Husky escape artist (THE JULIE ALTSHULER METHOD OF DOG TRAINING)

Old August 25th 03, 02:57 AM
212micheal

Default Husky escape artist (THE JULIE ALTSHULER METHOD OF DOG TRAINING)

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Han Solo wrote:

Do any of you have an idea of what I might do to keep my Husky safe
and in the
yard instead of wandering the streets?

I'd give up on that goal and shoot for keeping your Husky safe and in the house.

BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!

the michael/dogtv.com networks method of offleash dog training in the
real world

http://dogtv.com/4LANE3.rm
http://dogtv.com/4LANE3.rm
http://dogtv.com/4LANE3.rm
http://dogtv.com/4LANE3.rm
http://dogtv.com/4LANE3.rm

the LIA METHOD OF DOG (BWHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!) TRAINING

Here's info from our leading clicker training expert, Julie Altshuler:

THE LIA METHOD OF DOG TRAINING
all methods by Julia Altshuler
edited by michael patton of dogtv.com networks
copyright 2001-2002

You too can have a dog trained just like Cubbe if you spend
three years training just like Lia did. [editor's note]

Dog Training, The Lia Way (featuring fear, ignorance,
incompetence avoidance, shock containment devices and
clicker training) [editor's note]

PART I (laying the groundwork) [editor's note]

From: Julia F N Altshuler )
Subject: 1 step forward, 2 steps back
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 2001-01-07 19:28:05 PST

Cubbe got out in the neighborhood leashless for the first
time in roughly 2 years. The first few times were when we
first got her before she'd had any training and before we
got the electric fence to reinforce the physical one.

It was horrible. She paid us no attention, ignored
clickers and treats and calls. Make that, it was horrible
for us. She had a blast running free and chasing whatever
she wanted. For us it was 45 minutes of sheer terror as
we tried to catch her. Luckily there wasn't too much
traffic yesterday morning. It had snowed, and the
streets weren't quite clear yet. Jim finally caught her
when she was preoccupied with her head down a hole.

For 2 years I've been giving her a daily long walk in the
neighborhood.She now walks pretty nicely on a leash. She
gets daily indoor clickertraining sessions. She has
perfect recalls in the house. She gets intermittent
treats for those recalls. She gets plenty of time to run
free in the backyard. Her recalls are less reliable
there, but I've been working on them. I haven't been as
good about introducing the variable reinforcement there,
but I have been good about making sure that she's
never tricked into coming into the house when she'd
rather be outside. I always call her, give her a treat
or praise and let her go again.

So I haven't been a perfect dog trainer, but I don't think
I'm a terrible one. I say that because I'm about to ask
y'all for some help in correcting my mistakes, and while
I don't mind criticism for past mistakes, I am hoping
you'll concentrate on what I should do now.

Yesterday morning Cubbe had had some nice backyard time.
I'd gotten her into the house and was preparing to leave
when she escaped straight through the front door and right
in front of our noses. She was still wearing the zap
collar, but the battery was low. She gave a small yip
when she went over the wire, and the chase ensued.

We were careful not to scold her once she was caught.

Today I let her out in the backyard with her usual zap
collar now with a fresh battery. She was waiting by the
backdoor to come in when I went to call her. From her
excited behavior, I could tell that she fully expected
to be let out the front door again so she could have
another fun romp in theneighborhood. I'm so filled with
anxiety from yesterday's escapade that I keep checking for
her every time I open the door.

Later in the afternoon, she was much worse about coming
when called even from the backyard.

My specific questions:

How do I teach recalls when she so clearly knows when
she's in a confined space and when she isn't?

She normally only wears the zap collar when she's in the
backyard because the wire goes around the house and could
zap her when she's near certain windows inside. If I let
her get zapped at the front door with the zap collar, can
I still take the zap collar off and walk her out the
front door with her leash on? I don't want her to become
afraid of the front door.

What's the best emergency procedure if, god forbid, it
should happen again?

Might Cubbe be ready for harsher training techniques? By
this I mean, I've been using clicker and treats for Cubbe
because she so obviously freaked when we used leash
corrections and scoldings when we first got her.

I know this is a hard subject to bring up without starting
the whole cruelty thread again so I'll state my opinion
once and won't defend it further: any method can be cruel
for some dogs. Even the slightest punishment was wrong for
Cubbe at the beginning, but we've come a long way since
then. She trusts us now as I mentioned in a recent post.
Point is, she's been rewarded for coming, but she's never
been punished, even in the mildest way, for not coming.
Is it time for that? What might I look for to tell?

