Dachshund....Shes a chewing fool!!

Old August 17th 03, 08:33 PM
Tara O.

Default Dachshund....Shes a chewing fool!!

"iufan" wrote in message
om...
My Dachshund (Dinky) is almost 8 years old! Probably around 2 years
ago she got on this chewing fit at nite when we sleep. (she sleeps
with me) She chewed on the sheets,down comforter,(nice waking up to a
bed full of feathers)pillows you name it and she does take toys with
her to bed! She finally quit but now in the last couple mths shes
started up doing it again? I live in a duplex so I cant crate her at
nite cause I know she will just bark like crazy and I am sure my
neighbor that shares the place would'nt like that too well! She only
does it at nite when we sleep! She can be home alone and have the
place to herself and she does'nt do a darn thing to anything! Anybody
had this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?? I am scared to
buy a new comforter or sheets in fear she will chew them up too! I do
have some Bitter Apple from when she was a puppy but not much left in
and I have thought of going out and buying more of it to see if that
would stop her?? I dont want her not to sleep with me cause shes been
doing it since she was a puppy and to be quite truthful I would miss
her not being with me.

Its possible that its anxiety chewing. She wakes up and either can't get
back to sleep or she needs to urinate. I don't know if she can comfortably
jump off the bed (my 9yo female can't jump much at all anymore and I'm glad
for it) or maybe she can but isn't comfortable jumping back up. If this is
the case then she finds herself awake and either bored or in need to urinate
but unable or undesirable to leave the bed (think about how people fidget
when they really have to go but there's no bathroom). It may be none of
those things but that's what immediately comes to mind, especially given her
age. Dachshunds tend to increase the frequency of their urination and lose
some bladder control as they age. My 9yo female now goes every 2 hours
where she used to go 2-3 times a day.

--
Tara

Old August 18th 03, 12:11 PM
iufan

"Tara O." wrote in message ...
"iufan" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Tara! I do alot of lurking here and always find your posts helpful.
Well my dog still jumps in and out of bed which I am not thankful for
due to possible back problems of course. She is quite spoiled so not
sure if that is why she does this knowing if I i dont catch her in the
act I wont do anything to her? Everytime I have found my comforter
chewed the next morning I do show it to her and tell her NO! She then
gives me that cute puppy look so I know she knows its not something
shes supposed to do?? I had thought about what You said She is bored
and I guess the toys she brings to bed are not as much fun as the
other stuff she can destroy ha!! Thanks again for Your input.

Cindy & Dinky