Any tips for transition from puppy training pads to outside?

Old August 26th 06, 12:43 AM
Dianna Dianna is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Any tips for transition from puppy training pads to outside?

I was just wondering if anyone may have some helpful hints/tips for transitioning from the use of puppy training pads (inside) to training to go outside. My puppy is 8mos. old and I know I should have started his outside training sooner but due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to do so. He has begun marking in the house. He is fully trained to use the puppy pads and does so all the time with no accidents in months now. He is a purebred Bichon and we plan to use him as a stud dog so we do not have any plans for neutering any time soon. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dianna
Old August 26th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mirelle

Default Any tips for transition from puppy training pads to outside?

Dianna wrote:
snip
I was just wondering if anyone may have some helpful hints/tips for
transitioning from the use of puppy training pads (inside) to training
to go outside. My puppy is 8mos. old and I know I should have started
his outside training sooner but due to circumstances beyond my control
I was unable to do so. He has begun marking in the house. He is fully
trained to use the puppy pads and does so all the time with no accidents
in months now. He is a purebred Bichon and we plan to use him as a stud
dog so we do not have any plans for neutering any time soon. Any
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dianna

You did not say what kind of pup it is.
I do not believe you that you have a pup. It is most likely Ninny Boy
who is posting this so he can answer himself !

Mirelle

Old August 26th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Dianna said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I was just wondering if anyone may have some helpful
hints/tips for transitioning from the use of puppy training
pads (inside) to training to go outside. My puppy is 8mos.
old and I know I should have started his outside training
sooner but due to circumstances beyond my control I was
unable to do so. He has begun marking in the house. He is
fully trained to use the puppy pads and does so all the
time with no accidents in months now. He is a purebred
Bichon and we plan to use him as a stud dog so we do not
have any plans for neutering any time soon. Any
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It's disturbing to see a potential breeder who knows nothing
about housetraining a dog. What has the breeder told you?

Anyway, take a used pee pad outside and throw it in the
garbage. Never use one again. Supervision from now on,
including crating and tethering. Your dog is back to puppy
status as to reliability in the house.

Set your alarm clock for every two hours. Take your stud
outside to pee on a tree and wait for a least 5 marks (that's
a number I made up, but it seems reasonable based on the
intact dogs I've looked after) and have tons of fun when he
makes his last mark (yes, I know, it's hard to tell).

Never use the crate or leash for punishment. Never punish
your dog for marking or peeing in the house. Neuter your dog.

Old August 27th 06, 02:56 AM
Dianna Dianna is offline
Junior Member

Dianna said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.[/quote]

It's disturbing to see a potential breeder who knows nothing
about housetraining a dog. What has the breeder told you?

Matt, thanks for your reply.

I have housetrained dogs before, but have never used the training pads. The breeder suggested using the pads, and actually he was already acclimated to them when we got him. A few people have suggested gradually moving the pad closer to the door and then eventually outside and then eventually take the pad away. I was just looking for anyone who may have trained this way before, since this is new to me.

Yes, we are new to breeding. We only intend to offer our male for those who may need his services. We do not have a female. The marking problem is new to us as this is the first dog we've ever had that was not spayed or neutered, and we've only ever had females. We have not punished him for this new habit he has started, and most times he is not caught 'in the act' anyways. We are familiar with crate training, he is always crated overnight and when we are not home.

If offering him as a stud is unsuccessful then we will have him neutered.
Old August 27th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:56:45 +0000 Dianna whittled these words:

If offering him as a stud is unsuccessful then we will have him neutered.

