Dog attack

Old July 27th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SoSo

Default Dog attack

Sorry if this is the second time you read this message: I posted under
the wrong category before.

************************************************** *********************8
My neighbors (they live of the first floor, I live on the third floor
of a 3 floors building) own a 1 year old white and beige Australian
Sheppard. The dog knows me pretty well; he has seen me once or twice a

week since he has moved into the building. I was at my neighbor's
house this morning when the dog just jumped on me in a very aggressive
manner without any obvious reason. He grabbed my arm in his mouth but

he did not bite. I really don't see anything I did to provoke him (I
had my keys in my hands, I may have been doing some noise). The dog
just made a very sad growning then, 30 seconds after, he jumped on me.
I was shaken for 15 minutes after the attack (many of you might not
consider this an attack but I got scarred). This is the first time in
my life that I have a bit of a bad experience with a dog (I am a 36
years old women by the way).

I have nieces and nephews visiting me fairly often and I am wondering
if I should not let them play around that dog. Could he really be
dangerous? What could explain that behavior?

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

So

Old July 27th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 27 Jul 2006 11:58:34 -0700, "SoSo" wrote:

[...]

Some questions first, okay?

1. How do you know it's an Australian Shepherd?

2. Have you talked to the owners of the dog about this? If so, what
did they say? If not, why not?

3. Is the neighbor you were visiting the same neighbor who owns the
dog?

Thanks!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Chomsky's New Blood Libel:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=23543

The Left's broken moral compass:
http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2006/07...ight-line.html

"Suppose this were true - that terrorists blew up Oz honeymooners and
Scandinavian stoners in Balinese nightclubs because of "the Palestinian question."
Doesn’t this suggest that these people are, at a certain level, nuts?"

"There haven’t been any Zionists anywhere near Damascus in 60 years and Syria is in
effect Iran’s first Sunni Arab prison bitch."

"So what is in reality Israel's first non-Arab war is a glimpse of the world the day
after tomorrow: The EU and Arab League won't quite spell it out, but, to modify that
Le Monde headline, they are all Jews now."
http://makeashorterlink.com/?B3A65237D

I stand with Israel.
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/005547.htm

Two books that every American (and Canadian) *must* read:

1) The Rage and The Pride, by Orianna Fallaci
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J13521A6D

2) The Force of Reason, by Orianna Fallaci
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T42552A6D

While they still can.
Old July 27th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

"SoSo" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My two cents, the dog's action was triggered by the sound of the keys. The
owner picks up their keys when they get ready to take the dog for a walk.

You did that, and the dog grabbed your arm, saying, "C'mon! Let's go!" And
trying to herd you.

Naturally, I could be totally wrong, but picturing it in my mind's eye
that's what I see. It doesn't have an aggressive "feel" to it, and the
groaning kinda noise sounds like a sigh or an anticipatory sound, not a
growl.

flick 100785

Old July 27th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SoSo

1) I was told by the owner the dog was an Australian Shepherd
2) The lady owner was in the house when it happened. I was in their
house, her in the kitchen, me in the living room. The owners are
friends of mine; the man who lives in the house and is the master of
the dog was not in the house when it happened. When my friend heard
the noise, she came to the living room and put the dog down. She first
acted like she was going to put him in his cage then she decided to pet
him, thinking he was upset (but he had no reason to be upset!!!). Then
she left him. She just did not understand what happened. Just like
me, she heard the sad noise he made before jumping. If I was the owner,
the dog would have gotten punished for the day.
3) Yes, the people I was visiting are the owners of the dog.

Thank you!

So

Old July 27th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SoSo

The dog was definitely very agressive. He was not playing at all. I
had been walking around for 5 minutes wtih my keys in my hands though.
He could have been annoyed that I was not taking him out, I am not too
sure about that. I never took him anywhere.

flick wrote:
ups.com...

Old July 27th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

SoSo wrote:

The dog was definitely very agressive. He was not playing at all. I
had been walking around for 5 minutes wtih my keys in my hands though.
He could have been annoyed that I was not taking him out, I am not too
sure about that. I never took him anywhere.

Briefly, I think the answer to the question about your nieces and
nephews is: keep them strictly away from this dog. It has demonstrated
unexplained behavior which you think is aggression. You don't know
what its triggers are, or how far it would go (how much damage it would
inflict). Be conservative, be safe!

I wouldn't stake your young relatives' safety on anyone's glib explanation
of the behavior, whether the owner offered one or whether it was
offered over the Internet.

Amy Dahl

Old July 27th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SoSo

I think you are right. My friends might think I am crazy but better be
safe then sorry.

This is just a shame because my friends have kids the same age as my
nephews.

Old July 27th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 27 Jul 2006 12:49:52 -0700, "SoSo" wrote:

1) I was told by the owner the dog was an Australian Shepherd
2) The lady owner was in the house when it happened. I was in their
house, her in the kitchen, me in the living room. The owners are
friends of mine; the man who lives in the house and is the master of
the dog was not in the house when it happened. When my friend heard
the noise, she came to the living room and put the dog down. She first
acted like she was going to put him in his cage then she decided to pet
him, thinking he was upset (but he had no reason to be upset!!!).

Well, your neighbor[s] may actually be part of the problem. That was
no time to "pet" the dog.

sigh

Then she left him. She just did not understand what happened.

Did you explain to her what happened?

What did she say about it?

What's not to understand?

Just like
me, she heard the sad noise he made before jumping. If I was the owner,
the dog would have gotten punished for the day.

For the whole day?

3) Yes, the people I was visiting are the owners of the dog.

'kay. Here's what I think. I think Flick is probably right. This
was probably not real danger, you may have somehow triggered (with
your keys, getting up and moving around, etc.) the Aussie's herding
instincts, etc. He grabbed your arm, but didn't bite, and that's
essentially a good sign...but (and that's a big but!), I'd opt for
being safe rather than sorry when it comes to your nieces and nephews.

That is, don't take them over to your neighbor's apartment when the
dog is there.

And, IMO, you should also sit down with your neighbors, explain to
them what happened (this is known in some circles as a "Come to Jesus
meeting!), and then encourage your neighbor, and her husband, to get
this dog (and themselves!) enrolled in a good OBEDIENCE TRAINING
class, and to do it ASAP.

Aussies are very EZ to train, and they always do much better when they
have some kind of job to do -- e.g. obedience training, some kind of
*daily* exercise, and perhaps even get to regularly train and
participate in some kind of dog sport, like agility.

So do what you can can to aim them in that direction, 'kay?

Again, I don't think there's any real danger to you here, but you
should always play it safe rather than sorry when it comes to your
nieces and nephews.

Anyway, good luck!

[...]

[...]

Old July 27th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SoSo

Thank you so much for your answers! I will definitely keep the kids in
my life away from this dog now. And me, I am going to watch my keys!
I'll have another talk with the owners about this whenever I have a
chance.

Thanks again,

So

Old July 27th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 27 Jul 2006 13:09:24 -0700, "SoSo" wrote:

[]
This is just a shame because my friends have kids the same age as my
nephews.

All the more reason to have that "Come to Jesus" meeting with them
ASAP!

Dog attack SoSo Dog breeds 0 July 27th 06 07:50 PM
Fatal Dog Attack in San Francisco [email protected] Dog behavior 38 June 7th 05 04:48 PM
Boy recovering from dog attack pobox*[email protected] Dog behavior 24 October 29th 04 01:37 AM
Boy recovering from dog attack pobox*[email protected] Dog behavior 0 October 27th 04 10:59 PM