Grooming questions...

Old July 29th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MattW

Default Grooming questions...

First Post here, and first dog owner (family dogs before, but never one
that I would call mine and my wife is the same way).

My wife and I just adopted a mix-breed (best guess is Dane x Pit Bull
or Boxer) from a rescue. He is a great dog and fits in well with the
family thus far, but we have only had him for a few days. Today we
tried to brush him and it went...well...not so great. At the first
touch of the brush he flipped out. Straining at the leash (this is,
literally, the first time he has strained hard) and choking himself in
the process. I calmed him down and tried again, same result. After a
few tries, and a bloody hand, I gave up. I calmed him down, and put
him in his crate as I tended my wounds. After that, I took him back
out to try again. I tried again, but at the first touch he went wild
again. I calmed him down and tried petting him. When I petted him
using my nails (which, I have absolutely no nails) he freaked out
again. My assumption is that he hates anything sharp, or slightly
sharp, on his skin.

Any recommendations on how to help this problem?

Matt

Old July 29th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 28 Jul 2006 18:00:08 -0700, "MattW"
wrote:

[...]

Yes.

SLOOOOOW DOOOOWN!

Give him a few weeks, maybe more, in which to settle in.

Don't push things right now. Let the dog come to you, so to speak.

Let him set the pace, 'kay?

How much could he need to be brushed at this point?

Don't push "petting" on him right now. Again, let him solicit it.

Put yourself in the dogs shoes. Say, you've never been brushed
before. Ever. You're in a new and strange place, along with a couple
of complete strangers. And now this big dude has this scary object in
his hand and is starting to rub it all over your body.

How would you react?

Some questions:

1. Did he bite you and actually draw blood?

2. The place where you got him? Was it a rescue or shelter?

3. If so, did they tell you anything about his history? Or if he had
any special quirks?

4. Have you taken him for any walks yet? How did they go?

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Sicko leftist "artist" c*%t abuses children for profit and political gain:
http://thinkingpictures.blogspot.com...end-times.html

"Disproportionate" in What Moral Universe?

Hizballah Attacked UNIFIL Twice This Week:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...is_ Week&only

Hezbollah was using UN post as 'shield':
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...9-7f94d5fc6d50

Obsession: Radical Islam’s War with the West (a must-see movie, especially for Shelly, who's probably still
trying to figure out who "these people" are. Heck, she's still trying to figure out who the Nazis were):
http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/

I stand with Israel.
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/005547.htm

Two books that every American (and Canadian) *must* read:

1) The Rage and The Pride, by Orianna Fallaci
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J13521A6D

2) The Force of Reason, by Orianna Fallaci
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T42552A6D

While they still can.
Old July 29th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

MattW wrote:

[...]

From the probable breeds you mention, I'm guessing this dog has
a very short, smooth coat? Are you brushing him with a brush
designed for this kind of coat? It sounds to me as though the
sensation is unpleasant for him, if not downright painful. Danes
and some other smooth-coated breeds are said to have very tender
skin.

Is the rescue you got him from a breed-specific rescue? Maybe
they can advise you on appropriate grooming tools.

In the meantime, when your dog so obviously dislikes something,
I suggest you refrain from forcing it on him. How important can
it be to brush him? It doesn't sound as though he's predisposed
to mats, or has a great thick undercoat.

Amy Dahl

Old July 29th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MattW

The reason we are grooming him is because he had a few little mats in
his hair. I got them out, however, without the brush.

We were using a slicker brush, but now that we have the mats out, I am
not going to try for awhile. He did break the skin, but just barely.
Not a puncture wound, it just scraped off the top layer of skin. There
was blood, but not alot.

We got him from a humane society, and he was found in one of the parks
nearby. He lived outside up until the point the humane society got
him. Considering he has had very little human interaction before, we
are amazed at how well he is doing.

He walks well on a leash (in preparation for getting him we watched
some dog whisper and at least scanned almost every training book we
could find and are using a combined method borrowing alot from the
Monks of New Skete) staying next to us and rarely trying to get ahead.
With a quick pop of the leash and 'No' he is back next to us. He has
learned pretty well how to sit (not 100%, but 60%) and is even doing
'down' pretty well. He stops at the door and waits for us to go out,
and is proving very trainable considering how long we have had him.
His only real problem is he loves to lick every part of your body and
he likes to pick up things in his mouth, carry them around, and drop
them off somewhere else. I had a nice "Where the heck is my shoe?"
incident this morning.

