Housebreaking Puppy

Old August 28th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,misc.misc
Mr. Jim McManus

Default Housebreaking Puppy

I'm looking for advice on housebreaking a puppy (12 weeks old). We're
trying to crate train him. He hasn't had an accident in the house until
today, he pooped in the foyer a little while ago. When the dog poops is
it appropriate to redirect him in some way or does that just create
confusion?

I know you aren't supposed to yell at the dog, smear his nose in it, or
any of the other stereotypically cruel things that some people do. I
just wondered if there is a more sensible and constructive way to
address the "accident."

Thanks!

-Jim

ps. if you are aware of any good resources online that deal with
housetraining dogs, crate training, and so on I'd be interested in
hearing about them.

Old August 28th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,misc.misc
lgohring

When we got our dog from the shelter she came with some phamplets and
one of them was on housebreaking.
It says to clean up the dog waste and take it outside to the spot you
want your dog to use. Take the puppy with you. Smelling their own waste
is suppose to trigger them to go again. This time in the correct spot.

Old August 28th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,misc.misc
Todd H.

"Mr. Jim McManus" writes:

I'm looking for advice on housebreaking a puppy (12 weeks old). We're
trying to crate train him. He hasn't had an accident in the house until
today, he pooped in the foyer a little while ago. When the dog poops is
it appropriate to redirect him in some way or does that just create
confusion?

At that point, mostly it's appropriate to tell yourself you screwed up
and didn't get him outside in time. :-)

Get him out of the room and clean it up throughly using a chemical
deodorizer to minimize the chance he'll select that spot again.

Are you feeding him on a defined schedule? Are you keeping him with
you or in the crate at all times? A puppy can't be left to their own
devices during housetraining.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old September 8th 06, 01:02 PM
Benji_mybaby Benji_mybaby is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim McManus
I'm looking for advice on housebreaking a puppy (12 weeks old). We're
trying to crate train him. He hasn't had an accident in the house until
today, he pooped in the foyer a little while ago. When the dog poops is
it appropriate to redirect him in some way or does that just create
confusion?

I know you aren't supposed to yell at the dog, smear his nose in it, or
any of the other stereotypically cruel things that some people do. I
just wondered if there is a more sensible and constructive way to
address the "accident."

Hi Jim.

Mr. Gary L. Clemmons has written very useful tips in simple way(s) to let our baby understand whats wrong and right.

If you find urine or feces and you did not see your puppy do it, ignore it. If you catch your pup in the act of going, simply say in a loud voice the puppy's name and the word "outside" to attempt to get the pup to stop urinating in midstream. If it stops, rush it outdoors to finish. Never say "No, bad dog". It's not wrong to eliminate, its only wrong to go on the carpet or floor.

Housetraining

Benji.