Locking leash for smaller dogs?

Old October 3rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jennyanniedots

Default Locking leash for smaller dogs?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a locking leash - something that will allow me to lock
up my dog to a pole while I run into the coffee shop, etc. I've seen
the DogLock already, and while it looks to be the perfect product, the
collar only goes down to 12 inches, which would be too big for my dog.
I asked the manufacturer about a smaller version and they said it can't
be done, as the leash is quite heavy and a smaller dog could have
trouble with the weight.

Surely I can't be the only person with a small (12 lbs) dog who needs a
locking leash/collar. Is there a security system for the smaller pooch?

Thanks in advance,
jen

Old October 3rd 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 3 Oct 2006 09:50:54 -0700, "Jennyanniedots" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I'm looking for a locking leash - something that will allow me to lock
up my dog to a pole while I run into the coffee shop, etc.

I think a lock is only one of the worries about leaving a dog tied
outside a shop. If he's that little, how about a tote bag and bring
him in with you? Or leave him home?

--
Janet Boss
Old October 3rd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jennyanniedots

Hi Janet,
Watson's too big to carry in a bag (he's about knee high at the head).
I of course am not talking about leaving him locked up for hours, but
rather want to be able to incorporate him more into my daily life. For
instance, if I am walking to the drug store, it would be nice to take
him along rather than leave him at home. So, short periods. I'm just
paranoid about him being stolen!
-jen

Old October 3rd 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 3 Oct 2006 09:58:58 -0700, "Jennyanniedots" ,
clicked their heels and said:

. For
instance, if I am walking to the drug store, it would be nice to take
him along rather than leave him at home. So, short periods. I'm just
paranoid about him being stolen!

I'm paranoid about leaving a dog outside a store at all (I know, but
there are a lot of whackos out there). People feeding your dog stuff,
people letting their dogs approach yours (and perhaps disasterous
results), etc.

Something to consider - ASK if you can bring your mannerly dog IN.
You'd be surprised at how many places may allow you to!

--
Janet Boss
Old October 3rd 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Jennyanniedots wrote:
Hi Janet,
Watson's too big to carry in a bag (he's about knee high at the head).
I of course am not talking about leaving him locked up for hours, but
rather want to be able to incorporate him more into my daily life. For
instance, if I am walking to the drug store, it would be nice to take
him along rather than leave him at home. So, short periods.

I can sympathize with that. It *would* be nice if I could take my
dog more places with me. However, after weighing the potential
risks, I don't think the benefits are worth it.

I'm just paranoid about him being stolen!

I'd be more paranoid about people messing with him. Don't
underestimate the stupidity of random folks off the street. Also,
if he's tied up outside, by himself, he has absolutely zero
protection from loose or uncontrolled animals.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old October 3rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Janet B wrote:

On 3 Oct 2006 09:58:58 -0700, "Jennyanniedots" ,
clicked their heels and said:

. For
instance, if I am walking to the drug store, it would be nice to take
him along rather than leave him at home. So, short periods. I'm just
paranoid about him being stolen!

I'm paranoid about leaving a dog outside a store at all (I know, but
there are a lot of whackos out there). People feeding your dog stuff,
people letting their dogs approach yours (and perhaps disasterous
results), etc.

....People letting their toddler maul your dog, people who think it's
funny to tease a dog... And then there are the *real* psych cases. I
had some muttering Gomer trying to let my dog out of his crate at a demo
at a local community fair.

No. Don't leave your dog tied up.

Something to consider - ASK if you can bring your mannerly dog IN.
You'd be surprised at how many places may allow you to!

Probably no indoor restaurants although I've found that restaurants with
patio or sidewalk seating mostly don't mind a well-behaved dog lounging
under the table, and will bring water and treats for canine companions.

Beauty salons and barber shops are a definite no-no as are health care
facilities.

Hardware stores and outdoor outfitters are generally dog-tolerant.

My guess is that unless you carry this dog in a purse or a backpack
you're not going to get away with taking him into a drug store. All
that means is that you'll either buy a backpack or leave him home when
you're walking to the drug store.

Again, DON'T leave him tied up outside.

Kathleen

Old October 4th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On 3 Oct 2006 09:50:54 -0700 Jennyanniedots whittled these words:

Surely I can't be the only person with a small (12 lbs) dog who needs a
locking leash/collar. Is there a security system for the smaller pooch?

I sympathize with the feeling but after watching a lot of people around my
dog while I was doing laundry I decided that risk of theft was the least
of the issues. I'm no longer comfortable leaving my dog unwatched and
unprotected from people's hands, feet, passing dogs etc. People are just
idiots, it is scary.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence

Old October 4th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Kathleen wrote:

My guess is that unless you carry this dog in a purse or a backpack
you're not going to get away with taking him into a drug store. All
that means is that you'll either buy a backpack or leave him home when
you're walking to the drug store.

Again, DON'T leave him tied up outside.

Kathleen

I saw the weirdest item in our local feed store recently. I couldn't
imagine a good use for it, until this thread... it was a doggie
stroller. So long as no one looks too closely, it might be just what
you need!

Old October 4th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Jennyanniedots wrote:
A dog-carrying backpack? I'd love one! Any links or name-brands to
recommend?
-Jen

For starters:

http://www.buyoutwardhound.com/outwa...-carriers.html
http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/backpack1.shtml
http://tailsbythebay.stores.yahoo.net/dogdevdogbac.html

Google on "dog carriers backpack" for about a million other links. "Dog
backpack" is going to mostly get you packs for the dog to wear.

Kathleen