Dog urinating in her bed

Old August 31st 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Terri

Default Dog urinating in her bed

For about 1 month, I have been working with a 10 yr female cavalier
spaniel that was part of a puppy mill rescue. She was just spayed when
I received her and was obviously a breeding bitch. She is coming along
nicely in all aspects except that whenever she lays down to sleep/nap -
she does a typical nesting/digging behavior, but then urinates and then
lays in the urine to sleep. She will stay dry if I have her in a very
small crate with no bedding or newspaper - just the plastic crate
bottom. She initially would urinate whenever she felt like it when
walking around the house, but with house training and strict
observation, that is no longer a problem. I don't know how to work with
this intentional urinating and sleeping in it as she will do it on any
bedding, carper or furniture she naps on - even if she had just
urinated outside- any suggestions ? She does not have any urinary tract
infection.

Old August 31st 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
RJ

Terri wrote:
"Terri" wrote in
ups.com:

For about 1 month, I have been working with a 10 yr female cavalier

I don't know how to work with
this intentional urinating and sleeping in it as she will do it on any
bedding, carper or furniture she naps on - even if she had just
urinated outside- any suggestions ? She does not have any urinary tract
infection.

At 10 years old, she *could* be incontinent which is adding to the
problem. Your Vet can try her on some medication for that to see if it
helps. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...ontinence.html
I say *could* because I'm more experienced in the bigger dogs and
the age of 10 is far older for them than in the smaller breeds
but it's a thought, anyway.

Just went through this with my 2yo rescue Britt. Looked around on the
internet and found a medication called DES, discussed it with my vet,
tried it, and shes' had no accidents for a couple months now. It's an
estrogen supplement/replacement as it was explained to me. Inexpensive too.
Good luck,
RJ
Old August 31st 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Terri

Thanks RJ for the advice, but she is not incontinent - she is actively
digging then squatting and urinating I think as an intentional part of
her nesting behavior - I know the DES and PPA meds work for leaking of
urine - This really seems behavioral and so far no one seems to have an
explanation - but greatly appreciate the input

Old August 31st 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
TaraG

"Terri" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks RJ for the advice, but she is not incontinent - she is actively
digging then squatting and urinating I think as an intentional part of
her nesting behavior - I know the DES and PPA meds work for leaking of
urine - This really seems behavioral and so far no one seems to have an
explanation - but greatly appreciate the input

Explanation? Habit, most likely. After 10 years, it become a part of her
pre-sleep pattern. Have you tried interrupting the nesting behavior? I might
start with cuddling her to sleep when possible (for a couple of days),
and/or at least interrupting the nesting cycle as early in its process as I
could (20-30 times per nesting session, if necessary), to distract her from
the patterned behavior.

But then I'm in the middle of glitchy puppy hell with a client here, so I've
been sleep deprived for almost a week now. You might not want to take
anything I say seriously until after the long weekend :-)

Tara

Old August 31st 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread news:IYBJg.4732$ag4.3830@trndny09: "TaraG"
whittled the following words:

"Terri" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Small dog. I think I'd get some doggy diaper incontinence pads. Not sure
it would help, because the dog lays/sleeps in it any way. I'd thoroughly
wash/clean the bed (several times because the scent will probably never
remove) and urine smells change.
But I think this dog is marking territory and claiming it as hers. I would
wash it in scent free detergents with no softeners.
If somehow a scent got there, she may be trying to mark over it. Then I'd
apply the the doggy diapers, to prevent her from remarking the area.
then go a week or so, and see if this pattern breaks.
Old September 2nd 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On 30 Aug 2006 21:44:29 -0700, "Terri" wrote:

[...]

I had a dog who would wet her bed a lot but not the crate. Turns out
she had spay incontinence. The vet said it is easier for it to leak
out when they are on softer surfaces with give and easier to keep it
in if they can be on hard surfaces. She was on meds that helped
tremendously for years so she could have her soft beds urine free. I'd
have that checked out before working on a behavioral approach since if
it is spay incontinence, nothing behavioral will change it but it
might make her more stressed when she is already dealing with a lot of
transitions and new situations.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,