Dog nails too long

Old September 11th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Dog nails too long

My 1 year old Manchester Terrier toy nails grow too much !!
We have to cut his nails once every week, and it seems it's still not
enough.
I use a Dremel to trim the nails, and I stop when a drop of blood
appears. So i know they are short when i'm done. But a few days after
(2-3 days) we can hear to dog's nails tic-tic-ticing on the floor. I
Dremel the bottom of the nail each time, so that it's as straight as
possible. Is it normal that i'd have to do the nails every 2nd day ? My
breeder is formally against sedating the dog to have the nails clipped,
because this particular breed is sensitive to anaesthesia. When we
brought him the dog to revisit him, he did cut the nails back, but the
dog was bleeding a lot (thank god for Kwik Stop!), and even after the
visit, we were doing the Dremel EVERY week, but they eventually got
longer and longer again. Please, any constructive suggestions would be
appreciated...

Old September 12th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 10 Sep 2006 18:45:41 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Damn, aren't you a sick individual! But I like the way you think! Heck,
if your pet were a cat, instead of an innocent toy dog, we might even be
friends!

Since you choose to do this to a dog, here is what I suggest. Dremel
your own 10 nails until "a drop of blood appears," and repeat the
procedure every "(2-3 days)". Now, this won't make your powder puff of a
dog any quieter, but it will divert your attention. Oh, and remember to
"(thank god for Kwik Stop!)"

I was just thinking: your dog poops and pees, too. Do you have a problem
with that? If so, I recommend applying super glue to the offending
orifices, And suspending food and water.

Actually, maybe a stuffed toy dog would be best for you. They don't
poop, pee, bark, need a vet, hump your leg; and they don't make any
noise at all.

I like certain cat noises, but if you ever have trouble with a noisy
cat, let me know. I have some suggestions that will curl your hair, LOL
their hair, too!

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old September 12th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Michael A. Ball wrote:

[...]

I asked for constructive recommandations. So what's your ?

Old September 12th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 12 Sep 2006 05:47:53 -0700, "
wrote:

I asked for constructive recommandations. So what's your ?

Stop that god damned dog abuse and buy a stuffed dog that makes no
noise.

_______________________
"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
Old September 13th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

He gave you advice you are taking the dogs nails down too damned much. When
you see blood you are hurting the dog.

Stop before you get to this point. And yes I agree you shouldn't have a
damned dog.

You should only ever have to trim a dogs nails about once a month and thats
even pushing it for some dogs.

Celeste

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old September 13th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Spot" wrote in message:

You should only ever have to trim a dogs nails about once a month and

thats
even pushing it for some dogs.

This really, really depends on the dog. If I let Pan's nails go for a
month, I would have a nightmare on my hands. At absolute worst, I have to
do her nails once every two weeks. Really, she should be dremeled daily (I
was for a time being and gave up for the sake of my blood pressure). As it
is, I do her nails once a week. Khan goes about 2 weeks between trimming,
and that's pretty much all he needs.

My dogs get a lot of exercise, but most of it is not on hard surfaces, so
they don't wear their nails down naturally.

Suja

Old September 13th 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ZNINg.2141$yc4.1092@trndny01, Spot wrote:
You should only ever have to trim a dogs nails about once a month and thats
even pushing it for some dogs.

There are dogs whose quicks extend so far out into the nail
that it's basically impossible to trim them what most people
would consider short enough, and it's likely that the
original poster has one of those dogs. I agree he needs to
stop cutting his dog's nails so short they bleed. He can,
however, get more off without hurting the dog by trimming at
an angle on the sides. It's a little hard to describe.

Old September 13th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Spot wrote:
He gave you advice you are taking the dogs nails down too damned much. When
you see blood you are hurting the dog.

If the dog isn't complaining, then I wouldn't necessarily assume
that it is being hurt.

You should only ever have to trim a dogs nails about once a month and thats
even pushing it for some dogs.

That is incorrect. Some dogs need frequent nail trimming, others do
not. My dog usually gets weekly nail trims, but could do with
2x/week for some of her nails. If I trimmed them once a month or
less, her nails would quickly become painfully long.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 13th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Melinda Shore wrote:

He can,
however, get more off without hurting the dog by trimming at
an angle on the sides. It's a little hard to describe.

That is what I do with Harriet's nails. I cut them as far back as I
can (luckily, she has white nails, so the quick is easy to see when
back lit). Then, I shave and shape the nail, then I file it with a
rough emery board. It's sort of a lengthy process, but that's why
TeeVee was invented.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 13th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Michael A. Ball wrote:
On 12 Sep 2006 05:47:53 -0700, "
wrote:

I asked for constructive recommandations. So what's your ?

Stop that god damned dog abuse and buy a stuffed dog that makes no
noise.

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Please stop replying in this topic. You obvioulsy don't know anything
about dog nails.

rec.pets.dogs: Klee Kai Breed-FAQ Carroll Parkison Dog info 0 February 18th 06 05:26 AM
rec.pets.dogs: German Shepherd Dogs Breed-FAQ Holly Dog info 0 February 18th 06 05:25 AM
Hydroxyzine safe for long term use? Mary W. Dog health 1 January 28th 05 12:54 AM
Clipping nails Pam Dog behavior 22 December 5th 04 08:04 PM
Breed Recommendations for Newbies (long) Leah Dog behavior 0 November 16th 04 07:05 PM