New activity, new photos

Old August 17th 03, 07:16 PM
Stafford A. Rau

Default New activity, new photos

http://www.rauhaus.org/~srau/herding.html

Hot of the camera, shot just this morning.

Sorry about the crappy photos, but you get the picture. ;-) I really
need a better camera, but my 12 year old kid did fine job with the
tool available.

Shelley & Bodhi - Stephanie, our instructor, says that Sadie
definitely does it like a Belgian, and not at all like a BC.
--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old August 17th 03, 07:48 PM
Rocky

Stafford A. Rau said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Stephanie, our instructor, says that Sadie
definitely does it like a Belgian, and not at all like a BC.

Yup, especially in this pictu
http://www.rauhaus.org/~srau/herding/sar-sadie2.jpg

BTW, Stafford, those sheep seem to really like you - they hung
in pretty tight.

It looks like y'all had a lot of fun, I'm going to have to give
it another go with Friday.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old August 17th 03, 08:10 PM
Stafford A. Rau

Rocky writes:

Stafford A. Rau said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Stephanie, our instructor, says that Sadie
definitely does it like a Belgian, and not at all like a BC.

Yup, especially in this pictu
http://www.rauhaus.org/~srau/herding/sar-sadie2.jpg

She was totally upright the whole time, not a crouch in her. Pretty
much no balance either, she wanted to be right up their butts the
whole time. This was her (and my) very first time though, so what can
you expect, right?

She definitely had lots of instinct, though. Whenever one of them
tried to peel off Sadie was in furious pursuit. No gripping,
thankfully.

BTW, Stafford, those sheep seem to really like you - they hung

in pretty tight.

You can say that again - I could hardly move with them all mushed up
against my legs.

It looks like y'all had a lot of fun, I'm going to have to give
it another go with Friday.

It was a blast! I think we're going to make this a regular kinda
thing. Then I need to make tons of money so I can buy that hobby farm,
and convince my wife that we really need to move out of the city. ;-)

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old August 17th 03, 08:31 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Stafford A. Rau" wrote in message

http://www.rauhaus.org/~srau/herding.html

Hot of the camera, shot just this morning.

Sorry about the crappy photos, but you get the picture. ;-) I really
need a better camera, but my 12 year old kid did fine job with the
tool available.

Shelley & Bodhi - Stephanie, our instructor, says that Sadie
definitely does it like a Belgian, and not at all like a BC.

Oh oh oh!! I haven't even looked yet (but will), but you
say Stephanie & I will say Yay! You took her Herding!!!

Shelly (Who's going to look at the photos) & The Boys

Old August 17th 03, 08:48 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Stafford A. Rau" wrote in message
She was totally upright the whole time, not a crouch in her. Pretty
much no balance either, she wanted to be right up their butts the
whole time. This was her (and my) very first time though, so what can
you expect, right?

Bodhi *still* wants to be up their butts a lot of the time, but is
getting better at listening when I say "Get Out!". :-)
Bodhi started out w/ little balance as well, although you could
see that he would always come to balance before doing
a wait or stop (which is natural, it's where he felt comfortable
they wouldn't flee).
So, tell me, does she circle endlessly? grin
In the photo the Matt picked, she really looks like
a photo I've got of Bodhi. You can see her head sillhouette
in it though & it's not overly Belgian-y w/ it's pronounced
stop, but she looks great! *AND* like she's having a great
time!

She definitely had lots of instinct, though. Whenever one of them
tried to peel off Sadie was in furious pursuit. No gripping,
thankfully.

Cool...did she do an instinct test, or did you just go out for a lesson?
I'm sometimes *amazed* at how fast Bodhi can change direction
and head off to pick up a stray. He doesn't grip often, once
in a while he'll pinch in there for a shot when he's getting tired
and frustrated because I won't let him work right up their butts.
But he'll go for a wither shot almost always.

BTW, Stafford, those sheep seem to really like you - they hung

in pretty tight.

You can say that again - I could hardly move with them all mushed up
against my legs.

That's how the sheep where I was going were like. It takes a bit
to get used to walking with sheep velcro'd to you. The ones
where I've been going are a tad bit lighter (meaning, not so velcro-y),
but they'll still trip you up if you're not careful. (Says one speaking
from personal experience & the hoof bruises on the backs of my
legs to prove it!)

It looks like y'all had a lot of fun, I'm going to have to give
it another go with Friday.

It was a blast! I think we're going to make this a regular kinda
thing. Then I need to make tons of money so I can buy that hobby farm,
and convince my wife that we really need to move out of the city. ;-)

No no, just a half of a ton of money, and I need to make the other
half so we can have a co-op somewhere around north Wilsonville
or so...laugh I'm so glad you had fun! I just wish we could've
been there to see! You're going in Vancouver, right? I've not
been there, but want to head up for a lesson on helping with
our walk-up soon. You'll have to email with w/ the details.
Very cool stuff, Stafford! :-)
1) I hope to see you come watch the trial in Sandy (Maybe volunteer
for helping if you're bored...grin)
2) Maybe come for the instinct test & stuff down in Corvallis
for Woofstock (fun stuff for dogs).
Shelly & The Boys

need photos Lorri Dog activities 1 November 25th 03 12:40 AM
New Photos... Andrea Dog breeds 14 August 3rd 03 04:03 AM