Yorktese Breeder

Old August 18th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
janet hodson

Default Yorktese Breeder

My friend is lookig for a quality breeder of Yorktese puppies can anyone
help her? I only had bad luck with the puppy mill Soo Big Dogs in Missouri.

Old August 18th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

janet hodson wrote:

My friend is lookig for a quality breeder of Yorktese puppies can anyone
help her? I only had bad luck with the puppy mill Soo Big Dogs in Missouri.

Hi Janet,

I think you will find that the folks who have offered you
helpful advice on this forum have essentially the same opinion
of breeders of cross-breeds that they do of "puppy mills."

The problem is that within a breed, there are defined standards
for temperament and structure, and data available on hereditary
health problems that can be used to reduce their incidence.
There are no such standards for crossbreds, no databases,
and each litter is a genetic "dead end"--no opportunity for
the breeder to improve his/her "line" with each generation.

The kind of breeder that is recommended here will be drawn
to purebreds, where standards exist describing the ideal dog,
and the potential exists to progressively improve.

I don't know if there is any scope for your friend to reconsider
what she is looking for. A purebred Yorkie, a Maltese, or any
of several breeds might be an alternative choice, and available
from a concerned breeder--although not necessarily immediately.

HTH,

Amy Dahl

Old August 18th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article bKiFg.4545$SZ3.3174@dukeread04, Suja wrote:
By definition, she is not going to find a responsible breeder who
deliberately creates mutts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
for the pet market.

Bad policies lead to bad results.
Old August 18th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"janet hodson" wrote in message:

My friend is lookig for a quality breeder of Yorktese puppies

By definition, she is not going to find a responsible breeder who
deliberately creates mutts. Nothing against mutts (have one of my own), but
calling a mixed breed dog by a cutesy name is just a marketing gimmick.
Instead of paying huge amounts of money to someone who is breeding purely
for cash flow, why not research and find a good breeder of either a Yorkie
or a Maltese? If she is set on getting a mixed breed dog, local shelters
are full of them. www.petfinder.com is a good way to find dogs in rescues
and shelters in your area (you can use breed, size, gender and geographic
area as search criteria).

Suja

Old August 18th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

janet hodson wrote:
My friend is lookig for a quality breeder of Yorktese puppies can anyone
help her? I only had bad luck with the puppy mill Soo Big Dogs in Missouri.

First, why does she want a mixed breed dog? What does she think a
Yorkie x Maltese will provide that a Yorkie *or* a Maltese will not?
In other words, what is it about either a Yorkie or a Maltese that
she finds undesirable?

Second, I can guarantee you that you will not be able to find a
responsible breeder of Yorkie-Maltese mixes. It's not that such a
breeder could not theoretically exist. They could (and, as Melinda
pointed out, they do exist in the world of working dogs). The
likelihood of a breeder producing a Yorkie-Maltese mix and *also*
doing it responsibly is not very high, though. These dogs are
produced by mills and backyard breeders exclusively to feed supply,
without any concern given to testing for genetic health or for good,
sound temperament. This sort of breeder does not care about
anything but the bottom line: creating pups for bucks. Because no
care is given to producing healthy, sound dogs, there is no
advantage in purchasing such a dog over obtaining one from a rescue
or shelter.

For me, it comes down to the fact that I am unwilling to reward
someone with my money for something that I think is unethical.
There are better ways to spend my cash, and there is no shortage of
dogs in need of homes. Far better to go to a rescue group or
shelter than to pay someone to carelessly breed more pet puppies, a
large percentage of which will ultimately end up in shelters
themselves.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old August 18th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:20:30 GMT, "janet hodson"
wrote:

My friend is lookig for a quality breeder of Yorktese puppies can anyone
help her? I only had bad luck with the puppy mill Soo Big Dogs in Missouri.

If your friend is looking for some quality mixed-breed puppies (some
of them may even be Yorkie/Maltese mixes), she can find a lot of them
down at her local humane society or shelter, and they won't charge her
an arm and a leg for one, either.

The pup may even come already (or mostly) housebroken, have its own
collar and leash, some toys, and will cost her maybe $75.

A pretty good deal, if you ask me.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

France to send cooks, can-can dancers, and mimes to augment UN forces in Lebanon, but no actual soldiers!
http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5290403&nav=0oa8
Who's next?
http://hotair.com/archives/2006/08/1...-months-later/
Corruption of faith?
http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...rticle_id=5764
Why diplomacy is almost always a sham:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...Lebano n&only
There will be no "peaceful solution":
http://www.dailypundit.com/2006/08/r...le_thing_1.php
The family that kills together...
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl..._Together&only
Indeed, those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.
Historians: Warsaw Ghetto Uprising was Overreaction
http://thepeoplescube.com/red/viewtopic.php?t=797
Do you know what happens when bad behavior is reinforced and rewarded?
http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2006/08...-disaster.html
So much for the "reality based community."
Rednecks, White Power, and Blue States:
http://andune.blogspot.com/2006/08/r...ue-states.html
Five Minutes to Midnight:
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...Y0M2ZiMGFkNGI=
Let the Jews Die:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=23822
Fauxtography:
http://hotair.com/archives/2006/08/10/fauxtography/
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...elmet_Guy&only
http://www.aish.com/movies/PhotoFraud.asp
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...Pallywood&only
Well, *this* certainly isn't good news:
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm
The Brink of Madness. A familiar place.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q4OWMzNDhmMzk=
Obsession: Radical Islam’s War with the West (a must-see movie!):
http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/
Old August 18th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Christy

My friend is lookig for a quality breeder of Yorktese puppies can anyone
help her? I only had bad luck with the puppy mill Soo Big Dogs in
Missouri.

Not a real quick learner, are you?

Christy

Old August 18th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

wrote:

My friend is lookig for a quality breeder of Yorktese puppies can anyone
help her? I only had bad luck with the puppy mill Soo Big Dogs in Missouri.

Best place? Look on petfinder.com for one and you can often get one
that is already housebroken, properly housebroken. Best dogs we've
ever had have come from rescues. Not many reputable breeders will
breed yorkie/maltese mixes for reasons others have given you.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,