Chronic Symptoms - Help!

Old September 20th 06, 01:01 AM
tinydogsrule tinydogsrule is offline
Junior Member

Default Chronic Symptoms - Help!

Hello,

I purchased an AKC puppy and picked him up from a breeder out of state. I immediately noticed on the drive back he was sick and it sounded like pneumonia.

I took him to the vet the next day, taking care to keep him upstairs, away from my other 2 dogs just in case.

Long story short, they all got sick, it has been 2 months now that I have had 3 sick dogs, over $600 in vet bills, X-rays, three different courses of antibiotics, steroids, cough suppressants, anti-inflammatories, pepto bismal - still coughing like they are about to hack up a lung, vomiting, intermittent diarrea, sneezing, loss of appetite, lethargy and now fungal ear infections - possibly from being on the antibiotics for so long.

They all three live inside with dog door access to small fenced yard in a clean, quiet home and are spoiled, ideal weight, take daily walks, are under 3 years old with no prior health issues. They have had all their shots and used to be perky, frisky, goofy little guys and now they are depressed, tired, sickly and declining.

Has anyone had recurrent or persistant Kennel Cough expereince? How did you help it go away? Did it turn out to be something else?

Any info or assistance greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

tinydogsrule

PS they are all three pomeranians
Old September 20th 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Toni

"tinydogsrule" wrote in message
Has anyone had recurrent or persistant Kennel Cough expereince? How did
you help it go away? Did it turn out to be something else?

What part of the country are you in?
Canine influenza is always a worry...
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/dogflu.asp

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old September 20th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
TaraG

"Toni" wrote in message
.. .

"tinydogsrule" wrote in message
Has anyone had recurrent or persistant Kennel Cough expereince? How did
you help it go away? Did it turn out to be something else?

What part of the country are you in?
Canine influenza is always a worry...
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/dogflu.asp

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the post.

Tara

Old September 20th 06, 07:23 PM
tinydogsrule tinydogsrule is offline
Junior Member

What part of the country are you in?
Canine influenza is always a worry...
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Dog Flu

Toni
7 Rules for Pet Ownership[/quote]

I am in New Mexico and was under the impression that was on the East Coast, and the puppy came from a breeder in Texas. I have a call into my vet and will ask about that - I appreciate the feedback
tinydogsrule
Old September 23rd 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.dogs.labrador
[email protected]

First of all I am very sorry that your little puppies are sick. It is
very hard watching something so small be so very sick. In my experience
if a puppy is continuously sick and can't seem to get over a cold there
are a few options. Have your puppies been nebulized either with
gentocin or amikacin (which are both strong antibiotics)? You could
also ask your vet if they could do a tracheal was on the pups to see
what is infecting them. Hopefully your pups will get better soon and I
wish you all the best.