Rot/Chow/Dob mix w/vomitting

Old August 30th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil

Default Rot/Chow/Dob mix w/vomitting

We have a 7 yr old male Rot/Chow/Dob mix acquired 6 years ago after being
struck by a truck in the hind quater.

Lately he has been vomitting his food-undigested-within 4 hours of feeding.
His stools have varied from normal to slightly soft but not diarrhea.
He sees a vet regularly and gets all normal treatments. We had a tick
problem that we have reolved with yard/home/animal treatments.

What sort of methods could we start with to find a cause? Starving for 24hrs
to start?

Thanks

Old August 30th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Phil" wrote in message
ink.net...
We have a 7 yr old male Rot/Chow/Dob mix acquired 6 years ago after being
struck by a truck in the hind quater.

Lately he has been vomitting his food-undigested-within 4 hours of

feeding.
His stools have varied from normal to slightly soft but not diarrhea.
He sees a vet regularly and gets all normal treatments. We had a tick
problem that we have reolved with yard/home/animal treatments.

What sort of methods could we start with to find a cause? Starving for

24hrs
to start?

Thanks

==
I would take the dog to the vet right away.
Do you think the treatment could have been poisonous to your dog? Did the
dog ingest anything in the yard that was sprayed? My dog eats grass, so I
have to be careful what I put on the grass. I believe lawn treatments using
pesticides can be dangerous to pets and children.

Old August 30th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Phil" wrote in message
ink.net...
Lately he has been vomitting his food-undigested-within 4 hours of

feeding.
His stools have varied from normal to slightly soft but not diarrhea.
He sees a vet regularly and gets all normal treatments. We had a tick
problem that we have reolved with yard/home/animal treatments.

.............If there's no chance the yard treatment caused the problem, I'd
talk to your vet. Could be something like pancreatitis. If the dog is
passing stools he's not blocked, though there could be problems with the
intestines. These are some questions you need to consider. Are the stools
greasy looking at all? How many times a day do you feed? Does this happen
every time the dog eats? How long has this been going on? Have you changed
the food recently?

You can try giving fat free, unsalted broth for 24 hours. Reintroduce low
fat food after this rest of the digestive system with small frequent meals -
3-4 times a day. See if that makes a difference. Any worsening of symptoms
and I'd get to the vet for bloodwork, etc. Usually in cases like this they
take a conservative approach to begin with (if they're sure the dog isn't
blocked or has torsion), unless this has been going on for quite some time.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old August 31st 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil

OK. To address some of the questions.....

pfoley6 and ..buglady......

The yard treatments were 2 months ago and this is a recent thing, like the
last 4 days off and on. Our other dog, a St. Benard, is just fine.

Are the stools greasy looking at all?

Actually some were. Problem is we both work and the dogs go out in the
morning and in the evening. We pick up the yard in the afternoon so some of
the stools have baked in the Texas sun all day.

How many times a day do you feed?

The both eat the same thing at the same time....1.5 cups mix of soft can and
Beneful Healthy, at 530am and 530pm.

Does this happen every time the dog eats? How long has this been going on?

The last 3 times it was about 4 hrs after feeding. This began around last
Friday. They both had their aemi-annual shots Saturday.

Have you changed the food recently? Nope. Same thing since my wife and I
married.

Thanks to everyone for their help. We are thinking of trying to feed him in
the morning a very small amount and see how he does after 24hrs w/o food.

Old August 31st 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Anonymous

Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org
Old September 2nd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil

OK, Just to update. Gus seems to be doing better now. Not sure if it was
just a temporary thing or what but he is eating again and has not had any
issues for the last few days.
We simply starved him for 24 hours and then started him on small meals for
the next 24 hrs.
Thanks to all for the advice.

ink.net...

Old September 2nd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:39:52 GMT, "Phil" ,
clicked their heels and said:

We simply starved him for 24 hours and then started him on small meals for
the next 24 hrs.

"starved" sounds so dramatic! ;-D How about "withheld food" or even
"fasted"? When something's funky, tummy-wise, 24 hour fasting is
definitely a good approach.
--
Janet Boss