Tuck

Old August 11th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

Default Tuck

"diddy" wrote in message
Tuck has recovered from his surgery, and his new "Trick of the day" was to
learn to get the mail, just like his dad did
http://shell2.lomag.net/~moosedog/Tuck/Tuck.html

===================
What a smart dog; very cute.

Old August 11th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread ink.net:
"pfoley" whittled the following words:

"diddy" wrote in message
Tuck has recovered from his surgery, and his new "Trick of the day"
was to learn to get the mail, just like his dad did
http://shell2.lomag.net/~moosedog/Tuck/Tuck.html

===================
What a smart dog; very cute.

Thank you, he's a chip off the old Block

http://shell2.lomag.net/~moosedog/do...Elkhounds.html

===========
Imagine someone driving down that road and spotting the dog getting the
mail, (if, I would have to assume, a car does sometimes drive down that
road)

Old August 11th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"diddy" wrote in message
Tuck has recovered from his surgery, and his new "Trick of the day"
was to learn to get the mail, just like his dad did
http://shell2.lomag.net/~moosedog/Tuck/Tuck.html
===================
What a smart dog; very cute.

Thank you, he's a chip off the old Block

http://shell2.lomag.net/~moosedog/do...Elkhounds.html

===========
Imagine someone driving down that road and spotting the dog getting the
mail, (if, I would have to assume, a car does sometimes drive down that
road)

Cars do, But it may be hours before a car does. And you can hear them
coming over a mile away. I don't send the dogs to get mail or newspapers
when I hear traffic coming. If I wait until they go by, it's safe.

However,
both Reka and Tuck hear the car delivering the paper. (It's got a leaky
manifold, and you can hear it stopping at paper boxes miles down on the
other road, before it turns the corner on the delivery route to our

house.)
when they hear that car, they both go racing to the door in an attempt to
beat each other to the newspaper.

When I send one dog, it is a pretty straight forward affair. Run out to

the
road, wait for the paper man (who hands the paper directly to the dogs)

and
then open the door and let the dog in with the paper.
With TWO dogs sent to get the paper. They both play tug of war with it
vying for possession. It probably takes a lap or two around the pasture,
while one or the other gets enough distance to retain possession. It

always
comes to the door in tatters. Why does it take 30 times longer for TWO

dogs
to get one newspaper than it does for ONE dog to get it?

===
You're just going to have to subscribe to two; it is only fair.
-----

Old August 11th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

diddy wrote:

When I send one dog, it is a pretty straight forward affair. Run out to the
road, wait for the paper man (who hands the paper directly to the dogs) and
then open the door and let the dog in with the paper.
With TWO dogs sent to get the paper. They both play tug of war with it
vying for possession. It probably takes a lap or two around the pasture,
while one or the other gets enough distance to retain possession. It always
comes to the door in tatters. Why does it take 30 times longer for TWO dogs
to get one newspaper than it does for ONE dog to get it?

Re the OP - what a smart boy! You've done amazing things with him.

When they were puppies, Gordo and Chile would both race after a
stuffed toy, and then "cooperate" to bring it back to me. It
always took a lot longer than either alone as they "negotiated"
the route.

Oh, how I wish I'd managed to get it on tape! I was always going
to do it "tomorrow," but they stopped the game and never did it
again. It was a wonderful metaphor for "teamwork" - of the sort
that "I'll be a great team player as long as I get to be in
charge." I saw it happening a lot in the Large Corporation I
worked for at the time.

FurPaw

Did the world go away? Amy Dahl Dog behavior 80 August 12th 06 03:39 AM
tuck update as of Sunday diddy Dog behavior 8 July 3rd 06 03:47 AM
Tuck Update diddy Dog behavior 17 July 2nd 06 11:08 AM
How fast puppies grow! -Tuck update diddy Dog behavior 1 June 2nd 06 06:45 PM