Yet Another Housetraining Problem

Old September 18th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Yet Another Housetraining Problem

I purchased a Yorkshire Terrier puppy from a local breeder and have had
him for about six years. During this time, he has been stubborn about
urinating inside. We've started keeping him in an adequately sized
crate while we're at work and keeping a leash on him while we're in bed
(tethered to one of our arms).

This seems to be fixing the "we can't see you" problem, but lately he's
been getting bad about urinating right in front of us. Within the last
month, he's been dribbling a lot inside. He used to go to the door, a
signal that he needed out. Now, he'll be acting normal, then break into
a dash across the room and relieve himself as we're watching.

Today, for example, my wife took him out for a 15 minute walk, where he
urinated several times. About an hour later, he drizzled on our porch.
About an hour or so after that, he made a mad dash to the living room
and urinated right in the middle of the floor.

He's really getting on our last nerve at this point, and I don't know
what else to try. I've tried scheduled and consistent walks, doggy
litter boxes, crate training, and even obedience training.

He is in a crate while we're at work, and does not urinate in the
crate. This leads me to believe this is a behavioral problem, and not
medical.

Any ideas or suggestions?