My dog breaks out of his cage at night

Old August 5th 06, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default My dog breaks out of his cage at night

Thank you for all the response. To clear a couple of things up. The
dogs are only caged up at night time. And even though we never attend
dog training classes because we now live in a foreign country and the
language barrier is too difficult. We do spend loads of time with the
dogs and daily walk them. They also have a reasonable garden area where
they can run about in and play. Playtoys is also not a problem seeing
they are everywhere. Dior likes playing with balls and tugging ropes
which we play with him plenty during the day and evening time. Donna
likes her chewing ropes and has plenty of them as well. We live in the
beautifull mountain country of Verbier Switzerland now. And they have
been trained to run lose in the mountains as long as they are not near
roads. When in the country side they never venture too far (no further
than 5 meters) And all I have to do for them to come back to me is
whistle. And they come running back wagging their tails.
Donna will however chase other dogs (again she will not chase them
endlessly) But she looks very aggressive dispite her size. I am very
affraid that one day she will get bitten badly by other dogs if she
keeps this up. We have been working on this problem as well by taking
her for walks on a leash where I know we will encounter other dogs. As
soon as I see another dog I stop her and get close to her level and
praise her for not barking before she really sees the dog. This is
improving the situation, but as soon as she sees the dog it doesn't
take long before she does the inevitable. I think she does this because
she is affraid. She does also bark outside in our garden a lot, and the
way we punish her is by making her get back in the house and then
ignoring her. She does also get praised if she doesn't bark in the
garden if their is a passer by.
Last night we tried something new with her. She used to sleep
downstairs in her little cage. Last night we put her cage with us in
the bedroom right next to my side of the bed. At 3 am she woke us up,
but had not peed in her cage. I got up with her instantly and let her
out on the balcony. Ten minutes later she returned back to the room and
wanted to play. However since that is not play time I had to guide her
back in her cage and turned the lights back off. She protested a little
but ended going back to sleep. During the night she protested a couple
more times. This time rather than letting her out again I just put my
hand close to her cage and talked to her to calm her down. This seemed
to work fairly well and she managed to actually not insist on getting
out untill 8:30 this morning. I think I will keep on working on this
for a while seeing it seems to be working.
As far as their eating and drinking habits, they get fed right after we
eat at night (around7:30) and we take their water way from them at 9pm.
We go to bed around midnight. So I think that is not too late.
She is still very hyper when awake. They do sleep a lot but that is the
nature of its race.
If there is any other advice please let me know. I have really
appreciated all your time and imput.

Thank you
Sincerely
Bart Gambart