Housetraining

Old September 20th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
tolbiny

Default Housetraining

We just bought a 8 week old Westie puppy. We have a cage he stays in at
night without problems. He is fed 3 times a day and taken out to do his
business every 40 min to an hour during the day. I know he doesn't have
control yet and will have accidents inside and we do not punish him when he
does.Since we are retired we are at home all day and my wife likes to let
him run around the house even when after being taken out he does nothing
outside.
My question is , should he be kept in his cage when we are not playing with
him,even during the day so as not to mess in the house. Will he learn faster
to only go outside if he is never given the opportunity to urinate in the
house?

Old September 20th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:24:59 -0500, diddy ,
clicked their heels and said:

nope.. if he does nothing, stay outside with him until he does... or bring
him in and crate him, or tether him to you, until his next interval to go
out. But no free-unsupervised running in the house, if he missed his
interval, or you are asking to extend the housetraining experience, for an
already difficult-to-houetrain-breed-of-dog.

I have a slight variation in recommendation here. When you're pretty
sure he should produce SOMETHING, don't wait for the net interval.
Confine/tether for 10 minutes and try again. Basically, freedom only
happens once production is successful.

My question is , should he be kept in his cage when we are not playing
with him,even during the day so as not to mess in the house.

when unsupervised-absolutely!

Another slight comment - you don't have to be actively playing with
him. If he's peed as asked, he can have supervised house freedom even
if it's just hanging out at your feet or following while you putter.
The only time I crate is when I'm asleep, not home, or something like
showering, where I can't possibly watch.

Will he
learn faster to only go outside if he is never given the opportunity
to urinate in the house?

yes

Yes as well, but that doesn't mean keeping him in the crate all of the
time. Limit crate usage, but keep an eagle eye on him as well as your
wise schedule and the new recommendations and you'll get there before
long.
--
Janet Boss
Old September 21st 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Another slight comment - you don't have to be actively playing with
him. If he's peed as asked, he can have supervised house freedom even
if it's just hanging out at your feet or following while you putter.
The only time I crate is when I'm asleep, not home, or something like
showering, where I can't possibly watch.

for what its worth, when I am showering, the dogs are in the bathroom with
me and they get a kong. I hate to use the crate unless I absolutely have
too (of course, I have 2 small dogs so they fit in the bathroom stetched out
on a small rug)

Old September 21st 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I hate to use the crate unless I absolutely have
too [...]

I have to ask. Why?

Old September 21st 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On 21 Sep 2006 03:20:31 GMT, Rocky , clicked
their heels and said:

I hate to use the crate unless I absolutely have
too [...]

I have to ask. Why?

Not Jenny, but I find it one more step that I would rather not have to
do (and one more thing taking up space). I don't object to crates
at all, and use them as long as necessary, but my goal will always be
to get rid of them in the home. They will always be in the car and at
events, but I'd rather not have them taking up space in my house!

--
Janet Boss
Old September 21st 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon

Not Jenny, but I find it one more step that I would rather not have to
do (and one more thing taking up space). I don't object to crates
at all, and use them as long as necessary, but my goal will always be
to get rid of them in the home. They will always be in the car and at
events, but I'd rather not have them taking up space in my house!

Our dogs were/are crate trained, but by about age 2-3 they are so well
adjusted and trained that they don't need them at all and the crates back
out to the garage. That's not to say that all dogs will graduate from them!

-Sharon

Old September 21st 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Crating (was Housetraining)

Janet B wrote:

Not Jenny, but I find it one more step that I would rather not have to
do (and one more thing taking up space). I don't object to crates
at all, and use them as long as necessary, but my goal will always be
to get rid of them in the home. They will always be in the car and at
events, but I'd rather not have them taking up space in my house!

I don't crate Harriet anymore (yay!), but I do keep her crate out
because it's a safe place for her to go when her brane gets twitchy.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old September 21st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Not Jenny, but I find it one more step that I would rather
not have to do (and one more thing taking up space).

I understand that, but Jenny's statement implied that the crate
was accessible but that she hated to use it. "Hate" is a strong
word and I was interested as to whether her dogs have crate
issues or if she has some misconceptions about crates.

Old September 21st 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

I hate to use the crate unless I absolutely have
too [...]

I have to ask. Why?

I like to have my dogs with me whenever I can. My first alternative to
crating them is to just put them in my room with the gate up so they can't
get out.

I do still have one crate in my room. Two took up too much space and Cali
pretty much outgrew hers (she grew too tall). Cali uses the crate that I
originally bought for Maui and goes in it when I go away (since she chews
anything and everything and can't be trusted when home alone). Maui very
rarely gets crated. For example, I will crate him if he is really
muddy/dirty and I can't wash him right away (like if I am leaving for work
or something like that). He doesn't mind the crate too much and sometimes
he puts himself in there to sleep. Cali does really well in her crate. She
never barks to get out, except when I come home from being away (and thats
an excited bark not an "annoyed" bark).

Instead of crating the dogs at times other people would chose to use them, I
use other alternatives, such as putting them in the bathroom with me,
tethering them to me, gating them in my room, etc.

Old September 21st 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

and the crates back out to the garage.

that's where Cali's old crate is, just in case.

That's not to say that all dogs will graduate from them!

I don't know if Cali will ever not have one. She is a chewer and doesn't
stop grabbing things she shouldn't have, even if I am right there to say
"No" and exchange the item for something she can chew on.