Your favorite joint supplements?

Old September 9th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

Default Your favorite joint supplements?

Melanie L Chang wrote:

Solo had been on Pilgrim's Pride triple strength glucosamine/chondroitin
tabs for a few years. Recently, I switched him to SynoviG3 on the
recommendation of a bunch of working Border Collie folks but I can't tell
yet if it's any better than what he was on before. I've been looking
into other supplements, including chewables, granules, and liquids. I
remember Robin Nuttall being enthusiastic about GlycoFlex (unless my
memory is failing me).

I do like the Glycoflex 3. But the latest thing I've been giving that
I'm thrilled about is a supplement called Dog Gone Pain (DGP).

Viva's spondylosis has progressed. She seems to have a spur that is near
the point of her right hip. So sitting is sometimes painful and she
doesn't put as much weight on her right hind leg as her left. And she
has arthritis in her feet and now, I think, starting in her wrists. Her
left front leg, where she had the tendon removed several years ago, is
often pretty painful.

A few months ago I tried DGP. I was absolutely floored by the results I
got. I went from a dog who was sort of hobbling around but generally
pretty good natured about it, to a dog who moved evenly and fluidly, and
who started playing harder, running far more often and for longer
distances, and interacting more with me and with Zipper my new Min Pin
puppy.

When I showed the DGP to my acupuncturist she said the "money"
ingredient was Boswellia. There were a couple of other ingredients she
didn't care as much for, so I moved Viva to Boswellia only. Within a
couple of months she was back to being lame, sore, and having
difficulty. She was ignoring Zipper and not able to run much. I put her
back on DGP last week and again the difference has been astounding. Last
month I finished her Open Tunnelers title in NADAC, but in a time that
wouldn't qualify her for Elite Tunnelers. I had to pull her from
Jumpers--she just couldn't do it even at 16". I'm now pretty confident
that she can go on to Elite Tunnelers (requires 5+ yps) and maybe even
finish her Outstanding Elite Jumpers title. And no, I really don't care
about the titles, I care about how she lights up like a candle when she
gets to run agility.

DGP is available at http://www.doggonepain.com. I have no financial
interest in the company whatsoever.
Old September 9th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

Melanie L Chang wrote:

I will probably also try the Glyco-Flex and Liquid Health if I don't see
better results from SynoviG3.

John Sherman uses and recommends Synovi G3.

Amy Dahl

Old September 11th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Melanie L Chang wrote:

Robin Nuttall ) wrote:

: A few months ago I tried DGP. I was absolutely floored by the results I
: got. I went from a dog who was sort of hobbling around but generally
: pretty good natured about it, to a dog who moved evenly and fluidly, and
: who started playing harder, running far more often and for longer
: distances, and interacting more with me and with Zipper my new Min Pin
: puppy.

Hi Robin -- glad to hear Viva is doing well. DGP is available through
the raw feeding co-op here (I have not "gone raw" but I order body parts
from them for dog snacks/mini-meals) so Solo and I can easily give it a
try.

I will probably also try the Glyco-Flex and Liquid Health if I don't see
better results from SynoviG3.

In the meantime I'm increasing Solo's on-lead exercise to build up muscle
in his right hind and support that joint. Ball playing is unfortunately
curtailed for now.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm really sorry to hear about Solo's hip. I know three male BCs,
litter mates, belonging to three separate households. One has healthy
hips, the other two were catastrophically bilaterally dysplastic.

The two dysplastic brothers were about as far about as possible,
temperament-wise. One was a sweet-tempered, easy-going boy, the other a
mass of conflicting impulses and neuroses. A "Rain Man", a terrible
prospect as a PT and rehab patient.

Both underwent bilateral hip replacement and extensive physical therapy
and rehab. And after a year each was examined and declared fit with no
restrictions whatsoever on activity. Agility, flyball, anything they
wanted to do. The common denominator was incredibly devoted handlers (a
physical therapist and a learning disabilities teacher), willing to
personally do the work needed to bring them back. So don't
automatically write off surgery as an option.

Meanwhile, I would do anything I could to delay the need for surgery.
Supplements, exercise, massage, chiropractic treatment, accupuncture.
Technology advances and who knows what will be available 6 or 12 months
down the road.

For an otherwise healthy dog of no more than middle age I'd probably
draw the line at daily doses of prescription strength
anti-inflamatories. At that point I'd consider surgery.

Do you have access to any warm water swimming facilities nearby?

Kathleen