positive roundworm test

Old July 26th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default positive roundworm test

Cali tested postive for roundworm in January and was given a deworming
(drontal). She had another deworming in February though wasn't tested that
month. She's been on interceptor reguarly since January. She also had some
doses in October and November but not December. Today, I saw a worm in her
stool and took her (and the stool) to the vet. They tested it and sure
enough it was roundworm. They gave her drontal (a big pill and another half
of one) and sent me on the way. They said they should have tested her in
Feb and on until it was gone because obviously the first doses didn't work.
This was the first time multiple testing was mentioned. I get so frustrated
with them sometimes though I guess I could have also asked about it sooner.
Anyway, I was reading things on the net and most places say to gets meds
every 10-14 days. The vet wants to see Cali in a month. Should I call them
and see if they will see her in 10-14 days? What is the norm for this? As
for Maui, they said that since he was on interceptor for almost 2 years he
should be ok. Does this sound right? I still may take a sample of his
stool next time just in case because the test is cheap enough ($12) and
worth the peace of mind.

In other news, I finally got a chance to ask the tech again about the
Z/D for Maui. The tech said she'd ask the vet to see if they would agree to
a prescription (I didn't see the vet at all today). I hope so because it is
worth a shot. It sounds expensive (8 pounds for $21 plus tax) but worth it
to me if it helps his ears.

Old July 26th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:26:48 -0400, "MauiJNP" wrote:

[...]

I don't have anything to add about the deworming, but I have to ask if
you have been able to change vets yet or if this is a different vet
that is not giving you information? If you are concerned about the
wait list, just call another vet and make an appointment for whenever
they have one. Keep going to the vet you are with for whatever comes
up before the appointment since you don't want to go without any vet
care, but keep the appointment with the new vet even if there is
nothing going on at that time. Take the dogs in for checks just to
get them on the patient list if you have to. Ask questions about
worms and ears and allergies even if they seem to have been resolved
by then. It sounds from what I have caught like you back down from
changing vets because the crisis goes away, just to find more
dissatisfaction as more comes up or the same old things end up not
being resolved and you still aren't getting explanations that reassure
you or care that resolves it once and for all. Just make an
appointment with a recommended vet even if it is a year from now and
go when it comes up even if you have nothing urgent to discuss or it
looks like this will be the story of your life. Different chapters
with different problems but same story.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old July 27th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

"Paula" wrote in message
[...]

they won't set an appointment unless you are a client and I can't become a
client until they are accepting new ones, otherwise I'd like this idea

Keep going to the vet you are with for whatever comes
up before the appointment since you don't want to go without any vet
care, but keep the appointment with the new vet even if there is
nothing going on at that time. Take the dogs in for checks just to
get them on the patient list if you have to. Ask questions about
worms and ears and allergies even if they seem to have been resolved
by then. It sounds from what I have caught like you back down

no, just waiting for the vet to start accepting new clients.

Old July 27th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

MauiJNP wrote:

they won't set an appointment unless you are a client and I can't become a
client until they are accepting new ones, otherwise I'd like this idea

Aren't there vets in any nearby towns who you could go to? I live
in a pretty remote area, but there are about a gazillion vets within
an hour's drive. Some of them aren't accepting new clients, but the
majority of them are. For something like this, where it's an
on-going problem that your current vet seems incapable of dealing
with, it seems to me like it would be worth traveling a little bit.
If nothing else, I'd take him to the emergency vet.

Honestly, it sounds like these folks are kind of awful. Whether
it's because they're loosey-goosey with their diagnostics/care or
whether it's down to bad communication skills, it doesn't really
matter. The bottom line is that your dog's needs aren't getting met
there.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old July 29th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

they won't set an appointment unless you are a client and I can't become
client until they are accepting new ones, otherwise I'd like this idea

Aren't there vets in any nearby towns who you could go to? I live in a
pretty remote area, but there are about a gazillion vets within an hour's
drive. Some of them aren't accepting new clients, but the majority of
them are. For something like this, where it's an on-going problem that
your current vet seems incapable of dealing with, it seems to me like it
would be worth traveling a little bit.

