pain management suggestions please

Old August 21st 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
ECLiPSE 2002

Default pain management suggestions please

I have a 10 year old Golden Retriever who has had bilateral surgery
for torn ACLs and has moderate dysplasia. Lately he has been
experiencing difficulty in getting up from a prone position and
requires human intervention to rise - presumably because of pain. The
vet says he has arthritis in his knees and hips and has written
prescriptions for Rimadyl and more recently for Deramaxx - both Cox 2
inhibitors. Both have prohibitive costs associated with them for his
weight class for a senior couple with a fixed income.

I have been giving Bailey glucosamine and chrondroitin, fish oil and
a enteric coated 325 mg aspirin twice daily with meals.

My question is can I increase the aspirin dosage for his weight and if
so what amount would be safe daily - or is there another over the
counter pain killer/anti inflammatory that would serve as an
alternate?

Thanks for any input and advice.

Frank
Old August 21st 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Your best bet is to keep you dog on the medications suggested by the
vet. Unfortunately those medications have not been out for very long
and there is not a generic brand yet so they are very expensive. Have
you discussed the possibility of using adequan. It is and injection
that you can get from your vet. It lubricates the joints so that your
dog shoul have less pain moving around.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Old August 21st 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Toni

"ECLiPSE 2002" wrote in message

I have a 10 year old Golden Retriever who has had bilateral surgery
for torn ACLs and has moderate dysplasia. Lately he has been
experiencing difficulty in getting up from a prone position and
requires human intervention to rise - presumably because of pain. The
vet says he has arthritis in his knees and hips and has written
prescriptions for Rimadyl and more recently for Deramaxx - both Cox 2
inhibitors. Both have prohibitive costs associated with them for his
weight class for a senior couple with a fixed income.

Consider having your veterinarian write a prescription so you can shop
online for a better price. I was using Metacam daily on a 170 lb. dog for
the same issues, and online shopping helped make it less cost prohibitive. I
was able to buy huge containers that really cut the price down.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old August 22nd 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

If your vet won't give you a prescription ask if he will sell it to you at
the price you can buy it on line. My vet did this with my previous dog. To
buy one month at a time was almost 45 from the vets office. I found it
online and for 160.00 if I bought 6 months worth. I simply told him I can't
afford to pay what you want and he agreed to price match the online price if
I bought 6 months from him at a time.

Celeste

.. .

Old August 23rd 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
ECLiPSE 2002

Many thanks to Celeste, Toni and amschabert for their input and
kindness for responding.

Frank

Old August 24th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

If cost of prescription medication is an issue you will find that it's much
cheaper to buy it online if you buy 3 to 6 months at a time. Some vets will
give you a prescription and others don't like to. My orthopedic doen't like
to because he's afraid of people getting knock offs. I simply told him I
couldn't afford $45.00 a month to buy it from him and I could find it online
and buy 6 months worth for 159.00. Instead he offered to sell me the same 6
months worth at the online price if I bought it from him. We did this for
almost 2 years until Barney passed away.

I am going to see if he will offer me the same deal we had for Barney for my
dog I have now. It never hurts to ask.

Also if you are going to purchase online shop around the prices can vary
greatly from one pharmacy to another.

Celeste

Old August 25th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
ECLiPSE 2002

Thanks for the heads up on med acquision.

Frank