adopting a dog and want to change name

Old July 27th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kungo Bungo Ay

Default adopting a dog and want to change name

So i am adopting a dog and the dogs name is Bama, i dont like this name
and want to change it, is that a bad thing to do, to confuse the dog,
or will a ten month old female dog quickly adapt to the new name?

Old July 27th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Kungo Bungo Ay" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So i am adopting a dog and the dogs name is Bama, i dont
like this name and want to change it, is that a bad thing
to do, to confuse the dog, or will a ten month old female
dog quickly adapt to the new name?

My rescue dog came to me at 7 months old with the name of
"Jade" - not the best name for a male dog, IMO. I tried to
come up with rhyming names, but only "Blade" came to mind
(which I didn't like for this dog - no offense to Gwen).

So, I went for a completely different name: "Friday." After a
couple of weeks, I tried his old name and he didn't even
glance at me.

Some dogs may have negative associations with their old name
if their previous life was harsh, so changing the name is
often a good thing.

Old July 27th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison

"Kungo Bungo Ay" wrote in message
ups.com...
So i am adopting a dog and the dogs name is Bama, i dont like this name
and want to change it, is that a bad thing to do, to confuse the dog,
or will a ten month old female dog quickly adapt to the new name?

I changed my dog's name from Diddy to Dibby and it didn't cause problems
as they are so similar.
If you want to chose a name that is different you could just add it to
Bama e.g BamaLucky and then drop Bama after a few days.
Alison

Old July 27th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Kungo Bungo Ay wrote:
So i am adopting a dog and the dogs name is Bama, i dont like this name
and want to change it, is that a bad thing to do, to confuse the dog,
or will a ten month old female dog quickly adapt to the new name?

It's okay to change her name. Think of all the dogs in shelters and
rescues, whose original names are unknown. Those dogs have no
trouble adapting to a new name.

I got Harriet when she was 7mo. Her former name was Abbie. Abbie
is a fine name, but it did *not* fit her. She quickly learned her
new name, even though it was similar to my other dog's name
(Elliott). She also has quickly picked up on the various nicknames
I call her by (Little Missy, Squirrel, Biscuit, etc.).

Dogs are smart, and I'm sure your dog will adapt just as easily to
whatever you choose to call her.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old July 27th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Alison wrote:

I changed my dog's name from Diddy to Dibby and it didn't cause problems
as they are so similar.
If you want to chose a name that is different you could just add it to
Bama e.g BamaLucky and then drop Bama after a few days.

I would pay money to see (hear?) someone yelling "Come BamaLucky!"
across a park. That would *totally* make my day.

Seriously, though, I can't see any advantage to prolonging any
potential confusion by creating an interim Frank-n-Name.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old July 27th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kungo Bungo Ay

Thanks guys, i'll let you know how it goes

Old July 27th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:19:48 -0400, Shelly ,
clicked their heels and said:

Seriously, though, I can't see any advantage to prolonging any
potential confusion by creating an interim Frank-n-Name.

Me neither. Pretend the dog was found and has no known name. I've
yet to have a dog (or cat) not learn their new name within a day -
food is very powerful that way.

I've had a few no names and most recently, Rudy had been "Simba"
(ICK!) for 5 months. He learned Rudy in a snap.

I just called him as he was looking out the front door. "Simba" got a
turn and come to me. He went back to the door. "Fido" got the same
response. Let's face it, some dogs think you're always talking to
THEM! ;-D

--
Janet Boss
Old July 28th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison

--
"Janet B" wrote in message
I've had a few no names and most recently, Rudy had been "Simba"

(ICK!) for 5 months. He learned Rudy in a snap.

Simba is a very nice name ... for a lion. I can't say that Rudy is much
better, makes me think of Christmas and red nosed reindeer.

Janet Boss

Old July 28th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:38:46 +0100, "Alison"
, clicked their heels and said:

Simba is a very nice name ... for a lion. I can't say that Rudy is much
better, makes me think of Christmas and red nosed reindeer.

He wouldn't have been Rudy if I had intended on keeping him ;-D He
WAS named Rudy because he arrived just before Christmas, so my name
connection works apparently!

--
Janet Boss
Old July 28th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Janet B wrote in
:

Let's face it, some dogs think you're always talking to
THEM!

I believe I must use a different tone of voice for each of my dogs, because
they always know who I'm talking to, whether I use a name or a nickname.
And if I let out a general alert "hey, where are the doggies?" everyone
comes running. Of the three, though, Queenie's the one most likely to
respond to any call -- after all, food COULD be involved!

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow