blood on the stairs.

One of the dogs has blood on his muzzle. Did they get into a fight? They
sleep and play together. We carefully check each dog over for any wounds.
We use our eyes and hands over all their bodies and can't find the
smallest cut. Not a drop a blood on the skin. We open their mouths looking
for an interior bite mark. None. No cuts on the ears. Aside from being
very thirsty and heavily panting (the house is air conditioned and
reasonably cool), they're in extremely good spirits.

I know you said you looked in their mouths, but double check all their
tongues. A cut or bitten tongue will bleed like the dickens, and they flap
them all around flinging it everywhere. It can make quite the mess.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com