I'm not sure what you would consider to be "successful."
Please consider the Dog Breeder's Worksheet
http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/breeder_worksheet.html
and
http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/be_a_breeder.html

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old August 28th 06, 02:31 AM
Dianna Dianna is offline
Junior Member

]On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:56:45 +0000 Dianna whittled these words:

If offering him as a stud is unsuccessful then we will have him neutered.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you would consider to be "successful."
Please consider the Dog Breeder's Worksheet
Dog-Play: Dog Breeder's Worksheet - Preparing for Breeding Your Favorite Pet Dog
and
Dog-Play: How to get started as a dog breeder

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
while preaching with violent words.
Dog Play: Great activities you can do with your dog Dog Play Mall: Great Gifts for Dog Lovers: Shirts, Stickers, Mugs and More

Thanks for the info. I basically meant that I am not sure if there is a demand for stud dogs in my area for his breed (Bichon Frise). I am looking for info. on breeding/studding. He is first and foremost a very much loved member of our family. If him being used as a stud is in any way not a good thing or good idea, we will definietly not pursue it.

He is such a character and so friendly and loving to ALL, we just thought he would be a good candidate for the job. Of course we know the female dogs genetics are also a considerable factor in producing pups with his same temperment. So, I am just hoping I can find enough good info. to make a well informed decision on this matter. And if I have not then he will just simply be our [neutered] beloved family pet.
Old August 28th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Dianna said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have housetrained dogs before, but have never used the
training pads. The breeder suggested using the pads, and
actually he was already acclimated to them when we got him.
A few people have suggested gradually moving the pad closer
to the door and then eventually outside and then eventually
take the pad away.

I know that that's a common procedure - a hold-over from the
old days of paper training. In my opinion it does nothing but
confuse the dog as to whether he should pee inside or out.

Believe me, unless you live on the top floor of a highrise
with a slow elevator and have a dog with a chronic urinary
tract infection - lose the pee pad.

I've trained and have helped housetrain many puppies. A take-
him-outside schedule works wonders and doesn't involve my or
guest dogs peeing inside. It doesn't confuse the dog.
Initially, it's a lot more work for you (getting up in the
middle of the night and other scheduling-type stuff), but it
will be a *lot* less work once you have a reliable dog.

I was just looking for anyone who may
have trained this way before, since this is new to me.

Then start fresh, the right way.

Yes, we are new to breeding. We only intend to offer our
male for those who may need his services. We do not have a
female. The marking problem is new to us as this is the
first dog we've ever had that was not spayed or neutered,
and we've only ever had females.

Male unneutered dog == marking, as you acknowledge.
Male unneutered dog being trained to pee inside == smelly
walls.

Even if he squats now, he won't be squatting soon.

We have not punished him
for this new habit he has started,

Good!

and most times he is not caught 'in the act' anyways.

Why not?

We are familiar with crate
training, he is always crated overnight and when we are not
home.

Certainly, crate familiarisation is a good thing, but that's
not crate training. Properly used, a crate is used as part of
a transition period whereby a new dog becomes familiar and
confortable in a new house.

If offering him as a stud is unsuccessful then we will have
him neutered.

Really, it's not worth it, but that's my opinion as a casual
dog owner. You'll soon begin to learn some of the
difficulties involved in keeping an intact dog; it may be
worthwhile to write down now as to why you want to be a
breeder and how you're going to approach it. Diane's
checklist is the best way to start.

As a start, what do you think of the mentoring your dog's
breeder has provided to you?

Old August 29th 06, 08:01 PM
Dianna Dianna is offline
Junior Member

[quote]Why not?

I do catch him sometimes, but not always.

I am home all day, he is only crated when we are gone for extened periods. We have begun leaving him out of the crate at night. He is in our bedroom with us, door closed. He has been doing very well. He will even wake me up when he has to relieve himself in the middle of the night.

I did visit the sites Diane suggested, and there is more involved that I was aware of.

Quote:
As a start, what do you think of the mentoring your dog's
breeder has provided to you?
Honestly, I'm not real impressed. This is the first purebred dog we have ever had. We usually adopt from the shelter. And in the future that is most likely what we will do again.

Thanks for your reply. I realize now in hindsight that the training pads weren't the best way. Unfortunetly, shortly after getting our puppy I experienced some [unforeseen]diabilitating medical problems, which is why we continued with the pads since he was using them very well. I agree with you, and will probably never use them again.

I am an avid dog lover and will do whatever is best for my dog. I am reconsidering the stud idea as well. First and foremost, our dog is a much loved member of our family.