Introducing littermates after 5 years**HELP**

Old September 4th 06, 02:04 AM
Kerri Kerri is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Introducing littermates after 5 years**HELP**

Hello,

I am at a loss as to HOW or IF you can get 2 littermates (same sex) to get along after such a long time. Does anyone have any information? Let me give you a little background. My current dog Rusty was a stray that showed up on our doorstep approx.4 years ago Memorail Day. He was in real bad shape, and need alot of Medical attention, but after a good flea and tick dip from the Vet, and TPO surgery he is a good as new, and has been very happy living with us. For the longest time, I thought he was the only of his kind, he is a Chow mix, and very lovable. I recently saw another dog that looks EXACTLY like him and is about the same age up the street from my house. Today, I went by to see, and it was like they were showing me pictures of Rusty. (The dog was not there at the time) I was also made aware that they are moving away and cannot take this dog with them, and will have to call animal control if there is no-one to take this dog. This broke my heart, and I do not want this to happen. Is is possible to introduce 2 possible littermates and have them get along after 4 years? They are both male, but my Rusty has been neutered, and this one has not. If I do introduce them and they do get along, will this be only temporary? I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I do not want this dog to go to a shelter. If you have any suggestions, or comments I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kerri
Old September 5th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Kyler Laird

Default Introducing littermates after 5 years**HELP**

Kerri writes:

I am at a loss as to HOW or IF you can get 2 littermates (same sex) to
get along after such a long time.

Why would it be (especially) difficult for littermates who have been apart
to get along as adults? Do you have a reference?

We've considered similar situations but haven't had the opportunity.

I was also made aware that they are moving
away and cannot take this dog with them, and will have to call animal
control if there is no-one to take this dog.

Sounds like this dog has had a real winner of a home.

--kyler
Old September 6th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Cavaliers

Hello, back at you,
I don't think it makes a huge difference if the two dogs in question are
truly litter mates or not. This is conjecture isn't it? They won't know
they're litter mates after four years...dogs greet each other and take a
'position'.

What is the 'personality' or nature of Rusty - is he submissive or a
'leader'? Does he like to play with other people/dogs? Where does he
sleep? How do you treat him?

What is the nature of a chow - are they one person dogs? There might be an
issue if one dog is neutered and one isn't. Don't know about this. An
un-neutered dog may behave differently from a neutered dog. Two *dogs*'
may be a different situation from a dog and a bitch though. IMHO if these
two animals didn't tear each other to pieces during the first meeting they
might be all right.

Why not ask your vet, hope there's time before the people move out and do
something about this dog that you and all will regret.

Good luck,
Diana

--
Kerri