Great Dane puppy growth

Old August 24th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
kmang33

Default Great Dane puppy growth

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 13 week old black Dane puppy. I was told
something by the breeder that I'm trying to confirm. They mentioned
that because Danes grow to be so large, different parts of their bodies
will develop at different times. Is this true? Her back legs are
longer than her front, and seem to be a little weak at times. I have
done a lot of research and know about wobbler's, HOD, pano. I saw both
her parents and grandparents, none of them had any developmental
problems, so I would say the genetic factor is pretty well ruled out.
I've also been keeping her on a low-calcium diet (adult Purina One Lamb
and Rice) with low protein as well, again on advice of the breeder (who
said that was what they were feeding her) so I think the nurtritional
element is taken care of as well. Thanks much for the help.

Old August 24th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

On 23 Aug 2006 20:46:47 -0700 kmang33 whittled these words:
Hi, I am the proud owner of a 13 week old black Dane puppy. I was told
something by the breeder that I'm trying to confirm. They mentioned
that because Danes grow to be so large, different parts of their bodies
will develop at different times. Is this true? Her back legs are
longer than her front, and seem to be a little weak at times. I have

Yes - puppies get all gangly at times.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old August 24th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
chris jung

"kmang33" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am the proud owner of a 13 week old black Dane puppy. I was told
something by the breeder that I'm trying to confirm. They mentioned
that because Danes grow to be so large, different parts of their bodies
will develop at different times.

Well from my experience, this can be true of many dog breeds - especially
the larger ones. I have Smooth Collies - largish dogs but nothing like
Great Danes in size. My Zeffie never went through awkward stages. Pablo,
OTOH, went through some funny ones. When we got him at 9 weeks, he was a
very cute little puppydog but didn't look that much like a collie. At 13
week, seemingly overnight, his nose and legs shot out to almost adult size.
He was very goofy looking with that big schnoz, long coltish legs attached
to a little puppy body & neck. Happily over the next six months the rest
caught up and he turned into a handsome smoothie.

Sometimes things don't even out. Our Lucy was a show dog (has 4 points) but
when she matured, she was too high in the rear (she's a 21" collie in the
front, a 22" collie in the back) and her breeder decided to place her.

Chris and her smoothies,
Pablo and Lucy

Old August 24th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Toni

"kmang33" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am the proud owner of a 13 week old black Dane puppy. I was told
something by the breeder that I'm trying to confirm. They mentioned
that because Danes grow to be so large, different parts of their bodies
will develop at different times. Is this true?

Yes it is true, and can be quite pronounced in giant breeds
Here is a month by month photo record of one of our Wolfhounds growth-
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com/Steve's_growth.htm

As you can see in some months his legs grew, or his front end, or in one
particularly strange month his neck. Other months he increased in weight but
not in height.
With the giants you pretty much have to select the parents extremely
carefully, pick out a puppy at around 8-12 weeks, and then try not to
scrutinize them too closely for the next year as far as structural balance
goes.

Feed him a diet that doesn't push growth (like your breeder has given you)
and allow him daily free running, off leash playtime on grass or dirt. Avoid
long forced walks on leash, especially on pavement or concrete.
Mother nature will do the rest.

Good luck!
Hold him in your lap every possible moment- they grow up much too quickly.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old August 24th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
kmang33

Great, thanks for all the responses, it's really eased my mind. And
yes, I love her so much already, she's so cute and just tons of fun. I
think she's going to grow up just fine, I'm really working to make sure
she gets the right food and exercise and in the right proportions.
Thanks again and good luck to you all with your bundles of joy (little
or giant as they may be).

Toni wrote:
oups.com...

Old August 24th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"kmang33" wrote in message

Great, thanks for all the responses, it's really eased my mind.

Yup, Toni is spot on, with the growth, diet and exercise requirements of
giant breeds. If you want to go some place Dane specific, try
danesonline.com.

Suja