Last night we had friends over for dinner with their 3
daughters ages 14, 10 and 7. The girls loved Cubbe and
were having a blast clicker training her. I was
impressed with how quickly they caughton and how little
correction they needed to be consistent with the clicks
and treats. Cubbe was fine with the children; she always
has been. Just as they were getting ready to go, the 10
year old went to give Cubbe a hug. Cubbe must have felt
threatened and confined because she gave a snarl-snap.

I was right there, and without thinking I quickly yelled,
turned Cubbe over on her back, got in the face and let her
know that no snarling is allowed. The girl wasn't
frightened at all, and her parents who were also right
there hadn't realized what had happened. I then asked the
snarlee to rub Cubbe's belly further to reinforce that
Cubbe is the submissive one in that relationship. I let
Cubbe up and all was fine.

I suppose that's another issue, but I bring it up as part
of wondering if Cubbe should be trained with punishments
now. Like I said, I did that without thinking, and now I
think it was the right thing to do. So how do I apply
this to dealing with Cubbe the escapee?

--Lia

PART II (the payoff) [editor's note]

Subject: nipping aggression in the bud
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 04:20:49 GMT
From: Julia Altshuler
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I need help deciding if I have a real problem with Cubbe
that needs immediate attention or if I'm imagining trouble
where there is none. Here's what happened last April the
way I described it to a friend at the time:

I'm worried about Cubbe. Or rather, I'm kicking myself for
doing something stupid. Ellie has been over many times and
has always gotten along great with Cubbe. Cubbe is always
at the door when I let Ellie in. She's barky-protective
but then stops barking once Ellie is inside. She's never
shown any real aggression. The other night Ellie and I
went out together to run an errand. Ellie was coming in
the house with packages so I came in first and put Cubbe in
the bedroom with Jim so Ellie could get through the door
more easily. I could hear Cubbe barking. Once Ellie was
inside, I opened the bedroom door for Cubbe. She ran out to
attack the intruder. Ellie was trying to be friendly.
Ellie put a tooth in Ellie's finger. Granted the resulting
scratch was no worse than the way my cuticles bleed when
they get dry and I don't rub lotion into them every night,
but Ellie was understandably scared. Jim ran out and got
control of Cubbe right away. I got Ellie some alcohol and
a bandage. The scary thing is that, even though the damage
is minor, it does qualify as a bite since Cubbe did mean to
do it. I guess I should just learn from it and never let
Cubbe greet someone like that again, but I'm horribly torn
up. I've said that I would never keep an aggressive dog.
Now the whole issue is so complicated. Cubbe is great even
with kids when we meet them in the neighborhood.

Since then I've been careful not to do anything like that.
Then Halloween night Cubbe spent most of the night in the
computer room with Jim while I answered the door. She did
bark each time she heard the doorbell ring. We did nothing
to discourage that. We want her to be barky protective so
it made sense for her to bark when she heard people in the
neighborhood, especially at night. Later in the evening,
Jim put Cubbe on a leash and was hanging out with her in the
front hall while I still got the door. One of the first
people to come to the door once she was out of the computer
room was our neighbor Nicky. I think Nicky is 11 now. He's
known Cubbe since we got her 4 years ago, has always liked
her, petted her and asked to come on walks. Nick lifted his
mask on the porch so I'd know who it was. Then I invited
him into the hall to pet Cubbe. Cubbe snarled and sort of
air snapped at him. Of course Jim was right there so no
damage was done. Nick didn't even have to draw his hand
away, and he didn't get scared. Nothing scares that boy.

I don't like this. Twice now Cubbe has been overly
protective-aggressive when people have entered the house.
Both times they've been people she knows and should like.
She's wonderfully nice to people on walks. We don't have
guests over too often so I can't comment if it's a growing
thing or not.

Comments please.

BWAAHWAHHAAHAHHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!! [editor's note]

Is this a major growing aggression
problem? I'd guess it's territoriality about the house
and yard. What do I do about it? I usually put Cubbe on a
leash when friends come over and then walk her outside while
the friend gets out of her car, and then we walk in
together.She'll still bark when they're in the house and
then calm down. Is that a good idea? Should I be doing
something more to make sure this doesn't escalate?

--Lia

this concludes the Lia Method of Dog Training
BWAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAA!!!! [editor's note]

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

--Lia