We could, however, be doing everything wrong.

We are trying to find fun ways to play with him while on a leash and do
things beyond walk with him. At this moment he has a toy in his mouth
and is swinging it around like a ragdoll.

I never know what he is about to do.
mw

Old July 29th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 28 Jul 2006 18:51:58 -0700, "MattW"
wrote:

[]
We were using a slicker brush, but now that we have the mats out, I am
not going to try for awhile.

If I understood the dog's heritage correctly, you should probably
ditch the slicker and get a soft bristle brush.

Like one of these:
http://www.dog-training.com/dogbrush...stle%20Br ush

He did break the skin, but just barely.
Not a puncture wound, it just scraped off the top layer of skin. There
was blood, but not alot.

Then he bit you?

We got him from a humane society, and he was found in one of the parks
nearby. He lived outside up until the point the humane society got
him. Considering he has had very little human interaction before, we
are amazed at how well he is doing.

Yeah, me, too. And now if you would just stop pushing him so fast (a
mistake that almost everyone makes), he'll likely do even better.

He walks well on a leash (in preparation for getting him we watched
some dog whisper and at least scanned almost every training book we
could find and are using a combined method borrowing alot from the
Monks of New Skete) staying next to us and rarely trying to get ahead.
With a quick pop of the leash and 'No' he is back next to us. He has
learned pretty well how to sit (not 100%, but 60%) and is even doing
'down' pretty well. He stops at the door and waits for us to go out,
and is proving very trainable considering how long we have had him.

In my opinion, you'd be better off, and so would your dog, if you
would enroll yourself and your dog in a good OBEDIENCE TRAINING class,
and do it ASAP.

Your vet might be able to help find one for you.

His only real problem is he loves to lick every part of your body and
he likes to pick up things in his mouth, carry them around, and drop
them off somewhere else. I had a nice "Where the heck is my shoe?"
incident this morning.

Those are good signs.

But if you don't want him playing with something, don't leave it
laying around. Give him toys to play with, and then just don't allow
him to play with anything else.

We could, however, be doing everything wrong.

That's why I think an OBEDIENCE TRAINING class is a good idea.

You'll get some feedback from the instructor, and from other students.

Not to mention that you'll get to see how your dog responds to other
dogs, too, but in a controlled environment.

We are trying to find fun ways to play with him while on a leash and do
things beyond walk with him. At this moment he has a toy in his mouth
and is swinging it around like a ragdoll.

Again, I hope you don't try to do too much too early.

Give him some time to get his legs, to begin to trust you, etc.

What's the hurry?

I never know what he is about to do.

Eventually you will, if you give him some time, and pay really close
attention to him.

Anyway, good luck

And thanks for rescuing him!

Old July 29th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"MattW" wrote in message:

We were using a slicker brush, but now that we have the mats out, I am
not going to try for awhile.

My Dane goes to sleep while I brush her. I suspect however that she
wouldn't be nearly as happy if I used a slicker. Curry Combs
(http://www.doversaddlery.com/categor...Curry+Combs_E_) or
Zoom Groom would be more appropriate.

Suja

Old July 29th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
TaraG

"Suja" wrote in message

"MattW" wrote in message:

We were using a slicker brush, but now that we have the mats out, I am
not going to try for awhile.

My Dane goes to sleep while I brush her. I suspect however that she
wouldn't be nearly as happy if I used a slicker. Curry Combs
(http://www.doversaddlery.com/categor...Curry+Combs_E_) or
Zoom Groom would be more appropriate.

My question is: How can this dog have Dane type fur *and* mats?

Tara

Old July 29th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Toni

"TaraG" wrote in message
news9Ayg.1204$sy2.293@trndny01...

My question is: How can this dog have Dane type fur *and* mats?

Really.

If the dog had mats, then (best guess is Dane x Pit Bull or Boxer) isn't
such a good guess at all g

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old July 29th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MattW

Maybe I should describe them as something different.

Places where 4-5 of his hairs were tangled/notted together in a knot
the size of a pinhead. He only had a few on his body, and his coat is
Dane length. They came out with a little prompting from our hands.
Maybe 'knits' or 'gnats' would have been a better word?? Not sure how
to describe it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming.

..mw

Old July 29th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.animals.dog,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bigjoe

"angel" a écrit dans le message de news:
repairing my google groups view
your name squishes the page layout beyond use
cut

Do you really find it useful
to quote all the bullsh*t of this mor*n ??