Resource agressive Westie update

Old August 24th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

Default Resource agressive Westie update

The resource aggressive Westie I wrote about on 8-13-06 has been sent to
a rescue group--which is far better than the landfill. I had done about
all I could, which was about all that needed to be done.

I was able to get him to ignore his bedding, let me play with his toys,
and hold jerky treats in front of him. I was allowed to take him into an
empty run, but that is not the same as his own run [in isolation, where
I'm not allowed]. I was told that he was still protective of canned
food, but I think he could be taught to ignore that, too. I believe he
will be safe enough, for anyone who understands how to be both loving
and assertive.

I began with the attitude, "I love you, but I'm not going to tolerate
you biting me." I showed him that we both could play with his toys
together, and that if I took his food, I'd probably give it back.

As I took control, he didn't withdraw or become more hostile: he became
more affectionate and uninhibited. I liked seeing the transformation.
This was a good experience for both of us.

The shelter told me the rescue folks would continue working with him,
until they feel confident about his behavior.

___________________
A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old August 24th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Michael A. Ball wrote in
:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:02:39 -0500, diddy
wrote:

in thread : Michael A.
Ball whittled the following words:

The resource aggressive Westie I wrote about on 8-13-06 has been
sent to a rescue group--which is far better than the landfill. I had
done about all I could, which was about all that needed to be done.

I must have missed something. Was this a personal dog? Or a dog at
your shelter that you were trying to rehab?
At least he's in good hands.

No, no; my personal dogs know better. He was a shelter dog. He was put
in the adoption area, but I discovered, by accident, that he didn't
like to have his bedding, toys or food messed with, and would bite at
people. I wasn't intimidated, but I had to inform the shelter. So, he
was moved to isolation.

It looked like he might be PTS, but I persuaded the shelter to let me
work with him. He made a lot of great progress. I certainly felt
comfortable with him.
________________________
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Where are you located? The rescue group where I got Rosalie and Max is
getting a resource-guarding Westie, that's why I'm asking -- I think he's
on his way from SW VA, but I could be wrong about that. Just curious --
it would be funny if it were the same one. This is a very excellent
rescue group.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old August 24th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Toni

"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
The resource aggressive Westie I wrote about on 8-13-06 has been sent to
a rescue group--which is far better than the landfill. I had done about
all I could, which was about all that needed to be done.

"All you could do" is an understatement- you did great.
You got him into the hands of knowledgeable people that understand
hardheaded terriers, and have the time and resources to find him a suitable,
well screened home.
You saved his life, and you have a very well secured place in doggy heaven.

Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old August 24th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:34:09 +0000 (UTC), ceb
wrote:

Where are you located? The rescue group where I got Rosalie and Max is
getting a resource-guarding Westie, that's why I'm asking -- I think he's
on his way from SW VA, but I could be wrong about that. Just curious --
it would be funny if it were the same one. This is a very excellent
rescue group.

I'm in Johnson City, TN--in the very northeast tip of the state.

In my humble opinion, this little dog has plenty of potential.
Every dog is an individual, as is their guardian: no single training method works for all.