Why do dogs do this??

Old September 4th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
The Space Boss

Default Why do dogs do this??

I have a small female dog and when I put her outside to go to the
bathroom, she has to walk around... and around... and around... and
around... and around... in a counter clockwise circle until she can
find "just" the right spot to pee!!!!!

Why is this? Why doesn't she just pee if she has to go??

Old September 5th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small female dog and when I put her outside to go to the
bathroom, she has to walk around... and around... and around... and
around... and around... in a counter clockwise circle until she can
find "just" the right spot to pee!!!!!

Why is this? Why doesn't she just pee if she has to go??

====
My daughter's two male pugs do that also; I have no answer other than they
are just trying to find the perfect spot. They don't do it to pee, but to
poop.

Old September 6th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small female dog and when I put her outside to go to the
bathroom, she has to walk around... and around... and around... and
around... and around... in a counter clockwise circle until she can
find "just" the right spot to pee!!!!!

Why is this? Why doesn't she just pee if she has to go??

I have seen this behavior with dogs when they are about to lie down to
sleep. I heard that it was an instinct to create a flat area in tall grass.
I have seen areas that seemed to have been matted down like that by deer.

Paul

Old September 6th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kungo Bungo Ay

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small female dog and when I put her outside to go to the
bathroom, she has to walk around... and around... and around... and
around... and around... in a counter clockwise circle until she can
find "just" the right spot to pee!!!!!

Why is this? Why doesn't she just pee if she has to go??

I have seen this behavior with dogs when they are about to lie down to
sleep. I heard that it was an instinct to create a flat area in tall grass.
I have seen areas that seemed to have been matted down like that by deer.

Paul

i heard a nold tail that it is instinct to check the ground for snakes
or anything else before laying down but who knows if thats true

Old September 7th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 07:58:34 -0700, Debbie the Dogged
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
I have a small female dog and when I put her outside to go to the
bathroom, she has to walk around... and around... and around... and
around... and around... in a counter clockwise circle until she can
find "just" the right spot to pee!!!!!

Why is this? Why doesn't she just pee if she has to go??

Heh. My female chi mix does this also. I'd like to know too!

That's because you are only relieving yourself when you pee. She is
making a statement in pee-mail to all who come behind. I've noticed
that the little dogs seem to be much pickier than the big dogs at our
house. Maybe it's a doggie version of a Napoleon complex.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old September 7th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

The Space Boss wrote:
I have a small female dog and when I put her outside to go to the
bathroom, she has to walk around... and around... and around... and
around... and around... in a counter clockwise circle until she can
find "just" the right spot to pee!!!!!

Why is this? Why doesn't she just pee if she has to go??

You're lucky you don't have a German Shorthaired Pointer (as I did)
who would do this under the covers at the foot of the bed before
collapsing in a huff to go to sleep.

Old September 7th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jim Elbrecht

Paula wrote:
-snip-
That's because you are only relieving yourself when you pee. She is
making a statement in pee-mail to all who come behind.

Pee-mail is such a perfect word. My pug will let no pee-mail go
unanswered, even if he's 'out of ink'. A trip to the dog park or
walking path is an absolute 'mission' until all mail is answered.

that the little dogs seem to be much pickier than the big dogs at our
house. Maybe it's a doggie version of a Napoleon complex.

I've been thinking about Napoleon with my [first] pug. He not only
pees on every vertical surface [from clumps of taller grass to trees
to concrete] - after peeing he scratches the ground to show how big
he is. The more dogs in the area, the bigger the show.
There's a grown husky at the dog park that likes to mark, too. It's a
riot seeing him and the husky strut around and mark every surface they
can. They switch leads and empty bladders all over.

Having said that-- around our house he has his 'regular' spots. A
couple trees, a ladder, a cement mixer, lawnmower [if I've used it
that day], and 2 or 3 plants that I don't care much for anyway.

Oh-- and the pug that came with the fire hydrant that I got on ebay.
[He did the hydrant once, but it's easier to just pee on his 'little
brother'.]

Jim
Old September 7th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Debbie the Dogged

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 07:58:34 -0700, Debbie the Dogged
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
I have a small female dog and when I put her outside to go to the
bathroom, she has to walk around... and around... and around... and
around... and around... in a counter clockwise circle until she can
find "just" the right spot to pee!!!!!

Why is this? Why doesn't she just pee if she has to go??

Heh. My female chi mix does this also. I'd like to know too!

That's because you are only relieving yourself when you pee. She is
making a statement in pee-mail to all who come behind. I've noticed
that the little dogs seem to be much pickier than the big dogs at our
house. Maybe it's a doggie version of a Napoleon complex.

Heh. Then there's the whole hind-legs-kicking-at-the-ground-after-
peeing thing - I assume that's to spread the scent even further? My
alpha toy poodle does it, but my very submissive Chinese Crested just
started - does that mean she's starting to assert herself?
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
http://web.newsguy.com/debbiethedogged/
Old September 8th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 07:22:58 -0700, Debbie the Dogged
wrote:

That's because you are only relieving yourself when you pee. She is
making a statement in pee-mail to all who come behind. I've noticed
that the little dogs seem to be much pickier than the big dogs at our
house. Maybe it's a doggie version of a Napoleon complex.

Heh. Then there's the whole hind-legs-kicking-at-the-ground-after-
peeing thing - I assume that's to spread the scent even further? My
alpha toy poodle does it, but my very submissive Chinese Crested just
started - does that mean she's starting to assert herself?

I've noticed that submissive dogs can still be overmarkers, sometimes
worse than the dominant ones. My most submissive dog is also the one
most compulsive about going over every pee spot at potty time. But
always after the other dog has left completely. The dominant ones are
more likely to overmark when the other dog is still around to see them
do it. Maybe your Chinese Crested is saying that she is a member of
the household and belongs in the yard, too, even if she is not saying
that she is "more" entitled than the alpha poodle.

Our mini poodle does the hind leg kicking thing when he is trying to
get our GSD to wrestle with him, but not at pee time. I think he's a
great matador in his own little delusional mind.