No Cesar Millan here

Old September 4th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default No Cesar Millan here

Hi Y'all,
Mary Healey recommended a book called
MINE
by Jean Donaldson
@ www.dogwise.com
I do not recall who she was replying to or why and I do not know what
thread it was. I thought it might be a book I would like to read. I
had never been to that website but I do know that Jean Donaldson is a
popular trainer/author.
I know how to teach basic obedience. I want books on behavioral
problems. The library and Barnes and Noble generally have books on Sit
and Stay or How to housebreak your puppy etc. nothing I am interested
in. While I was at the site I noticed they also have videos on dog .
training, very pricey (not for me)
I intend to order the book "Mine", does anyone else have any
suggestions from that web site on dog aggression?
Actually, I would be grateful for any book on that subject regardless of
the location. I was just trying to do that one stop shopping.
Thanks,

Be Free,
Judy

Old September 4th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

Judith Althouse wrote:

I intend to order the book "Mine", does anyone else have any
suggestions from that web site on dog aggression?
Actually, I would be grateful for any book on that subject regardless of
the location.

Not sure of the site you are on.

I am also interested in aggression. Jean Donaldson's
"Culture Clash" includes a discussion of triggers and
the bite threshold model, which I find useful.

Daniel Tortora's "Help, This Animal is Driving Me
Crazy" is out of print, but very informative. I didn't have
trouble finding a copy. I think I used Amazon's used
book service.

HTH,

Amy Dahl

Old September 4th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Amy,
Thank you I saw that book you mentioned on there too "Culture Clash"
by Jean Donaldson in addition to "Mine" by Jean Donaldson. When Mary
posted the site she just said @Dogwise? I had never heard of it, did a
search and found what looks to be a lot of interesting books. I am
going to get both.....The book called Mine is only 12,95.

Be Free,
Judy

Old September 4th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
[...]

James O'heare books are recommended.
http://www.dogpsych.com/
Alison

Old September 4th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread : "Alison"
whittled the following words:

[...]

Just for the record. I do NOT like Jean Donaldson. I have "The Culture
Clash" and had high expectations after reading all the hype about it.

I won't bother buying her other books. Then again, I don't have dogs with
aggression issues, either to people, or other dogs. And her referral to
dogs as "lemon heads" only told me, that her relationship with dogs is
superficial, and she doesn't either know them, or bother to develop a deep
understanding relationship with them. Which is understandable, since she
works in a shelter where dogs are transients, and problem dogs. No doubt
those dogs "are" lemon heads. I have a beagle that is one of those too.

I read her book with a chip on my shoulder, and I was incensed all the way
through. Then, I am a number of one. Because it seems everyone recommends
it.
Old September 4th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

diddy wrote:

Just for the record. I do NOT like Jean Donaldson. I have "The Culture
Clash" and had high expectations after reading all the hype about it.

I won't bother buying her other books. Then again, I don't have dogs with
aggression issues, either to people, or other dogs. And her referral to
dogs as "lemon heads" only told me, that her relationship with dogs is
superficial, and she doesn't either know them, or bother to develop a deep
understanding relationship with them. Which is understandable, since she
works in a shelter where dogs are transients, and problem dogs. No doubt
those dogs "are" lemon heads. I have a beagle that is one of those too.

I read her book with a chip on my shoulder, and I was incensed all the way
through. Then, I am a number of one. Because it seems everyone recommends
it.

When I first read "The Culture Clash" I thought it was great. When I
went to reread it a few years ago I saw a lot of the flaws in it. Such
as claiming to be very objective and scientific and then using totally
subjective language. And if I hear one more shiney, happy idjit refer
to dogs as "lemon brains" I may be sitting on death row.
As long as people don't take this book as the be all and end all of dog
training there are some good nuggets in there.
Beth

Old September 4th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 4 Sep 2006 08:48:33 -0700, "
, clicked their heels and said:

As long as people don't take this book as the be all and end all of dog
training there are some good nuggets in there.

I started to read it 8 years ago, and just couldn't get through it. Ok
- I was pretty sick at the time, so maybe I just couldn't concentrate
on anything, but still - I found it pretty unreadable. It's still here
- maybe I'll give it another go sometime.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 4th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

diddy wrote:

Just for the record. I do NOT like Jean Donaldson. I have "The Culture
Clash" and had high expectations after reading all the hype about it.

I won't bother buying her other books. Then again, I don't have dogs with
aggression issues, either to people, or other dogs. And her referral to
dogs as "lemon heads" only told me, that her relationship with dogs is
superficial, and she doesn't either know them, or bother to develop a deep
understanding relationship with them. Which is understandable, since she
works in a shelter where dogs are transients, and problem dogs. No doubt
those dogs "are" lemon heads. I have a beagle that is one of those too.

I read her book with a chip on my shoulder, and I was incensed all the way
through. Then, I am a number of one. Because it seems everyone recommends
it.

Donaldson has an abrasive style, to be sure. Not only that,
she dissed my profession (retriever training) through her
condemnation of force fetching.

I felt that the "lemon brain" business and some of the other
more-or-less offensive stuff was a deliberate attempt to shake
or prod the reader out of the assumption that dogs are humans
in little fur suits. She is angry, I think, because she sees the
common assumptions people make about dogs' understanding
things in human terms as the source of much unpleasantness
and unnecessary death.

I respect her point of view, and can deal with the style. Her
use of "install" where I would say "instill" is distracting, but
that's a minor point.

It's been awhile since I read it (I lent it to someone, but IIRC
her attitude towards her own dogs is not transparent).

I recommended the book specifically for the bite threshold
model, which I find useful in characterizing aggression. I don't
necessarily promote the whole book, although there's some other
interesting stuff, like the study of novice handlers working
experienced dogs, emphasizing the importance of feedback rate.

Now, I personally find that in dealing with my Chesapeakes, I
can't do without a certain amount of anthropomophism. At least,
the models I can find to describe, and formulate a response to,
certain behavior are based on analogies to human behavior
or thought constructs. Also I get a kick out of what I perceive
as dog's apparently _thinking_ while working, and really don't
desire to have it all reduced to Skinner. I suspect you and I are
similar in this.

But I didn't take Donaldson's diatribes personally; I just take or
leave what I find interesting, or not, in her book--and some things
in I find really worthwhile. The above, "dogs do what works,"
and "control what the dog wants, control the dog."

Amy Dahl