post-dog fight. next step?

Old September 20th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Default post-dog fight. next step?

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:23:37 -0400, elegy
wrote:

mushroom's already a somewhat defensive dog with other dogs. he
doesn't generally start stuff, but he'll overreact pretty quickly. i'm
worried what this is going to have done to his brain.

i didn't walk them today because i'm exhausted and sore, but i dont
know if i should just carry on as usual, if i should take special
steps to minimize effects, if i should not worry about it?

I would take him for his first walk after this incident at a time you
are not likely to see other dogs. Right after an incident that might
make him more defensive, I'd want to have an incident where nothing
happens and he can relax the defensiveness. You might also want to
just walk him for a while to make sure you have both hands if he does
react differently to strange dogs now.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old September 20th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Great advice, however I would add, use two hands, but do so in a
relaxed fashion. If your stress level elevates every time another dog
comes around it is very likely that that stress will transfer right
down the leash to him. This will only make it more difficult for him
to relax his defensiveness. So be cautious and careful, but hide the
fact that you are from the dog.