Many, many photos of Solo (and Fly, but mostly Solo)

Old September 15th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

Default Many, many photos of Solo (and Fly, but mostly Solo)

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
AMB ) wrote:

Now is when I 'fess up -- although Skeeter was present on that day, he no
longer lives with me and the Border Collies. Skeeter is what some people
might call a very jealous dog, although what he actually does is guard
resources. One of the resources that he guards is people, and in my
household, that meant he was very possessive of my time and attention. I
try to treat my dogs equally, but there are some natural dynamics in my
household that were problematic for Skeeter -- namely, that Solo gets
attention too (and probably also the undercurrent, which is impossible to
hide, that Solo is my favorite dog). Over the past year, Skeeter
increasingly challenged Solo for resources -- food, sleeping spaces, and
most of all my attention, which he wanted 100% of. When there is a
seven-fold difference in body size, this can become very dangerous for
the smaller dog. Note that Solo did not initiate any of the conflicts
they had -- Skeeter has more guts than sense.

The situation was not critical, and could have been trained/managed (which
I was doing) but I wondered off and on if Skeeter would be happier
somewhere that he was either the only dog, or the favorite dog, or lived
with smaller, less dominant personalities than Solo. The fact of the
matter is that I was presented with many opportunities to rehome
Skeeter, but did not take them because (a) they were not perfect and
(b) I hate people who give away dogs.

Then I was presented with what looked like the perfect home and after
thinking about it a lot, decided to let him go on a trial placement. It
turns out that he is staying. Skeeter's new owner is an active agility
competitor with her female Papillon. Her husband is retired and home all
day and has adopted Skeeter as HIS dog. Skeeter has always preferred men
to women, and finally has someone -- male, even -- to whom he always
comes first and best and gets all of the attention from, all the time.
There is a pool he can indulge his love of swimming in three times a day
if he likes. He never has to compete for attention or status with Solo
again (it was a battle he was never, ever going to win). Skeeter has
also played an important role in lifting his new owner's spirits after
some rough times, and I will admit I am proud of having some part in that.

So, it isn't anything I ever wanted or thought I would do. I have never
thought there was any excuse for rehoming a dog other than, say, death or
dismemberment. But now I know that sometimes dogs can be rehomed and
that it is better for everyone involved, even if no one is dying or
becoming dismembered. I wish that I could have provided the perfect home
for Skeeter, and sometimes I still hate myself for being one of those
people who gives up perfectly good dogs. But Skeeter is happier, and
frankly, the Border Collies are happier too -- they are acting like
puppies. (I had no idea Skeeter had a dampening effect on them. I
thought they were just getting old.) Anything that makes Solo happier
is, to me, a good outcome.

I feel like Skeeter went from a good home -- I mean, he got to do
everything the Border Collies did and some extra besides -- to a perfect
home. But I still miss the little *******.

So, there's my confession. I'm sure the usual suspects will have a field
day with it, if they're still around.

Lovely post. I think you did absolutely the right thing in rehoming
Skeeter. No criticism from me.

flick 100785

Old September 15th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Melanie L Chang wrote:

So, there's my confession. I'm sure the usual suspects will have a field
day with it, if they're still around.

Sounds to me like you did what was best for the dog, and it sounds like
Skeeter is very happy.

You won't get any flack from me.
Old September 15th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

I feel like Skeeter went from a good home -- I mean, he got to do
everything the Border Collies did and some extra besides -- to a perfect
home. But I still miss the little *******.

So, there's my confession. I'm sure the usual suspects will have a field
day with it, if they're still around.

I can only imagine how hard your decision was, but it sounds like you did
what was best for everyone involved

Old September 15th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Rocky wrote:

Skeeter was probably already grooving to his new home
(ungrateful *******s that dogs can be)

Dogs are loyal
It is people that are not.
I have yet to see an
Ungrateful dog !
People Yes !
*******s who are dogs
Never !
People yes !

Mirelle

(Melanie L Chang) said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:
I feel like Skeeter went from a good home -- I mean, he got
to do everything the Border Collies did and some extra
besides -- to a perfect home. But I still miss the little
*******.

Good for you. A tough decision, but it sounds like the right
one. Skeeter was probably already grooving to his new home
(ungrateful *******s that dogs can be) while you were still
wondering if you did the right thing.

Old September 16th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

--
Melanie Lee Chang *
Canine Behavioral Genetics Project

Melanie,
I know how hard it can be to make such decisions and I think you are to
be admired for doing what is right for your dogs.
Have you been able to do any trialing with Fly? I thought you said a
while back that you aren't/weren't able to get to Oregon for the BIG
trial this fall.
Beth

Old September 16th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:18:34 -0400, "MauiJNP" wrote:

I feel like Skeeter went from a good home -- I mean, he got to do
everything the Border Collies did and some extra besides -- to a perfect
home. But I still miss the little *******.

So, there's my confession. I'm sure the usual suspects will have a field
day with it, if they're still around.

I can only imagine how hard your decision was, but it sounds like you did
what was best for everyone involved

That's one thing that fostering a lot of dogs does for you. You
realize that you may not be the best home for all of them. Whether it
is because of the people in the household, the other dogs in the
household, or whatever, sometimes you are a better waystation than
permanent stop. There is nothing wrong with helping a dog get to a
great home. Dumping a dog is taking a dog and putting it in a
shelter. Giving a dog to someone who will take good care of it is not
dumping the dog no matter whether you originally intended to just
foster the dog or intended to keep it forever when you took the dog
into your home.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,