How to determine a rescue dog's age?

Old July 25th 03, 05:44 PM
Suja

Default How to determine a rescue dog's age?

G.McRae wrote:

Does anyone know of any other indicators? Gums? Eyes? Claws?

Hard to nearly impossible to tell, unless they're below 18 months or 2
years of age. The wear and tear on the teeth as well as its condition
are probably among the best indicators, but that's not a sure thing
either.

My dog's age estimate varied from 2 years to 5 years (depending on who
was doing the paperwork, the vet guessed 3). Being optimists, we picked
2, which would make him around 4 or 5 now. Comparing his teeth to
another dog who is also around the same age (known DOB), I'd say that
his are in *much* better condition, with much less wear. But, my dog is
low on his chewing instincts, while the other dog has been eating bones
nearly daily, and plays with tennis balls, which I suspect also contributes.

Suja

Old July 26th 03, 03:17 AM
Countdown to 55

It seems like a simple question, but I've just done a great deal of Web
searching and come up with almost nothing.

As far as teeth go, between the age of 2 (when they stop growing) and old
age (when they show heavy tartar and wear) there's not a lot to go by.

Does anyone know of any other indicators? Gums? Eyes? Claws?

My vet uses the eyes as an indicator if the dog is older than 2yrs. She told
me she can tell by the changes in the eyes as a dog ages. But it's not
something a person can really tell without the vet equipment she uses. She
also then adjusts the age according to the breed. For example, the eyes of the
brachycephalic breeds tend to age faster than the eyes of other breeds. So a 4
year old Boston Terrier could have the eyes of a 6 year old Sheltie.

Cindy

Old July 26th 03, 09:15 PM
G.McRae

Thanks, you guys! That helps a lot. My dog's pretty darn bouncy and
puppyish but he's got lots of wear on his teeth. At least now I know the
vet's inaccurate basing his estimate on teeth alone.

....G.

Old July 26th 03, 09:27 PM
Tracy Custer

On the flip side, teeth can be in poor condition on a relatively young
dog in some instances. Our ACD, Spike, was 2.5 yrs old when we adopted
him from the shelter.....an owner turn-in, so his age was determined
within a month or so. But his teeth looked horrible! Much tartar,
stains, and wear, cracked and broken teeth. He was a working dog,
herding cattle his whole life (which can account for much of it), and
probably had some bad "teeth" genes, to boot. Many people , including
our vet, have guessed him older; but his extreme high
energy/drive/playfulness helps prove his true age. He has since had the
teeth cleaned and is smiling pretty, now!

Tracy

EAT, SLEEP, DISC-DOG!

http://community.webtv.net/tracycust...rnOhioFlyinK9s

http://community.webtv.net/tracycust...USTERGRUBPAGE0