FWIW, food decision decided

Old September 12th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default FWIW, food decision decided

After talking it over with the vet, we agree that the dogs should stay
on California Natural Lamb and Rice. She wanted to try the Sensitive
Stomach to clear up the diarrhea and keep it from coming back. However,
since Maui is doing well on Cal Nat and Cali's mucus diarrhea has not
returned since going back on Cal Nat (after the bland diet of hamburger/rice
to clean up the diarrhea), she agrees with the decision to stay on Cal Nat.
The vet was glad to hear that Cali is doing well and the ears have cleaned
up with the meds she prescribed (which were for ear mites, though none were
ever found). The only food change is for Maui to lose some weight, so he is
getting less Cal Nat than before. And to keep him from starving, he's
getting some green beans mixed in. Cali, on the other hand, needs to gain
some weight, but the vet didn't have any suggestions except to get her to
eat more Cal Nat than she currently does. I will start offering her more,
but she never empties her bowl now so I am not sure that will do it.
Anyway, the vet wants me to try that first before talking about other weight
gaining tactics so I agreed to give it a shot. Anyway, I just thought I'd
post the follow up in case anyone cared to know how it was resolved. So,
thanks again to everyone who offered helpful comments/advice! I will try
not to be such a trouble maker in the future, as long as it doesn't
interfere with me providing my dogs the best care I can (of course).

~~~~~
Jenny, Maui and Cali

Old September 12th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Cali, on the other hand, needs to gain some weight, but the
vet didn't have any suggestions except to get her to eat
more Cal Nat than she currently does. I will start offering
her more, but she never empties her bowl now so I am not
sure that will do it.

Sometimes something as simple as moistening the food makes it
more exciting.

Old September 12th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
After talking it over with the vet, we agree that the dogs should stay
on California Natural Lamb and Rice. She wanted to try the Sensitive
Stomach to clear up the diarrhea and keep it from coming back. However,
since Maui is doing well on Cal Nat and Cali's mucus diarrhea has not
returned since going back on Cal Nat

..........I'm glad she listened to you. The problem with the availability of
Sensitive Stomach diet types is that vets want to try them at the drop of a
hat, when they're sometimes really not appropriate and don't address the
issue. Have you ever had the mucusy poop looked at for Giardia? Then again
if the dog has been eating plastic toys, it's no wonder the poop is funny.

the ears have cleaned
up with the meds she prescribed (which were for ear mites, though none

were
ever found).

.......what was the med out of curiosity?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 12th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:26:19 -0400, "MauiJNP" wrote:

[...]

You're not a trouble-maker. You're a relatively inexperienced owner
who is trying to learn so as to make the best possible decisions for
the dogs you love. There is nothing wrong with researching foods,
questioning vets, asking questions on newsgroups, etc. People who
criticize you for that are trouble-makers (or something).

Mustang Sally

Old September 13th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

the ears have cleaned
up with the meds she prescribed (which were for ear mites, though none

were
ever found).

......what was the med out of curiosity?

Revolution and Tresaderm

Old September 13th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
Revolution and Tresaderm

............Although not labeled for mites, Tresaderm seems to do the job.
It is actually labeled for both bacterial and fungal infections, so at this
point, if you didn't see mites, it could still be the other two. It also
has a bit of steroid in it to stop inflammation.

Old September 13th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Revolution and Tresaderm

...........Although not labeled for mites, Tresaderm seems to do the job.

Yeah, that's what the vet said too. She told me that the meds she was
giving me where not for mites but it usually does the job anyway.

It is actually labeled for both bacterial and fungal infections, so at
this
point, if you didn't see mites, it could still be the other two. It also
has a bit of steroid in it to stop inflammation.

Whatever the problem was, I am glad to report it is gone, hopefully forever.