I made a call to the vet that I dealt with years ago when I had chinchillas.
She was a great vet and I trusted her to neuter my chinchillas and fix the
hernia on one too. I have to call again becuase they were closing and not
sure about the availability.

If nothing else, I'd take him to the emergency vet.

well, there are 2 around me (meaning within 1 hour) and one of them is
largely responsible for the death of my previous poodle (the one I had
growing up) so I don't trust them. the other one is probably a good option
and depending on what the "chinchilla" vet says, I may end up taking Maui to
the ER vet.

Honestly, it sounds like these folks are kind of awful. Whether it's
because they're loosey-goosey with their diagnostics/care or whether it's
down to bad communication skills, it doesn't really matter. The bottom
line is that your dog's needs aren't getting met there.

yeah, Cali is scheduled for spaying in about 3 weeks and I am really feeling
worried about the care she will recieve. That's why I am keeping my fingers
crossed that the "chinchilla" vet will accept new patients.

Old July 29th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Aren't there vets in any nearby towns who you could go to? I live in a
pretty remote area, but there are about a gazillion vets within an hour's
drive. Some of them aren't accepting new clients, but the majority of
them are. For something like this, where it's an on-going problem that
your current vet seems incapable of dealing with, it seems to me like it
would be worth traveling a little bit. If nothing else, I'd take him to
the emergency vet.

Honestly, it sounds like these folks are kind of awful. Whether it's
because they're loosey-goosey with their diagnostics/care or whether it's
down to bad communication skills, it doesn't really matter. The bottom
line is that your dog's needs aren't getting met there.

I was finally able to set an appointment up for both dogs at the end of
August at the so called chinchilla-vet. The building is actually an animal
hospital and I was happy with them before so I hope it works out. When I
talked to them on the phone, I mentioned Cali's positive roundworm results,
how the vet wasn't testing her all along (since January's test) and that
they wanted another test in a month but the person on the phone said "don't
wait a month before testing her again and also bring a sample to us when you
come". Sounds good to me.

Old July 29th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:54:14 -0400, "MauiJNP" wrote:

I was finally able to set an appointment up for both dogs at the end of
August at the so called chinchilla-vet.

Yay!

I mentioned Cali's positive roundworm results,
how the vet wasn't testing her all along (since January's test) and that
they wanted another test in a month but the person on the phone said "don't
wait a month before testing her again and also bring a sample to us when you
come". Sounds good to me.

That sounds like a *huge* improvement. I hope the new vet is a good fit
for you, and that Cali and Maui will get excellent care there.

--
Shelly

Dreams are like water, colourless and dangerous.
-- This Mortal Coil, The Lacemaker
Old July 29th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

MauiJNP wrote:

I was finally able to set an appointment up for both dogs at the end of
August at the so called chinchilla-vet. The building is actually an animal
hospital and I was happy with them before so I hope it works out. When I
talked to them on the phone, I mentioned Cali's positive roundworm results,
how the vet wasn't testing her all along (since January's test) and that
they wanted another test in a month but the person on the phone said "don't
wait a month before testing her again and also bring a sample to us when you
come". Sounds good to me.

Good news, but I'm confused. Are you going to take in a sample now,
or wait and have a fecal analysis when you go for your appointment?

Amy Dahl

Old July 29th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

I was finally able to set an appointment up for both dogs at the end
of
August at the so called chinchilla-vet. The building is actually an
animal
hospital and I was happy with them before so I hope it works out. When I
talked to them on the phone, I mentioned Cali's positive roundworm
results,
how the vet wasn't testing her all along (since January's test) and that
they wanted another test in a month but the person on the phone said
"don't
wait a month before testing her again and also bring a sample to us when
you
come". Sounds good to me.

Good news, but I'm confused. Are you going to take in a sample now,
or wait and have a fecal analysis when you go for your appointment?

I am going to take a sample in about a week to the old vet just for the test
and maybe some more Drontal (depending on what the tests say). Then, I am
also taking a sample when I go to the new vet at the end of August. If I
need to get another test in the meantime (between next week and the end of
August), I will probably use the old vet because they are closer and its
just the test, no office visit, exam, or anything like that.