is it ok to sleep with dogs

Old September 3rd 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pig

Default is it ok to sleep with dogs

myself and my wife always sleep next to our dog, he has his own bed next to
ours which he sometimes uses, but often jumps under the covers of our bed
in the early morning for warmth. Is this normal? he's a very clean dog. how
many people here sleep with their dogs?

Sometimes i worry about him not getting enough oxygen under the blanket or
maybe one of us rolling over and squashing him. any thoughts?
Old September 3rd 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pig

"pfoley" wrote in
nk.net:

"pig" wrote in message
.228...
myself and my wife always sleep next to our dog, he has his own bed
next

ours which he sometimes uses, but often jumps under the covers of our
bed in the early morning for warmth. Is this normal? he's a very
clean dog.

how
many people here sleep with their dogs?

Sometimes i worry about him not getting enough oxygen under the
blanket or maybe one of us rolling over and squashing him. any
thoughts?

-----
I don't care how clean a dog is, I would never allow my dog to sleep
in my bed. Dogs should be treated as dogs. Dogs also carry fleas and
ticks, and who knows where they have walked.
I believe the dog should have its own bed; I also do not allow my dog
to sleep in my bedroom at night; I keep the dog's bed in another room
and she always sleeps in her own bed.

fair enough, but my dog is very clean, in fact some weeks im sure he
showers more than myself.. it could be a case of me getting the dog
dirty. he's not allowed outside very often and always washed if he does
go outside.
Old September 3rd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pig

(Melinda Shore) wrote in news:edfpjh$i92$1
@panix2.panix.com:

In article et,
pfoley wrote:
Dogs also carry fleas and ticks, and
who knows where they have walked.

I know where all of my dogs have walked. I also check them
over daily for things like burdocks, insects, and whatnot.
My dogs, with the exception of one who has a history of
fighting, sleep on my bed if they want, and I've never had
fleas or other insects (well, that's not true - a bunch of
years ago I had a flea infestation brought in by an adopted
cat). If you pay attention to your dogs you'll know where
they go and you'll know if they're carrying pests.

I think it's fine to let your dogs sleep on your bed,
assuming that there aren't behavioral problems that might be
exacerbated by giving him access to high-value (in the dog's
eyes) furniture.

yer, we always check out dog for insect and the like. one time an old
friend of mine invited himself to our house for a week or two. And the
****ing house stink for about 4 weeks! i swear, this guy is not homeless
or anything but i dont think he'd showered or brushed his teeth or
changed his clothes in at least a month.. nor while he was staying.

after getting this disrespectful person out of my house and life for
good, i dont feel too dirty sleeping with my dog.. not at all!
Old September 3rd 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pig

Shelly wrote in
:

Poor dog. I think it's very important for my dog to sleep with her pack
(that would be me).

indeed. some people would say i havent got control of my dog and that its
untrained, but this is clearly false. Admittadly he's spoilt, as all dogs
should be.. however iv known a few people who supposedly are experienced
dog people, and they treat their dogs rather creuly. Theyre dogs do what
theyre told out of fear, to me, thats not a well trained dog, they still
have problems barking obsessively and running away.

My dog is extremely intelligent and we have had no problem behaviors apart
from rough play, but i dont mind this. its a jack russell, so has to be
expected and dealt with. i never feel the need to hit him or treat him
roughly, i can control him with voice or command if necessary.
Old September 4th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pig

Shelly wrote in
:

When she does, she sleeps under the covers, but on top
of the sheet (I don't like getting poked with dog toe nails at night).
Even when her head is entirely under the blankets, she doesn't seem to
be bothered by the lack of fresh air.

ahh thats ok then. just an over worrying father i am

Old September 4th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article et,
pfoley wrote:
Dogs also carry fleas and ticks, and
who knows where they have walked.

I know where all of my dogs have walked. I also check them
over daily for things like burdocks, insects, and whatnot.
My dogs, with the exception of one who has a history of
fighting, sleep on my bed if they want, and I've never had
fleas or other insects (well, that's not true - a bunch of
years ago I had a flea infestation brought in by an adopted
cat). If you pay attention to your dogs you'll know where
they go and you'll know if they're carrying pests.

I think it's fine to let your dogs sleep on your bed,
assuming that there aren't behavioral problems that might be
exacerbated by giving him access to high-value (in the dog's
eyes) furniture.

Bad policies lead to bad results.
Old September 4th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 23:37:40 GMT, "pfoley" wrote:

I don't care how clean a dog is, I would never allow my dog to sleep in my
bed. Dogs should be treated as dogs. Dogs also carry fleas and ticks, and
who knows where they have walked.

Me. *I* know exactly where my dog has walked, thankyouverymuch. She
also does not have fleas, and I check her for ticks.

--
Shelly

A new gadget that lasts only five minutes is worth more than an immortal
work that bores everyone.
-- Francis Picabia
Old September 4th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 4 Sep 2006 09:28:54 +1100, pig wrote:

myself and my wife always sleep next to our dog, he has his own bed next to
ours which he sometimes uses, but often jumps under the covers of our bed
in the early morning for warmth. Is this normal? he's a very clean dog. how
many people here sleep with their dogs?

It's perfectly okay to let him sleep on your bed, as long as that's what
you want and he is well behaved. I would be careful to teach him to get
up and off when he's told, though, so that you have control of the
situation.

Sometimes i worry about him not getting enough oxygen under the blanket or
maybe one of us rolling over and squashing him. any thoughts?

My dog sleeps on my bed. She has a short, single coat, so she gets
chilly easily. When she does, she sleeps under the covers, but on top
of the sheet (I don't like getting poked with dog toe nails at night).
Even when her head is entirely under the blankets, she doesn't seem to
be bothered by the lack of fresh air.

--
Shelly

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily. "So it is." "And freezing."
"Is it?" "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a
little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."
-- A.A. Milne
Old September 4th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

On 4 Sep 2006 09:28:54 +1100, pig wrote:

myself and my wife always sleep next to our dog, he has his own bed next to
ours which he sometimes uses, but often jumps under the covers of our bed
in the early morning for warmth. Is this normal? he's a very clean dog. how
many people here sleep with their dogs?

Sometimes i worry about him not getting enough oxygen under the blanket or
maybe one of us rolling over and squashing him. any thoughts?

I don't let my dogs sleep in the bed with me because I don't sleep as
well with them taking up lots of room and moving around. My kids love
to have their dogs sleep in their beds with them. One likes to be
under the covers and the other does not. Both like to be snuggled up
close to their favorite people.

I think it's all personal choice unless there are specific dominance
issues or something. I think your arrangement is great because it
seems to work for you, your wife and your dog. It certainly is common
enough that you shouldn't worry about not being normal.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,