Adventures in House-hunting

Old September 13th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Adventures in House-hunting

(I'm not going to wait for someone to start a thread on my
house-hunting adventures.)

I've been toying with the idea of moving for the past year or so. I
love the area I'm in, but the commute is getting to be a little
much. Also, I'm tired of not having reasonable phone service and no
access to broadband and cable. "Toying with" has recently become
"Must move ASAP or I'll lose my mind."

So, I've been house hunting. House hunting in a college town is,
um, interesting. I was expecting that. The problem was balancing
what I need for my dog and what I need for myself. I just wasn't
finding what *I* need in any of the houses I looked at. I *did*
find what I need in an apartment, though. The only down-side is
that there's no fenced yard, but that's not really a big deal as far
as I'm concerned. Harriet and I will just spend more time walking.
It's on the ground floor, with a large patio that opens onto a
huge, tree-lined field. Harriet and I will have plenty of room to
play, and she'll be able to sunbathe on the patio. Plus, sliding
glass door=big-screen dog teevee. Any bets on how long before it's
coated with pupkis?

I'm also happy to report that there is no shortage of pet-friendly
housing here. The folks I'm renting from have no number, size, or
breed restrictions. The same was true of pretty much every property
management company I contacted (*one* had breed restrictions, to
which I said Thanksandgoodbye). This was *not* my experience when I
was in college. While there were a few individual du- and
tri-plexes that allowed dogs, none of the apartment complexes did.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 13th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:23:52 -0400, shelly ,
clicked their heels and said:

Plus, sliding
glass door=big-screen dog teevee. Any bets on how long before it's
coated with pupkis?

2 seconds. At least that's what the time is for my glass doors (3
sets of them in different parts of the house!).

--
Janet Boss
Old September 13th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet B wrote:

2 seconds. At least that's what the time is for my glass doors (3
sets of them in different parts of the house!).

Two seconds sounds about right. She's not a drooly dog, but day-um,
does she spread the pupkis around!

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 13th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

shelly wrote in :

It's on the ground floor, with a large patio that opens onto a
huge, tree-lined field. Harriet and I will have plenty of room to
play, and she'll be able to sunbathe on the patio. Plus, sliding
glass door=big-screen dog teevee. Any bets on how long before it's
coated with pupkis?

It sounds great! Congratulations! I hope you love it there.

You're right about the window. My house has 2 sliding doors facing front,
and one facing the back, and the dogs love them. If I ever moved again, I
would have to take into account window arrangements -- which is not
something I had thought of before wrt the animals (but I like a lot of
windows and light myself).

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old September 13th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote:

It sounds great! Congratulations! I hope you love it there.

Thanks. It'll be an interesting change, for sure. When I went to
look at it, I had a weird (but not at all unpleasant) college
nostalgia. This place is much quieter than the apartments I lived
in during college, though.

You're right about the window. My house has 2 sliding doors facing front,
and one facing the back, and the dogs love them. If I ever moved again, I
would have to take into account window arrangements -- which is not
something I had thought of before wrt the animals (but I like a lot of
windows and light myself).

When I got Harriet, I lived in a big Victorian house, with almost
floor-to-ceiling windows. The dogs *loved* looking out the windows.
It's something I didn't take into consideration when I moved here,
and I've regretted it. I leave the front door open as much as
possible, so that Harriet can sit and watch out the storm door, but
it's not a perfect solution.

In fact:
http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-861

I think Miss NoseyPants will be very happy with the new place.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 13th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Toni

"shelly" wrote in message
Plus, sliding glass door=big-screen dog teevee. Any bets on how long
before it's coated with pupkis?

Look on the bright side- if the doors get smeared up enough you won't need
bumper stickers for any doofus dogs.

Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old September 13th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

shelly wrote in :

In fact:
http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-861

I think Miss NoseyPants will be very happy with the new place.

It's good to be able to keep an eye on things, and think deep thoughts
about whatever's going on. Great picture!

Old September 13th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote:

It's good to be able to keep an eye on things, and think deep thoughts
about whatever's going on. Great picture!

Thanks! She'll sit like that for ages, perfectly still, just
watching the world. She also does that sitting in the corner of the
front deck, like she's contentedly surveying her domain. It's times
like that that I'd *really* like to know what's going on in her
little head.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 13th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

shelly wrote:

In fact:
http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-861

What a GREAT photo!

I think Miss NoseyPants will be very happy with the new place.

Bet she will!

FurPaw

Old September 14th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Hi Shelly,
Just what exactly was Ms Brown contemplating? She looked deep in
thought. Your new place sounds lovely.
I just had another thought, cable ready and less miles commuting adds
up to, you will be able to see Cesar whenever you want to. I am sorry.
I just coudn't resist. Hey, you just might do it, ya never know
There is other stuff on cable besides Cesar..

Be Free,
Judy