Dog Breeds, Expense

Old August 23rd 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs.misc,alt.radio.talk.richard-dolce
pfoley

Default Dog Breeds, Expense

"Thomas Silverstein" wrote in message
newsan.2006.08.23.03.37.40.687180@Thomas-Silverstein...
Do you think that certain types of dogs tend to require a greater
financial commitment that others in terms of food, housing, veterinary
care and so on? Are there particular breeds that you feel require far less
or far more financial resources in order to properly care for them.

I'm not asking in terms of the price one might pay to a breeder in order
to purchase the dog. I'm asking in terms of the financial means required
to properly care for the animal.

I would not want to bring an animal into my home that I would be unable to
properly provide for.

======================
There is a difference. Dogs with long coats require a groomer to bathe and
brush them out and often. They get dirtier faster in wet weather and they
have undercoats that become very matted and painful to them. They must be
groomed all the time. This gets expensive. I think long haired dogs are
the most expensive to take care of.
Large dogs, of course, eat more food, so the cost goes up for their food,
plus kennels charge more to board a larger dog than a small dog.
When traveling on a plane, if you have a tiny dog that will fit into a crate
under your plane seat, you can travel with your dog; very convenient. Many
rental homes and hotels will only allow small dogs, but not large dogs, but
AAA will let you know which places allow large dogs when traveling; I travel
with a large dog.
I would say the grooming part of dog ownership is the most expensive, so if
you can avoid owning a long-haired dog you would save a lot of money.

Dog Breeds, Expense pfoley Dogs - general 0 August 23rd 06 01:08 PM
Dog Breeds, Expense Paula Dog health 0 August 23rd 06 06:31 AM
Dog Breeds, Expense [email protected] Dogs - general 0 August 23rd 06 05:02 AM
Dog Breeds, Expense [email protected] Dog health 0 August 23rd 06 05:02 AM
Dog Breeds, Expense [email protected] Dog breeds 0 August 23rd 06 05:02 AM