Trimming nails and blood

Old September 13th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Toni

Default Trimming nails and blood

Not in response to any one person:

It's a little strange to me that so much fuss is being made about the
appearance of a drop of blood in conjunction with nail trimming.

Those of you who regularly trim the nails of one, two etc. dogs may not
realize it but dogs responses to having the quick nicked varies
tremendously. Some dogs act as if they are being tortured if you even
attempt a nail trim, while others will nearly sleep through even the most
aggressive cutting back.
And everything in between. I have dogs who literally don't even move a
muscle no matter how short you trim- they just about hold their feet up for
me.

In a perfect world no blood would ever appear through nail trimming. But
ours is not a perfect world and sometimes quicks are nicked- sometimes
accidentally and other times in an attempt to get the length of neglected
nails down to a healthy spot for the good of the dogs feet.

Anyone who has ever seen an old dog mincing around on broken down feet can
understand that letting nails go can indeed result in permanent and painful
consequences. Sometimes just fixing the problem for the good of the dog is
worth the two minutes of discomfort a bleedy nail might cause. Even in the
worst, most remedial situation it is over immediately and dogs are known
above all else for their ability to move on.

And some dogs could care less anyway.

Long quicks, high blood pressure, ingrown dewclaws, misshapen and deformed
nails, von Willebrands, and any number of prescribed medications can cause
bleeding at the drop of a hat as well. A millimeter off in your judgment or
the dogs wiggling is all it takes in these cases.
Don't vilify a person for drawing blood while trimming nails.

Regular frequent trimming or use of a dremel is your best bet to keeping
things healthy. But such strenuous objection to a molecule of blood is over
reacting in the extreme IMO.

I certainly don't profess to be some all knowing dog expert, but I have a
fair bit of experience after 34+ years and an estimated trimming of over
70,000 *sets* of nails in my career as a groomer.

Blood happens. It is in no way catastrophic.

--
Toni Carroll
South Florida USA

Old September 14th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon

It's a little strange to me that so much fuss is being made about the
appearance of a drop of blood in conjunction with nail trimming.

In a perfect world no blood would ever appear through nail trimming. But
ours is not a perfect world and sometimes quicks are nicked- sometimes
accidentally and other times in an attempt to get the length of neglected
nails down to a healthy spot for the good of the dogs feet.

There is a difference between accidently nicking the quick and routingely
trimming the nail *until* blood is drawn. Why does your dog sit still even
with blood? Dogs are loyal to a fault and mask pain. Dogs will run miles in
hundred degree heat just to be with their master, and then just drop dead of
heat stroke. We see it every year. If I'm not mistaken, the negative
opinions from the previous thread had to do with the practice of trimming
down until the quick is injured and blood is drawn. I've never hear of a
professional doing this and intentional injury is certainly not tolerated at
our practice.

-Sharon

Old September 14th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Toni

"Sharon" wrote in message
There is a difference between accidently nicking the quick and routingely
trimming the nail *until* blood is drawn. Why does your dog sit still even
with blood? Dogs are loyal to a fault and mask pain. Dogs will run miles
in hundred degree heat just to be with their master, and then just drop
dead of heat stroke. We see it every year.

These are not my own dogs, they are client dogs who don't always know me
from a stranger. Some dogs just do not care. Why would I make this up?

If I'm not mistaken, the negative opinions from the previous thread had to
do with the practice of trimming down until the quick is injured and blood
is drawn.

Not really. There was a fair bit of hysterical "I never heard of anyone
cutting so short that it draws blood" which simply says someone is naive.

I've never hear of a professional doing this and intentional injury is
certainly not tolerated at our practice.

Then you certainly haven't heard very much. Been in dogs long?

Our shop sees ±75 dogs a day and I'd bet a few bleed. You simply cannot get
them "as short as possible" (the #1 client request) without getting the
occasional red spot. And yes- if I see a dog that gets attention only once a
year I am damn sure going to make sure the service lasts.

It simply is not the catastrophe some seem to think.
No more so than a barber nicking a zit while shaving someone.

Old September 14th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon

These are not my own dogs, they are client dogs who don't always know me
from a stranger. Some dogs just do not care. Why would I make this up?

