Dogsitting

Old July 30th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Dogsitting

I've been doing a *lot* of dogsitting lately. And, I've learned
something today, Kyle...

No matter how bad my own dog is, I really do prefer her smart-assed
company to that of other people's dogs. Not that I don't like other
dogs (I do!), and it's not that I don't like the dogs I'm sitting for,
but boy, I would **not** want to live with them.

Teh Enb.

--
Shelly

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't
cope with is therefore your own problem.
-- Douglas Adams
Old July 31st 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

No matter how bad my own dog is, I really do prefer her
smart-assed company to that of other people's dogs. Not
that I don't like other dogs (I do!), and it's not that I
don't like the dogs I'm sitting for, but boy, I would
**not** want to live with them.

It's kind of interesting how quickly other's dogs' habits grow
on me. They're like nieces and nephews - they go home at some
discernible time.

Some of "my" dogs (the stranger ones, TTYTT), I'd like to keep
if the owners had to give them up. Luckily, I'm too level-
headed for that to happen.

Old July 31st 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 31 Jul 2006 03:54:13 GMT, Rocky wrote:

they go home at some discernible time.

You bring up an interesting point.

I think it makes a difference whether or not the dogs are in your own
home. I've had canine house guests that I've really enjoyed, and
might've been sorely tempted to keep if that had been an option.

I suspect, too, that these particular dogs would behave very differently
in my house than they do in their own. When I've had house guests,
they've very quickly caught on to what was acceptable and what wasn't.
At their home, though, they're in their own behavioral groove, and it's
not IMO a very nice one. They're both very sweet dogs, but they're not
always likeable, and there are times that I'm reminded of how much I
enjoy the company of my own dog.

Some of "my" dogs (the stranger ones, TTYTT), I'd like to keep
if the owners had to give them up. Luckily, I'm too level-
headed for that to happen.

It *is* always the weirdos, isn't it?

--
Shelly

What I tell you three times is true.
-- Lewis Carroll
Old July 31st 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

I think it makes a difference whether or not the dogs are in your own
home. I've had canine house guests that I've really enjoyed, and
might've been sorely tempted to keep if that had been an option.

Aah, so that's the explanation. I was wondering how Ms. Brown took to
having house guests.

When we went to New Hampshire (which is fabulous, BTW), Pan stayed with a
dog sitter. She was also tasked with walking someone else's dogs while they
went on vacation. For 15 days. I know these people, and can't imagine how
they could think that it is okay for a dog to have human contact for
something like 2 hours a day. Luckily for the dogs, Ms. Dog Walker happens
to be the compassionate sort, and would bring these dogs home with her as
well. Even then, their Collie was hugely depressed; it was like she was a
different dog altogether.

Suja

Old July 31st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On 31 Jul 2006 03:54:13 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Some of "my" dogs (the stranger ones, TTYTT), I'd like to keep
if the owners had to give them up. Luckily, I'm too level-
headed for that to happen.

I would advise you to make up neglect stories and steal them, but
since too many people would notice them at your house, that won't
work. Sorry! Depending on the day, I might send you one of my
stranger ones. I'd probably want it back after a couple days, though.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old July 31st 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:04:25 -0400, "Suja"
wrote:

"Shelly" wrote in message:

I think it makes a difference whether or not the dogs are in your own
home. I've had canine house guests that I've really enjoyed, and
might've been sorely tempted to keep if that had been an option.

Aah, so that's the explanation. I was wondering how Ms. Brown took to
having house guests.

When we went to New Hampshire (which is fabulous, BTW), Pan stayed with a
dog sitter. She was also tasked with walking someone else's dogs while they
went on vacation. For 15 days. I know these people, and can't imagine how
they could think that it is okay for a dog to have human contact for
something like 2 hours a day. Luckily for the dogs, Ms. Dog Walker happens
to be the compassionate sort, and would bring these dogs home with her as
well. Even then, their Collie was hugely depressed; it was like she was a
different dog altogether.

One of the parents at the dance studio my daughters dance at decided
recently she needed to be more flexible in her work schedule. She
used to be a vet tech. So her new business is dog sitting. She has
varying plans from feed the dog and pick up the mail to more visits
per day to spending the night in your home and letting the dogs either
sleep in the bed with her if that is what they normally do with their
owners. The last time I talked to her, she was telling me that she is
having some problems because although people often pay for the minimum
plan, she ends up giving them more deluxe plan treatment because she
can't stand to just check in on a dog and then leave it when it is
lonely and confused about where everyone went. So instead of just
feeding, watering and pottying, she ends up not only making more
visits, but staying to play or read a book while the dog snuggles up
or whatever. She has had to recruit her teenagers to help her almost
full time this summer because she has a lot of people going on
vacation and still can't severely limit the dog interaction time.
Guess who is taking care of our dogs when we go on vacation in August?
Being the person I am, I'll pay for the deluxe plan even though I know
I could get the upgrade for free.

