Dog Breed

Old August 21st 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs
Toni

Default Dog Breed

"Plague" wrote in message
m...
I'm a 39 year old married man. I have three lovely daughters ages 3,5,& 7
(stair steps) and we are thinking about bringing a dog into our lives.

I am attracted to the following breeds for various reasons: Doberman,
Great Dane, Bulldog (American & English) , rottweiler, mastiff &
bloodhound.

My wife is attracted to the following "breeds": labradoodle (mongrel), and
collie.

My daughters are attracted to the following breed: Dalmatian.

Does anyone have any lovely advice to offer?

I would suggest that you spend some time in research after first assessing
accurately how you envision spending time with this dog on a daily basis.

At least two of the breeds you've listed I would class as high energy dogs
that would require extensive exercise- Dalmatians and Bloodhounds, while
others are very low energy (Eng. Bulldogs and Mastiffs). This alone tells me
that you haven't really given a lot of though to *interacting* with the dog
in your everyday life. Looks are but one small aspect of choosing a breed
that fits into your life- behavior and breed specific tendencies are much
more pertinent over the long haul IMO.

It is all well and good to make your first list by breeds whose appearance
you like, but the next step is to identify behavioral characteristics that
fit into your family on a daily basis, and I don't sense that you have
gotten that far yet.

Here's a brief piece I wrote about choosing a breed- maybe it will give you
something to think about.
http://tinyurl.com/gle4s

Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm