Puppy nipping hands

Old September 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Pnda410

Default Puppy nipping hands

Hi there,
I am a new dog owner. I recently adopted a mini dachshund, he's 11
weeks old today and ADORABLE! He's really a very good puppy, however,
when we're playing with him he often starts to bite at our hands, feet,
arms, and clothing. I realize mouthing is normal for puppies, but he
is starting to bite down too hard (it hurts!). I've tried some things
I've read about: yelping like a puppy so he knows it hurts, walking
away and ignoring him for a bit (ending the playing), but he seems to
just get more and more excited. Eventually, to calm him down, we put
him in his crate. But last night he was a maniac everytime we took him
out of the crate, probably because he'd been in there too long. What
can I do to get his attention and make him realize biting people and
clothing is not acceptable behavior?

I do have us signed up for a puppy class beginning next week so
hopefully that'll help. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Old September 14th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 14 Sep 2006 05:36:03 -0700, "Pnda410" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Hi there,
I am a new dog owner. I recently adopted a mini dachshund, he's 11
weeks old today and ADORABLE! He's really a very good puppy, however,
when we're playing with him he often starts to bite at our hands, feet,
arms, and clothing. I realize mouthing is normal for puppies, but he
is starting to bite down too hard (it hurts!).

Congratulations on your new addition! Yep, puppies want to use their
teeth. Channeling that an curbing it in our mode of play is
necessary.

I've tried some things
I've read about: yelping like a puppy so he knows it hurts, walking
away and ignoring him for a bit (ending the playing), but he seems to
just get more and more excited.

I've never liked the yelping thing. I growl. I think it's important
to not pull away, but teach the puppy to back off instead. I also
don't work on that only when the puppy is riled up. Spend some time
every day, doing calm, relaxing restraint and inspection - look at
ears, feet, skin, teeth. Get the pup used to your hands being gentle
things that aren't inciting mouthiness.

Eventually, to calm him down, we put
him in his crate. But last night he was a maniac everytime we took him
out of the crate, probably because he'd been in there too long.

I'll use a crate as a 3 strikes and you must need a nap kind of thing.
Generally, they do, and fall asleep. It may be he's not in there LONG
enough - a lot of bitey behavior is usually a good indication that he
is just overstimulated.

What
can I do to get his attention and make him realize biting people and
clothing is not acceptable behavior?

Be careful how you play with him. A toy should be involved, not your
hands. Focused play (go get your toy and bring it back) is ideal.
Tires him out, he's doing something for you, his mouth is occupied -
all good things. Redirecting him to his toy when he wants to use his
mouth, is a good idea as well. Don't hand it to him - help him choose
it.

I do have us signed up for a puppy class beginning next week so
hopefully that'll help. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Puppy class is excellent. You should be able to get a lot of in
person guidance and your puppy will be tired afterwards as well - a
bonus!

--
Janet Boss
Old September 14th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kungo Bungo Ay

Pnda410 wrote:
[...]

congrats on the pup, i just got one to she's 10 weeks and shes great,
one question i do have b/c i want to take her to puppy classes but i am
waiting till she is fully vaccinated before beringing her aournd other
dogs... will your dog be fully vaccinated at 12 weeks? my shots were at
8 weeks, the next at 11, then the third at 14.. let me know what you
did, and good luck with the biting thing

Old September 14th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
WienerDog

On 14 Sep 2006 05:36:03 -0700, "Pnda410" wrote:

Hi there,
I am a new dog owner. I recently adopted a mini dachshund, he's 11
weeks old today and ADORABLE! He's really a very good puppy, however,
when we're playing with him he often starts to bite at our hands, feet,
arms, and clothing. I realize mouthing is normal for puppies, but he
is starting to bite down too hard (it hurts!).

Hello Pnda410,

It is great to hear that you got a mini dachshund for a furry family
member. Is your dog a shorthaired or a longhaired and what color?

Here is a number of sites on dachshund information:

http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/ - Dachshund Network
http://www.dachshund-dca.org/ - Dachshund Club of America
http://www.akc.org/breeds/dachshund/index.cfm - American Kennel Club
http://www.dachshund.org/ - Dachshund.org - Dachshund Magazine
Online
http://bajaokla.com/dachback/ - Dachshund Back Digest - Important
Reading!!!!!

Also, hope you like this:

http://www.doxidelight.com/ - store that sells stuff for Dachshunds
and their owners.

Good luck with your new mini dachshund! Be very gentle with him.

WienerDog