Old August 1st 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mirelle

Shelly wrote:
I've been doing a *lot* of dogsitting lately. And, I've learned
something today, Kyle...

No matter how bad my own dog is, I really do prefer her smart-assed
company to that of other people's dogs. Not that I don't like other
dogs (I do!), and it's not that I don't like the dogs I'm sitting for,
but boy, I would **not** want to live with them.

That us the opposite of me. Every dog I meet I fall in love with and
would love to have them live with me. I adore dogs !

Mirelle

snip
Teh Enb.

Old August 1st 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Suja wrote:

Aah, so that's the explanation. I was wondering how Ms. Brown took to
having house guests.

It depends entirely on the guest. If it's a male or a young female,
and doesn't get uppity, *and* is all about the playplayplay, then
they are Allowed. Snarky girls, which would be the female half of
the dog-sitted duo, must diediedie. Life would be so much easier if
Miss Chowy Bitch weren't such a, well, bitch.

When we went to New Hampshire (which is fabulous, BTW), Pan stayed with a
dog sitter. She was also tasked with walking someone else's dogs while they
went on vacation. For 15 days. I know these people, and can't imagine how
they could think that it is okay for a dog to have human contact for
something like 2 hours a day.

Yeah, well, I'm kind of dealing with a similar situation. I'm
trying to split my time so that my dog doesn't get screwed (she
*does* come first), but that the dogs I'm watching also get some
quality time. As far as the owner is concerned, sticking food in
their bowls 2x/day is sufficient, but I disagree.

This situation isn't going to improve much in the future,
unfortunately. The owner is in the process of rehabbing a house in
Cincinnati, so she's spending all her spare time there. I don't
mind dogsitting, but I *do* feel like her dogs are getting shafted,
and I can only take up so much of the slack without screwing over my
own dog, which I refuse to do.

Luckily for the dogs, Ms. Dog Walker happens
to be the compassionate sort, and would bring these dogs home with her as
well. Even then, their Collie was hugely depressed; it was like she was a
different dog altogether.

Poor girl. It would be bad enough if they understood that it was
just a temporary arrangement, but dogs live in the moment, so when
"the moment" sucks, their whole world sucks.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old August 1st 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Mirelle wrote:

That us the opposite of me. Every dog I meet I fall in love with and
would love to have them live with me. I adore dogs !

I adore dogs, too, and am quite fond of the dogs I'm caring for. I
don't want to *live* with them, though. I would guess that I
*could* live with just about any dog, but that most dogs are not
really suited to my personality and lifestyle. I think being aware
of one's needs and limitations with regard to pets is a Very Good Thing.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old August 1st 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

Snarky girls, which would be the female half of
the dog-sitted duo, must diediedie.

No Pan sitting for you, then. She gives new meaning to the word 'Bitch'. I
wonder if Harriet would be okay with Khan - while a dork, he considers
himself quite the king of the hill, and *clearly*, any dog that wants to
playplayplay in this weather must be out of her little mind.

Yeah, well, I'm kind of dealing with a similar situation. I'm
trying to split my time so that my dog doesn't get screwed (she
*does* come first), but that the dogs I'm watching also get some
quality time.

It's too bad they can't just stay with you. That's probably the best way to
work around this sucky situation.

The owner is in the process of rehabbing a house in
Cincinnati, so she's spending all her spare time there.

Why can't the dogs go with her? As long as the conditions are safe, I know
that's what I'd be doing.

Poor girl. It would be bad enough if they understood that it was
just a temporary arrangement, but dogs live in the moment, so when
"the moment" sucks, their whole world sucks.

Yeah, there are times when I wished we could communicate with dogs better,
and this is one of those times. Although the dogs are generally in good
hands when we leave, it still stresses them out no end. I'm not sure what
we'll do the next time we go to India - most of the pet sitting options are
too expensive (not to mention, it is hard to find someone trustworthy to
stay at your house), and even the nicest of boarding kennels aren't all that
nice when the dogs have to live there for a month.

Suja