Thinking of getting a burmese mountain dog

Old August 5th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default Thinking of getting a burmese mountain dog

I want a quiet non barking dog if we let him out in our fenced yard.
There are other dogs up the street that bark day and night. It upsets
most of the neighbors. We have our heart set on one and wanted to know
will he bark constantly? thanks for any info.

Old August 5th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Toni

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want a quiet non barking dog if we let him out in our fenced yard.
There are other dogs up the street that bark day and night. It upsets
most of the neighbors. We have our heart set on one and wanted to know
will he bark constantly? thanks for any info.

If you turn him out in the yard and leave him there alone with nothing to do
you bet he will bark.
No dog is completely silent when lonely and bored to death.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old August 5th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Margaret

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want a quiet non barking dog if we let him out in our fenced yard.
There are other dogs up the street that bark day and night. It upsets
most of the neighbors. We have our heart set on one and wanted to know
will he bark constantly? thanks for any info.

Dogs bark for a variety of reasons. Any dog that barks "constantly" is
expressing a problem of some kind.
What has prompted you to consider a Bernese Mountain Dog as a pet?
When people are considering a breed they don't know anything about, I always
recommend they go to some dog shows (conformation or obedience) and talk to
people who actually own the breed and can tell you what it's like to live
with that breed, etc.
If your goal is to have a dog as a companion, you may find that adopting a
dog from breed rescue or a shelter is a very rewarding thing to do.

Margaret

Old August 5th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lucky Whip Flip

wrote:

I want a quiet non barking dog if we let him out in our fenced yard.
There are other dogs up the street that bark day and night. It upsets
most of the neighbors. We have our heart set on one and wanted to know
will he bark constantly? thanks for any info.

Bernese, while considered a quiet dog, most certainly can and do bark.
They will alert you to strangers - that is part of their heritage, to
bark an alarm when something is amiss. If you leave him outside all day
and night - he most certainly will bark. Bernese like to be with their
people, not confined outside - they will become noisy and destructive if
they are kept outside away from their family. Their favourite place is
to be near their people, often resting on their feet - they like
physical contact. WE have saying - were can you find a berner...."on
your foot".

Mine follow me everywhere - from room to room.

For good advice on finding a well bred berner go to
www.bmdca.org

To research pedigrees check out www.bernergarde.org

Join the yahoo group berner-l for discussion with other berner owners.
To join send a blank email to:

Please choose your breeder wisely - berners are not without their health
problems and you want a breeder who does health tests on her dogs PRIOR
to breeding and can give you detailed health history of the ancestors.
Don't be a rush to purchase one - do your homework.

Flip

Old August 6th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
chris jung

"Margaret" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want a quiet non barking dog if we let him out in our fenced yard.
There are other dogs up the street that bark day and night. It upsets
most of the neighbors. We have our heart set on one and wanted to know
will he bark constantly? thanks for any info.

Dogs bark for a variety of reasons. Any dog that barks "constantly" is
expressing a problem of some kind.

Collies have a tendency to be vocal. I've had 5 collies so far and 4 of
them were easy to train to be quiet. Lucy, however, loves to bark. She's
finally at the point that if she's outside and starts barking at something,
I can step out the door and ask her to hush and she will stop barking
(instead she'll run to me and sing me an argument why she should bark at
that thing). This is a huge improvement and it's taken us two years to get
to this point. Lucy does bark to express unhappiness but she also barks when
she's happy, when she's feeling boastful, when she's in a playful mood or
when she has an opinion. Lucy has a lot of opinions. If left her in the
backyard for a day without any supervision, I'm pretty sure she would spend
much of the time barking her fool head off. No way would that ever happen.
If Lucy's outside, I'm here on the property to supervise and keep her
barking ways under control.

Chris and her smoothies,
Pablo and Lucy (woof!)

Old August 6th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

chris jung wrote:
"Margaret" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks all. We're going with another Min Pin.

Old August 6th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Toni

wrote in message
Thanks all. We're going with another Min Pin.

Good grief, that's a 180º turn- are you certain you know exactly what
qualities you want in a dog?