Old dog with "night frights"

Old August 13th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tony Cox

Default Old dog with "night frights"

My old friend Bernie, collie mix, 19 1/2, still healthy
for a dog his age, suffers severe anxiety at night. This
manifests as restlessness & whining. He doesn't appear
to be in pain at all, since during the day he is symptom-
free. We've had him on Valium, but although it seems
to knock him out for 6 hours or so, timing is somewhat
erratic -- sometimes it seems to work immediately, sometimes
not for hours. I've attempted to correlate this with mealtimes,
but it doesn't seem to match -- assuming absorption is related
to when he last ate.

The vet is reluctant to put him on anything stronger, although
that is an option. Anyone have experiences or suggestions?

Old August 13th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

Does he sleep in your bedroom? If not then maybe moving him into the room
with you and investing in a night light might help.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old August 14th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tony Cox

"Spot" wrote in message
Does he sleep in your bedroom? If not then maybe moving him into the room
with you and investing in a night light might help.

He prefers to sleep outside on the lawn, which is fine
by me since he's a little "leaky". When its too hot, he
likes to sleep in front of the TV (Animal Planet), which
we leave on for him.

Whether out or in, he's still got the "frights".

Celeste

ups.com...

Old August 14th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
nancie

Hi.

I lurk to learn, but I have a small bit of knowledge about this. It's
called Sundowner syndrome (or something close to that). It is a form of
dementia. I don't know if it's treatable, but talk more to your vet, or get
another opinion. Your friends waning days may possibly be made less
frightening if there is something your vet can do. I wish you the best of
luck, and give your boy extra love.

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Spot" wrote in message
Does he sleep in your bedroom? If not then maybe moving him into the
room
with you and investing in a night light might help.

He prefers to sleep outside on the lawn, which is fine
by me since he's a little "leaky". When its too hot, he
likes to sleep in front of the TV (Animal Planet), which
we leave on for him.

Whether out or in, he's still got the "frights".

Celeste

ups.com...

Old August 14th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tony Cox

"nancie" wrote in message
. ..
Hi.

I lurk to learn, but I have a small bit of knowledge about this. It's
called Sundowner syndrome (or something close to that). It is a form of
dementia. I don't know if it's treatable, but talk more to your vet, or get
another opinion. Your friends waning days may possibly be made less
frightening if there is something your vet can do. I wish you the best of
luck, and give your boy extra love.

Sounds likely. He does seem to exhibit doggy Alzheimer's.
Bernie's vet is reluctant to give him anything stronger than
valium at his age. I think possible adverse reactions were
mentioned.

Believe me, the little chap has been running on love (and
pork chops) for the last 3 years....

Old August 14th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ups.com...
My old friend Bernie, collie mix, 19 1/2, still healthy
for a dog his age, suffers severe anxiety at night.

The vet is reluctant to put him on anything stronger, although
that is an option. Anyone have experiences or suggestions?

.............what does he consider *stronger*? I'd try Anipryl.

http://www.mediarelations.k-state.ed...stqualityoflif
e.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anipryl.html

........good luck to you and your oldster
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old August 15th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Carol

I had a senior citizen once that responded wonderfully when I put him on
Science Diet "BD". It is a specialized diet for senior dogs. I was seeing
clear episodes of dementia that disappeared when he started eating BD.....

Carol

ups.com...

Old August 15th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tony Cox

buglady wrote:
"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ups.com...
My old friend Bernie, collie mix, 19 1/2, still healthy
for a dog his age, suffers severe anxiety at night.

The vet is reluctant to put him on anything stronger, although
that is an option. Anyone have experiences or suggestions?

............what does he consider *stronger*? I'd try Anipryl.

http://www.mediarelations.k-state.ed...stqualityoflif
e.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anipryl.html

.......good luck to you and your oldster
buglady
take out the dog before replying

The references you provided were very informative. Perhaps
it is possible to cure Bernie's dementia as well. It'll be good
to breathe some life into the old fellow.

Old August 16th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mirelle

Tony Cox wrote:
snip
My old friend Bernie, collie mix, 19 1/2, still healthy
for a dog his age, suffers severe anxiety at night. This
manifests as restlessness & whining. He doesn't appear
to be in pain at all, since during the day he is symptom-
free. We've had him on Valium, but although it seems
to knock him out for 6 hours or so, timing is somewhat
erratic -- sometimes it seems to work immediately, sometimes
not for hours. I've attempted to correlate this with mealtimes,
but it doesn't seem to match -- assuming absorption is related
to when he last ate.

The vet is reluctant to put him on anything stronger, although
that is an option. Anyone have experiences or suggestions?

snip

The Valium is probably the safest choice for your dog. Due to his age.
If something stronger were to be given, it may mask symptoms that are
not visible. So long as Bernie is sleeping and you keep an eye on him
for any other new symptoms during the day.
He may have unseen problems that are causing him pain, dogs often hide
their pain. Perhaps it could be a mental condition presenting itself,
like a form of dementia that is causing the anxiety. He may have his
memory and thoughts scrambled from dementia,
The Valium has a long half life and tolerance happens after 6 weeks of
continuous use. So the Valium itself can also cause anxiety, as an
unusual response to the drug. Or the dosage has become low enough to
have developed tolerance and so Bernie is showing anxiety from
withdrawal.
The best thing would be to let him be as he is. Not on any
pharmaceutical drugs. Valerian root tincture works better then Valium
and there is no developing tolerance, or a hangover affect from it's
use.
This way, if Bernie has underlying problems that are not yet
detectible, they will not be masked by any drugs.

Mirelle