golden retriever eye mucous

Old September 24th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default golden retriever eye mucous

4-year-old female golden retriever. Past 5 mornings she has cloudy
mucous in her left eye only. Mucous has no yellow or green color and
it doesn't appear to bother her at all, but this is definitely
something out of the normal. Like I say, it just started about 5 days
ago. I gently remove it by twirling a cotton swap near the corner of
her eye, and the stuff pulls out and wraps around the cotton swap.

Will this clear up on its own, or is it a precursor to a more severe
problem?

PS - As far as I know, she didn't injure her eye. There's no evidence
at all of injury or infection. No redness or swelling. The eye
doesn't seem to bother her.

Old September 24th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

wrote:
4-year-old female golden retriever. Past 5 mornings she has cloudy
mucous in her left eye only. Mucous has no yellow or green color and
it doesn't appear to bother her at all, but this is definitely
something out of the normal. Like I say, it just started about 5 days
ago. I gently remove it by twirling a cotton swap near the corner of
her eye, and the stuff pulls out and wraps around the cotton swap.

Will this clear up on its own, or is it a precursor to a more severe
problem?

PS - As far as I know, she didn't injure her eye. There's no evidence
at all of injury or infection. No redness or swelling. The eye
doesn't seem to bother her.

I forgot to mention, she hasn't had her head wet for a several weeks,
so I don't think she got any shampoo or anything in her eye.

Old September 25th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Kathleen wrote:

Kathleen
"Oh for Pete's sake, you big weenie, just hold still! I've used it
myself, it doesn't hurt it's just cold..."

Our 4-year-old Golden is so trusting she will let me do almost anything
without complaining. She senses it is for her own good. All she's
ever known her short life is love and good treatment.

I clean her ears, clip her toenails, even stick my hands in her mouth
to scrape the tartar off her back teeth with no complaints. She lets
me remove the mucous from that left eye, but she instinctively wants to
close it.

This morning there was no mucous. Hopefully, this has cleared up on
its own.