Dog food selections

Old September 12th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Dog food selections

I've been giving my dog Purina One Natural Blends, and my 1.5 year old
beagle mix ("Tucker") seems to really like it. His coat is healthy and
shiny, and Purina says that since Purina One is nutritionally complete,
supplements aren't necessary.

That being said, there are times I'd like to give him a little extra
for his meal. I've heard dogs like pumpkin (no sugar, no spices, just
plain canned pumpkin), and that it is okay to add a tablespoon of
canned pumpkin to his meal. I have seen that Iams makes a dog food
sauce that looks pretty interesting. One of my co-workers recommends a
can of dog meat as a special treat since dogs are carnivore by nature.

I'd like to find a healthy special treat to add to Tucker's dog food.
What do y'all recommend or what do you do for your dogs? In the end, I
want to keep Tucker healthy, so any special treat needs to be
nutritious and help him maintain a long life.

Thanks,
--Peter

Old September 12th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

I was talking to a co-worker who has owned many pets, and he came up
with some good points:

If your dog eats his dog food on his own, then don't add stuff to it.
He will come to expect it.

Andy said that his had a dog that used to eat just dry food. Then, his
folks added some wet food to the dry food. Now, the dog expects a
combination of both. And that the Iams sauce is primarily used for
finicky eaters.

All this makes sense. So, it will be just dry kibble without any
additives. For biscuits, I'll keep with the Purina One biscuits. And
now that Milkbone has a "lite" version, I may try those, too.

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

I am not a nutritionist, but what I occasionally give Moogli as treats:

Cheese
Eggs
Bits of Steak (or pork or chicken)
A little bit of hot water to his food.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Old September 12th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

wrote in message:

If your dog eats his dog food on his own, then don't add stuff to it.
He will come to expect it.

That would depend very much on the dog. Some dogs become finicky as a
result, others don't. My dogs get plain dog food in the morning (moistened
+ supplements). They usually get a little extra in the evenings - a little
wet food, freeze dried raw, leftover meat/veggies, yogurt, cottage cheese,
etc. Around here, any dog that holds up for doctored food would just be a
very hungry dog until the next mealtime arrives, and it would arrive with no
accoutrements. The arrival of both breakfast and dinner are much celebrated
events at this household.

Suja

Old September 12th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd like to find a healthy special treat to add to Tucker's dog food.
What do y'all recommend or what do you do for your dogs? In the end, I
want to keep Tucker healthy, so any special treat needs to be
nutritious and help him maintain a long life.

..........sardines packed in water, eggs, yogurt.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 13th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Puddin' Man

On 12 Sep 2006 20:10:55 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
wrote:

wrote in news:1158091224.994157.257760
:
Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

I am not a nutritionist, but what I occasionally give Moogli as treats:

Cheese
Eggs
Bits of Steak (or pork or chicken)
A little bit of hot water to his food.

I was talking to a co-worker who has owned many pets, and he came up
with some good points:

If your dog eats his dog food on his own, then don't add stuff to it.
He will come to expect it.

If it is always there, he may. But yuou mentioned treats. To me, a treat is
something you give occasionally, not all of the time.

For myself and my Crazy Birddawg, treats are exclusive of regular
meals (dry Eukanuba). Every evening, as treats, CB gets:

1 rawhide strip
1 tiny, tiny piece of a Slim Jim.
2 baby carrots

All vet approved. I've heard one can treat all manner of carrots
without affecting weight, etc. CB loves 'em.

Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.
Old September 13th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On 12 Sep 2006 11:38:49 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't add anything to his food like the sauces or canned food as
he might start expecting it and not eating the kibble without it. I
feed my dogs kibble alone at meals. For treats, they get liver treats
(for training) and they get to lick dinner plates when there isn't
anything on there that could hurt them. There absolute favorite
treat, though, is marrow bones. I buy them at the grocery store and
they go crazy for them. They are good for them, as well.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old September 13th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
probe1957

Personally, I wouldn't feed my dog anything that says "Purina" on the label.
There are FAR better foods, many for less money.