Didn't say you did. But doing it on purpose opens up an avenue of infection
and does cause pain. You can say it doesn't but I haven't seen a quick
clipped where a dog hasn't reacted in pain.

Not really. There was a fair bit of hysterical "I never heard of anyone
cutting so short that it draws blood" which simply says someone is naive.

Fair enough.

I've never heard of a professional doing this and intentional injury is
certainly not tolerated at our practice.

Then you certainly haven't heard very much. Been in dogs long?

We've owned our own animal hospital for seceral years. So, yes.

Our shop sees ±75 dogs a day and I'd bet a few bleed. You simply cannot
get them "as short as possible" (the #1 client request) without getting
the occasional red spot. And yes- if I see a dog that gets attention only
once a year I am damn sure going to make sure the service lasts.

My beef is with those who do this on purpose. Go back and you'll see that I
did say that it happens acidently.

It simply is not the catastrophe some seem to think.
No more so than a barber nicking a zit while shaving someone.

Accidently yes. But not done on purpose.

Old September 14th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Toni

"Sharon" wrote in message
It simply is not the catastrophe some seem to think.
No more so than a barber nicking a zit while shaving someone.

Accidently yes. But not done on purpose.

I'm not interested in a protracted discourse, really g.
We just disagree, as I think there are situations where the benefits
outweigh the risks.

Old September 14th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

=
Naivety and hysteria you may call it, but I would never want someone who
thinks that it is nothing to trim my dog's nails to the quick and draw
blood, and then pay them to do it, trim my dog's nails. That is one of the
reasons I pay a professional groomer to trim the nails, or have a vet
assistant do it, because I don't want that to happen.
-------

Old September 14th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

pfoley wrote:

Naivety and hysteria you may call it, but I would never want someone who
thinks that it is nothing to trim my dog's nails to the quick and draw
blood, and then pay them to do it, trim my dog's nails. That is one of the
reasons I pay a professional groomer to trim the nails, or have a vet
assistant do it, because I don't want that to happen.

I have news for you. If you take your dog to a groomer for a nail
trim, and do it only twice a year, then it is not entirely unlikely
that the groomer is having to cut the nails past the quick.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 14th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"shelly" wrote in message
pfoley wrote:

Naivety and hysteria you may call it, but I would never want someone who
thinks that it is nothing to trim my dog's nails to the quick and draw
blood, and then pay them to do it, trim my dog's nails. That is one of

the
reasons I pay a professional groomer to trim the nails, or have a vet
assistant do it, because I don't want that to happen.

I have news for you. If you take your dog to a groomer for a nail
trim, and do it only twice a year, then it is not entirely unlikely
that the groomer is having to cut the nails past the quick.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

Don't believe so, dog shows no pain or bleeding; I am with the vet if she
does it; groomer goes over the grooming and nail cutting procedures she
performed and if there were any problems with the nails.

Old September 14th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

pfoley wrote:

Don't believe so, dog shows no pain

Neither does the OP's dog, funnily enough!

or bleeding;

A small drop of blood, such as the OP described, might not be
noticed, especially on black nails.

I am with the vet if she
does it; groomer goes over the grooming and nail cutting procedures she
performed and if there were any problems with the nails.

What if the groomer does not consider it a "problem"?

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 14th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Toni

"pfoley" wrote in message news:wrdOg.11943 =
Naivety and hysteria you may call it, but I would never want someone who
thinks that it is nothing to trim my dog's nails to the quick and draw
blood, and then pay them to do it, trim my dog's nails. That is one of
the
reasons I pay a professional groomer to trim the nails, or have a vet
assistant do it, because I don't want that to happen.

You'd never even know if it did, and trust me- it *has*.
It's such a non-issue it's not worth mentioning.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Dog nails too long [email protected] Dog health 55 September 14th 06 05:00 PM
rec.pets.dogs: Pembroke Welsh Corgis Breed-FAQ Perrine Crampton Dog info 0 May 21st 06 05:22 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Pembroke Welsh Corgis Breed-FAQ Perrine Crampton Dog info 0 February 18th 06 05:26 AM
Clipping nails Pam Dog behavior 22 December 5th 04 08:04 PM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 03:38 AM