breaking out of house

Old August 27th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
LB

Default breaking out of house

Hi,
I could really use some help and advice on what to do with our dog. We
got her from the pound two years ago and at that time, whenever we
would leave the house she would break out (broke out windows, chewed
off trim to open doors, even chewed through the garage door). When my
husband and I were at the house with her she was happy and well
adjusted. This ended up resolving after a few thousand dollars of
damage and few months time.

Well, we have just moved to a new house in a new town and this behavior
has recurred and stepped up. She has gone through the windows over ten
times (we have those old fashioned slat glass windows), through a
screen door, and has chewed the trim off the front door. Luckily, she
has not hurt herself (yet). We have tried to make home fun for her,
make her secure and comfortable, and we have tried to leave the house
for 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc...to extend the time we are gone. But she
goes for the windows within 30 seconds of our departure. This has now
gone on for weeks and we are nearing our wit's end. Any advice would
be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

Old August 27th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 26 Aug 2006 23:36:33 -0700, "LB" wrote:

Any advice would
be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

I have been there, done that, cried and torn my hair out, etc. You have
my deepest sympathies for what you're going through.

First, one minute is apparently too long an amount of time to start
with. Begin very slowly, with just shutting the door, pausing for a
couple of seconds, then reentering the house. Work up from that.

Second, get a sturdy crate. There are very nice, rugged ones that dog
sports folks use that are (I think?) stainless steel. They're
expensive, but cheaper than the home repairs you've had to do. I'm sure
someone here can give you a pointer on where to get one. Crating her
while you are gone will not only save your house, but it could very well
save your dog's life. Breaking out of the house is dangerous, and so is
wandering the streets.

Third, you really need in-person help with this from a qualified
behaviorist who has experience dealing with separation anxiety. It
*can* be dealt with successfully, but it will take time, patience, and
possibly medication, at least at the beginning.

--
Shelly

Don't spill my bones my precious stones once belonged to a girl
too gullible to ever be taken for serious mettle
-- Susan McKeown, Bones
Old August 27th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"LB" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

======
I had a similar problem. My previous Rottie broke out of a large steel
double padlocked crate twice, leaving the two padlocks still in tact and
locked on the crate door. Another time we tried putting her in the bathroom
when we went out for a few hours. When we returned the entire door frame
had been eaten away and she was outside the bathroom. We had to replace the
door frame and door. From then on we just took her with us everywhere. She
never minded waiting for us in the car, and when at home she slept on her
own sheepskin bed in the hallway between my bedroom and the front door; no
more crates.
======================

Old August 27th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:23:37 GMT, "pfoley" wrote:

My previous Rottie broke out of a large steel
double padlocked crate twice, leaving the two padlocks still in tact and
locked on the crate door. Another time we tried putting her in the bathroom
when we went out for a few hours. When we returned the entire door frame
had been eaten away and she was outside the bathroom. We had to replace the
door frame and door.

Did you ever try leaving her loose in the house? Some dogs (not the
OP's, obviously) become anxious in confined spaces, but do fine when
left to have the run of the house.

From then on we just took her with us everywhere.

I don't imagine that would be an acceptable "solution" for most people.

--
Shelly

I would prefer not to.
-- Bartleby the Scrivener
Old August 27th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Shelly" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:23:37 GMT, "pfoley" wrote:

My previous Rottie broke out of a large steel
double padlocked crate twice, leaving the two padlocks still in tact and
locked on the crate door. Another time we tried putting her in the

bathroom
when we went out for a few hours. When we returned the entire door frame
had been eaten away and she was outside the bathroom. We had to replace

the
door frame and door.

Did you ever try leaving her loose in the house? Some dogs (not the
OP's, obviously) become anxious in confined spaces, but do fine when
left to have the run of the house.

From then on we just took her with us everywhere.

I don't imagine that would be an acceptable "solution" for most people.

--
Shelly

I would prefer not to.
-- Bartleby the Scrivener

===================
She was always left loose in the house. We used to put her in a crate only
at night when we first adopted her. AFter the breaks, she was kept loose at
night.

Old August 27th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:30:06 GMT, "pfoley" wrote:

She was always left loose in the house.

Why did you crate her, then?

We used to put her in a crate only
at night when we first adopted her. AFter the breaks, she was kept loose at
night.

But did you leave her loose in the house while you were gone?

--
Shelly

The more he looked inside the more Piglet wasn't there.
-- A.A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Old August 27th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

"LB" wrote in message
[...]

What breed, if I may ask? Just curious.

flick 100785

Old September 2nd 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On 26 Aug 2006 23:36:33 -0700, "LB" wrote:

Well, we have just moved to a new house in a new town and this behavior
has recurred and stepped up. She has gone through the windows over ten
times (we have those old fashioned slat glass windows), through a
screen door, and has chewed the trim off the front door. Luckily, she
has not hurt herself (yet). We have tried to make home fun for her,
make her secure and comfortable, and we have tried to leave the house
for 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc...to extend the time we are gone. But she
goes for the windows within 30 seconds of our departure. This has now
gone on for weeks and we are nearing our wit's end. Any advice would
be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

Doggy day care would be cheaper than fixing all the damage. She will
do better with people than alone.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,