Indoor 'Lixit' ?

Old July 27th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jim Elbrecht

Default Indoor 'Lixit' ?

My Pug [just under 1 year] will drink from the assortment of dog bowls
'fountains' in the house, but he much prefers the Lixit that is
outside.
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...lyID_6141.aspx
same URL- tiny'ed - http://tinyurl.com/resfy

We live in the north, so aside from the fact that he has to be outside
to use his Lixit- in a couple months we have to turn that one off as
it will freeze.

So I'm pondering how I'm going to put one in the house. Plumbing it
isn't the problem-- I have access to the pipes and drain in the
bathroom where one of his bowls is anyway. I'm picturing
something like a miniature shower stall. If I'm real lucky I might
be able to find a miniature as a display or maybe even doll furniture?
Otherwise I'll do it with concrete & tile.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim
Old July 27th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Jim Elbrecht said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lixit makes a variety of water bottles which don't need
plumbing:
http://www.lixit.com/products/products.html

Old July 27th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jim Elbrecht

Rocky wrote:

Jim Elbrecht said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lixit makes a variety of water bottles which don't need
plumbing:
http://www.lixit.com/products/products.html

[thanks for that link-- I went to the Lixit site & tried to find the
valve under "Valves & Bottle Kits"- they had one for hamsters- but the
Dog one is under "Water Bottles"]

My [perhaps erroneous] assumption is that the dog's attraction to the
outside Lixit is that the water tastes better because it is always
fresh. Maybe I'm humanizing him- or maybe I'm rationalizing a way
out of making the daily circuit of water bowls to have him pass them
by and go thirsty until he's outside..

The bottles seem like they'd be the worst of both worlds- stale
tasting water in a hard to clean, messy server. Fine for a kennel,
maybe, but they look like they'd make a royal mess in the house.

Jim
Old July 27th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

The bottles seem like they'd be the worst of both worlds- stale
tasting water in a hard to clean, messy server. Fine for a kennel,
maybe, but they look like they'd make a royal mess in the house.

Moogli uses something like this
http://www.lixit.com/products/disp_prod.asp?id=340
in his crate at night and during the dy if we are at work.

It doesn't make that much of a mess at all and, as long as it is sealed
tight when you close it, no leaks. The water doesn't get that stale (I end
up changing it every other day because he drinks it all).

In fact, Moogli goes to his Lixit over his water bowl when he is thirsty.
Unless it is really, really hot, in which case he goes for the bowl.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old July 30th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

So I'm pondering how I'm going to put one in the house. Plumbing it
isn't the problem-- I have access to the pipes and drain in the
bathroom where one of his bowls is anyway. I'm picturing
something like a miniature shower stall. If I'm real lucky I might
be able to find a miniature as a display or maybe even doll furniture?
Otherwise I'll do it with concrete & tile.

Now that's a pampered pooch ; ). What about some kind of set up in the
laundry room? Most already have a hose type fitting in them, so not much
plumbing, and often have a drain too. You could stick a hose spliter at the
wall, and then run a short length of hose out to where you wanted it.
The specifics of your setup are really going to depend on what works best in
your house. I'd be reluctant to make anything too permanent right away
though, in case he decides that he doesn't really like it.

Dale